Prevention of Urinary Tract Infections
Urinary Tract Physiology
A bladder or urinary tract infection is very uncomfortable, affecting women much more often than men. There are a few ways to try to help prevent this problem. The urinary system is comprised of your kidney, bladder, ureters and the urethra. The system is responsible for removing waste from the body through urine.
In a healthy urinary system antibodies are used by the immune system to identify and neutralize foreign objects, such as bacteria and viruses. Urine is the normally sterile but may appear cloudy with an infection. Immunoglobulin are proteins that fight bacteria and are used by the immune system to identify and neutralize foreign objects, such as bacteria and viruses.
Woman in Pain
Signs and Symptoms of a Bladder Infection
When you get a urinary tract infection (UTI) there will be
no doubt as to what the problem is as the symptoms are very distinctive and
painful. Fifty percent of women get at
least one UTI in their lifetime and many have several infections, The distinctive symptoms of a urinary tract infection include:
- A strong urge to urinate immediately
- Pain with a small amount of urine
- Blood tinged urine,
- May have a strong odor
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Soreness may occur in the lower abdomen or back
- Possible fever above 101°
- Chills and shaking or night sweats
- Sometimes nausea and vomiting.
Women have pelvic pain while men have rectal pain. It is important to get medical treatment as soon as you realize you have this infection. It will continue to travel up to your kidneys and become more serious.
Physical Anatomy of Urinary System
Natural Remedies for Bladder Infections
The doctor will want a urine specimen for a culture before treating you with an antibiotic to make sure he is prescribing the right medication. If you are a women who gets these infections frequently he probably would begin treatment immediately. You can buy Pyridium over the counter and keep on hand to treat the painful spasms that accompany these infections. This medication doesn’t treat the infection.
Women who get frequent infections quite often keep a 3 day supply of antibiotics in their home so they can start immediate treatment at the first sign of infection. There are some women who have to take a singe daily dose of an antibiotic to prevent the infection.
Common Cause of Bladder Infection
The most common cause of UTI’s happen due to bacteria from the bowel that live on the skin near the rectum or in the vagina, which can spread and enter the urinary tract through the urethra. Once bacteria enter the urethra they travel toward the bladder causing the infection
Sex as a Cause
Sexual intercourse is a common cause of urinary tract infections because the female anatomy can make women more prone to urinary tract infections. During sexual activity, bacteria in the vaginal area are sometimes massaged into the urethra. Women who have more sexual partners often have more infections.
Another cause of UTI’s is waiting too long to urinate. The bladder is a muscle that stretches to hold urine and contracts when the urine is released. The muscle can weaken over time, and then it may not empty completely. Some women have jobs that keep them from being able to empty their bladders as often as necessary.
A few other factors are pregnancy, diabetes and menopause that can increase your risk of infection. Avoid coffee, alcohol, and spicy foods, all of which irritate the bladder. Also quit smoking. Smoking irritates the bladder and is known to cause bladder cancer
Kidney Infection Byte
Signs and Symptoms for a man
While women have pelvic pain, men have rectal pain. The symptoms the men get are otherwise similar to the womans.
Cranberries and Juice
- Home treatment ways to help prevent bladder infections:
- Drink plenty of fluids - the equivalent of six to eight 8-ounce glasses - every day to flush bacteria out of your urinary system. This does NOT mean eight glasses of water in addition to everything else you drink.
- Make sure you're getting a lot of vitamin C in your diet or take a 1000 mg vitamin C tablet daily,
- Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, makes your urine acidic, which discourages the growth of bacteria.
- Drinking cranberry juice coats the wall of the bladder so the bacteria cannot stick to the walls. Cranberry tablets are a more concentrated form of cranberry juice without the sugar content. Either is effective.
- Urinate every two to three hours. Keeping urine in your bladder for long periods gives bacteria a place to grow.
- Avoid using feminine hygiene sprays and scented douches. They also may irritate the urethra.
- Always wipe from the front to the back and teach this to your little girls at a young age.
- Urinate after sex.
If you suffer from urinary tract infections more than three times a year, your health care professional may suggest one of the following therapies to try to prevent another recurrence:
- a low dosage of an antibiotic medication, such as trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole or nitrofurantoin, taken daily for six months or longer
- a single dose of an antibiotic medication taken after sexual intercourse if it is determined that your UTIs are related to sex.
- a short, one- or two-day course of antibiotic medication taken when symptoms appear.
Children, Cats and Dogs Get UTI's
Young children, dogs and cats can all get urinary tract infections. You might not be aware that you pet is ill immediately, but they can get serious ill quickly. Obviously children need to be seen by their pediatricians.
Cats and dogs both need a vet appointment as soon as possible as it is sometimes tough to tell exactly what the problem is with pets. If you note blood tinged urine, or if your pet feels much warmer than usual, that might mean they have a fever, so It is best to err on the side of safety.
As with all diseases doctors are seeing some resistance to the typical antibiotic treatments as the bacteria get stronger. Scientists at the University of Michigan are working on a new vaccine that will effectively prevent urinary tract infections. It actually works by preparing the body to fight Escherichia coli (E-Coli} which is the most common cause of UTI’s and has been very effective in studies. The bad news is that it will take 3-5 years to be put on the market.
As you are aware bladder or urinary tract infection are painful, and we want to focus on prevention.
Women and Bladder Infections
How often do you get bladder infections?See results without voting
Comments 41 comments
Bladder Infection Information Sites
- Signs symptoms dog cat bladder infection
Signs & symptoms of canine and feline bladder infection: early detection for dogs and cats with urinary bladder disease
- Bladder Infection Symptoms and Causes
Bladder infections explained by the medical experts at WebMD.
- Urinary tract infection (UTI) - MayoClinic.com
Urinary tract infection (UTI) Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, treatment and possible home remedies.
Some of my Hubs
- Trim Down Tips and Helpful Gadgets
I have found some diet tips that work for me and some great electronic gadgets that help me exercise safely. First there is no magic formula diet for losing weight. Most diets work over a period of time as...
- Gluten Free Diet -Eat Hardy
The gluten-free diet is the treatment for Celiac disease. Celiac disease (also called sprue) is an inherited, autoimmune disease in where the lining in the small intestine is damaged as the villi of the...
- Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome an Exhausting Battle
Adrenal fatigue syndrome is a condition that has caused a lot of controversy in the medical community. Some feel it is a tremendously under diagnosed disease and others most believe the symptoms the patient...
- Lupus -New Hope for Lupus Disease
Lupus is an acute and chronic autoimmune disease in which the immune system is unbalanced, causing inflammation and tissue damage to virtually any organ in the body. Lupus can be unpredictable and...
© 2010 Pamela Oglesby
More by this Author
Crohn's disease vs ulcerative colitis is explained, along with the common symptoms, diagnostic methods and the most common treatments. There is no cure for this disease, but is can be controlled.
Shingles is a very painful viral and often serious infection. If you have had chicken pox you have a higher risk. This article explains symptoms, gives you typical treatments and lista risk factors.
The history of mens and women's bathing suits is shown with pictures. The history starts in the early 1900s with pictures of various bathing suits up to the current thong bikinis.