What is Hyperemesis Gravidarum | Symptoms of Hyperemesis Gravidarum
Hyperemesis Gravidarum is a rare but severe form of morning sickness associated with pregnancy. This form of morning sickness causes excessive nausea and vomiting that prevents someone who is pregnant from consuming or retaining foods and fluids. This can cause many complications for the mother and the baby. Lack of nutrients and hydration are major concerns associated with Hyperemesis. Hyperemesis is often misdiagnosed because morning sickness is such a common aspect of pregnancy. Because of this is it is very important to pay attention to the details of each bout of sickness and make your doctor aware of these details. Knowing exactly what is going on will help your doctor take the right steps to help you solve this problem. Learning more about what Hyperemesis is will help you get through this for a healthy pregnancy.
Symptoms of Hyperemesis
Knowing the symptoms of Hyperemesis is your first step to controlling the problem. It maybe hard to diagnose Hyperemesis as stated above. Therefore, when you have the confidence that comes with knowledge you and your doctor can work together and find the solution that is right for you.
Symptoms of Hyperemesis
- Sense of taste is altered
- Constipation associated with dehydration
- Rapid changes in hormone levels
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Sensitivity to the brain when body is in motion
- Stress that is of a physical or emotional nature
- Metabolic imbalance
- Broken blood vessels in the eye
- Loss of 5% or more of pre-pregnancy body weight
Complications of Hyperemesis Gravidarum
Hyperemesis can lead to other complications. Dehydration is not only a symptom but also one of the complications of Hyperemesis. Dehydration and other complications are listed below including an explanation of what they are and how they might affect you.
Complications of Hyperemesis
- Dehydration - an abnormal condition in which the cells of the body are deprived of sufficient amounts of water. Dehydration may result in the onset of seizures and in more severe cases can result in permanent brain damage or death.
- Malnutrition - this is a condition where a person is deprived of the proper nutrients the body needs to function. If left untreated malnutrition can lead to physical or mental disability.
- Renal Failure - this is when the kidneys fail to filter out toxins and other waste products. Complications of renal failure are anemia, high blood pressure and heart failure.
- Central Pontine Myelinolysis - a neurological disease caused by a too rapidly corrected sodium deficiency. It can cause acute paralysis, difficulty swallowing and communicating as well as other neurological complications.
- Acidosis - is a higher than normal amount of waste products in the bodies blood. It can cause acute confusion, breathlessness and Hyperkalemia.
- Death - although very rare death is a possibility when dealing with Hyperemesis. This is why it is very important to learn all you can about this disorder if you think you are showing symptoms.
More by this Author
Find free printable pumpkin carving stencils and patterns as well as the tools and tips needed to carve the perfect pumpkin or Jack-o'-lantern.
The potato can trace itself back to roots in the Andes Mountain region of South America. In 5000 B.C. the Pre-Colombian people started farming the potato. In it's 7000 year existence as a culinary staple it's made it's...