5 Tips for Having a Healthier Super Bowl Party
Healthy Superbowl Recipes!
Stock up on Superbowl Snacks
The big game is around the corner and everyone is probably thinking about what they're going to do to celebrate it. Many of us are going to be gathering together in the living rooms of whoever has a big screen television and watching the game while snacking on traditional Super Bowl foods. But for those of us who have just gotten back in the swing of being healthy after the holidays ruined it for us, the idea of eating Super Bowl food isn't too appealing.
Here are five things that you can do to make Super Bowl snacking a little bit healthier:
1. Drink water. The number one thing that people are drinking on Super Bowl Sunday is beer. Another drink that's going to be going around is soda pop. These two drinks can kill your diet quicker than anything. Avoid them or go for them in moderation and then drink water the rest of the day. Drinking that water will also help fill your belly and make you snack less.
2. Use oil and vinegar on sub sandwiches instead of mayonnaise and other dressings. Those six-foot-long party subs don't have to be unhealthy but most of us make choices that make them bad for us. Think smart when placing your order so you don't automatically add calories to a food that doesn't have to be bad.
3. Spend a lot of time at the veggie tray. You can greatly increase the healthiness of your Super Bowl Sunday by making sure that your snacking is done on the veggies like carrots and celery. Avoid the potato chips at all costs and make sure to use a low-fat dressing for dips.
4. Buy healthy chips. You're going to have chips because it's Super Bowl. If you think that you're going to be tempted to eat them, you should make sure that they aren't so bad for you. Get the ones that are baked. Or get chip alternatives like Pita Chips. Better yet, make your own chips using fresh tortillas and organic oils and seasonings.
5. Think vegetarian. Much of what we eat during the Super Bowl is filled with red meat. Hamburgers, hot dogs, ground beef nachos and chili are all fattening in part because of the red meat. Consider going vegetarian with alternative meat-products and veggie chili. If that's too much for you to handle, think about substituting lean chicken for the red meat.
The main thing that you need to do when planning for Super Bowl is to keep your normal healthy dietary considerations in mind. Many people are just so in the habit of eating unhealthy during Super Bowl weekends that they eat things they normally wouldn't. Applying basic diet rules to eating during this day should make it possible to stay healthy.
Here are some places where you can find Super Bowl recipes that are designed to be particularly healthy:
More Info on Healthy Eating
- Are Condiments Healthy For You? Two Sides Of The St...
We tend to use condiments really liberally on most of our food. We shake salt on to our plates before we've even tasted the food to see if it
- Tips for Understanding Nutrition Labels
We are all very familiar with the nutrition label that comes on our foods. However, do you really know how to read it? The nutrition label is designed to provide us with a quick and easy way to make smart decisions about choosing healthy foods. The..
- 10 Great Cookbooks for a Healthy Diet
Ask the average person if he or she wants to eat a healthier diet and the answer that you are most likely going to get is yes. We all know that we should be eating healthier. We would feel better if we were...
- How to get Kids to Eat Healthy
We're all increasingly aware of the importance of getting our kids to eat healthy. Kids who eat healthy do better in school, are more awake and alert and are more likely to proceed along normal developmental paths. Equally as important, kids who...
- 17 Tips for How to Get a Picky Toddler Eat Healthy F...
One of the most common frustrating experiences that parents of toddlers deal with is trying to get their child to eat healthy foods. At this age, kids are starting to learn to define their wants and likes. This often means that they will refuse to...
More by this Author
There are some cities that people tend to flock to every year at New Year’s Eve. That’s because these cities have the best New Year’s eve parties or the best reputation for being a great place to ring...
A Christmas tree just doesn’t seem complete until it has Christmas lights on it. But how do you go about putting the lights on the tree so that they look just right? The trick is to choose your lights wisely,...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.