13 Gifts for my goddaughter Christine
I have a goddaughter (or inaanak in Filipino language) who's celebrating her thirteenth birthday on October 13th this year. Her father, who's my friend and former radio colleague, invited me through text about the occasion. When I texted back an affirmative answer, his daughter Christine (or Tintin) literally jumped with joy because after a decade and three years of absence, her godfather (or ninong) will be present on her natal day. ( I evade parties these days due to the unavoidable drinking session). My friend's wife also texted me jokingly that I was still alive.
I immediately thought of what to bring as gifts. A birthday cake with her name and greeting engraved or designed on the icing? Or nothing? Godfathers often give their goddaughters or godsons with money as gifts. How about a bottle of wine or an 80-proof liquor or spirit? Her father will be delighted but not his wife. Nah! Erase, erase, erase!!!
How about 13 gifts that will represent 13 years of my absence. Aha! That will do. But how? I'm not good at finding gifts. I should seek for professional help from the salesladies at the gift shop. Hmm...I better browse eBay or Amazon for possible gifts. Or just play my imagination to choose the gift each year with messages on each item. Seriously, these are the gifts that I will compile for my goddaughter Tin-Tin.
Chipmunks - Happy Birthday to You!!! c/o 1uzbek
I was humming the 12 Days of Christmas while randomly thinking of what set of 13 items will I give to my goddaughter Tin-Tin.
Since she was born on 1997, I should go back in time to know the characteristics of that year. I was still on the radio then and was present when the christening happened. Godparents, including me gave a monetary gift to her parents.
An overview of 1997:
1997 (MCMXCVII) was a common year that started on a Wednesday. In the Gregorian calendar, it was the 1997th year of the Common Era, or of Anno Domini; the 997th year of the 2nd millennium; the 97th year of the 20th century; and the 8th of the 1990s.
It is also the Year of the Ox in Chinese calendar.
So here's my 13 Gift Ideas for Christine:
- Year of the Ox symbol- I'm sure the local Chinese gift shops will still have some leftovers of 1997. Will it be expensive, I'm not sure. I'll just haggle with the storekeeper or the owner himself/herself.
- Photo frame or album - either of the two. I'm sure, her mom have old pictures of hers during her childhood. A spare photo frame will do or a photo album of her own.
- Coloring Book - maybe it's outdated by I'm sure she'll treasure what her godfather (travel_man1971) will give to her. She must show me how to color properly. I've heard she's a sophomore high school stude at the trade school-Camarines Sur Polytechnic Colleges-former Bicol College of Arts & Trades (my Alma mater) in Naga City. I better teach her how to draw, too, if it's not too late)
- Coin Purse - An embroidered or leather-made coin purse will be a nice gift as I reminisce her four years in this world.
- Mini-shoulder bag - This will serve as the container of those previous gifts I've written.
- Handkerchief or Personalized Towel- with embroidered name of Christine on it.
- Perfume Kit - I'm sure she'll love the scents of everyday cologne for young ladies, like her.
- Make-up Kit- My niece used to call it Kikay kit or those coloring pencils and lipsticks that are for teenager's skin. I'll choose the bio-degradable type. I will be questioned by the saleslady, I'm sure.
- Pocketbooks - My goddaughter just added my profile on Facebook but never did see me personally. A book will inspire her to read written words by popular female authors.
- USB drive - Most teenagers collect MP3 songs and keep it in their portable USB drive. It will also help her store her assignments in school.
- DVD Movie collection - I'm sure, she'll love stories about teenage life, fairy tales, among others.
- Stuff toys - to make her company during bedtime. Teddy bears are the most favored. Maybe Hello, Kitty stuff. Eine-Minnie-my-nie-moo. Okay whichever...either of the two will do.
- A dress or shoes - Will it suit her? Red is the favored color for birthdays. Or pastel color perhaps for safe choices?
Will she accept my gifts? It's for you to know, once I published all the pictures on her birthday celebration.
Holiday Gift Ideas c/o sixminutestyle
More by this Author
Flying gigantic hot air balloons as pre-summer attraction in the windy Clark field (former American military base) of Pampanga, Philippines is as sight to behold! It happens every February.
Refresh yourself as to why Filipinos celebrate Christmas in a span of 100 days. Starting September every year, people in all walks of life are starting to save for the biggest celebration every December 25th, the...
What an amazing feat for this woman that I had known for just a short while. Doing a One-Woman Exhibit and Fashion Show this 2012 will be a grand task for her, but she's taking it by stride. All recycled materials...