Five easy steps to ease your stiff neck
5 Steps to Ease Your Stiff Neck...
Have you ever woke up having stiff neck? Have you experienced the pain when turning your head on another side? Well, here are some good tips you can do to ease that stiffness. Please remember that these steps cannot be used for neck conditions that need medical attention. If you got a stiff neck because you slept in the wrong position like having too high pillow, then it's safe to do the following:
- Get a warm towel or if you have a hot pack (gel based) at home, that would be better, and leave it on the stiffed part of your neck. This will help relax your neck muscles. If you're using a warm towel, it would be best if you have a bucket filled with warm water and about 2-3 pieces of towels so you can change it whenever the warmth fades on it. You can keep doing this until you feel a bit of ease from the pain. Just a reminder, don't overdo it as you might get skin burn especially if you're using a hot pack. And before applying the warm towel or hot pack on the affected part, make sure that you have a dry towel on it to prevent skin burn as well.
- Now, we're going to do some exercise. On the affected side, let's say, you can't move your head going to your left. Push your head going to the right but you have to use your hand to prevent it from doing that by pushing it back. Keep this position for about 10 seconds, then relax for 5 seconds. You can ask someone to hold your head or you can use your own hand to do this.
- After that, move your head going to your left until you feel the pain. Once you felt the pain, go back to step 2. Just don't push it too hard as you might feel a lot of pain. Be patient and keep it easy.
- Now check if there's a progress then apply the hot pack or warm towel on the affected part once more to have it relaxed.
- Try to move your head from different directions - side to side, left to right, look down and look up, and rotation (circular motion). Moving your shoulders as well will help your neck muscles to relax.
It's still best to consult a doctor or to have your neck checked by a physiatrist or a physical therapist so you can be given professional attention.
- Common Causes of Neck Pain
Common causes of neck pain are all related to a forward head posture. Office work, hobbies, sleep, and the brain all have the potential to create muscle asymmetry leading to neck pain.
- Ouch! Neck Pain? Five Simple Yoga Stretches To Ease Pain and Tension in Your Neck and Shoulders
Have you ever woken up with a stiff neck or sore shoulders? Maybe you had a bad night and kept tossing and turning in bed, unable to find a comfortable position to sleep in? Perhaps you are a busy mum and...
Did you find the tips helpful?See results without voting
More by this Author
Going on a trip out of the country? Try to visit the Philippines and see what over seven thousand islands can offer.
Visiting the Philippines, particularly Metro Manila? Try going to Las Pinas and find out what the greenest and cleanest city in Metro Manila could offer.
This hub outlines 10 of the most popular things that people are interested in collecting. Read through and you might find your collection in the list.