Ohio American Made Products - Gifts For Special Occasions
Welcome to Ohio for American Made Products
Bountiful Ohio Includes Agriculture, Handcrafting, and American Manufacturing
Ohio was an agricultural state long before other industries took hold and flourished. The capital of Columbus is still popularly called "Cow Town" by a lot of people, proving that the image of farm made and home made is securely embedded in the town image.
The Greater Columbus Area and Franklin County together house over a million residents and hundreds of industries and small-to-large businesses in a wide range of sectors.
Despite commercial and industrial success and bolstered by the famous Big Ten Ohio State University Buckeye Football and Basketball, along with the successful Lady Buckeyes in many sports, Ohio is still known as "home grown." Indeed, we have a huge fresh corn crop each year that we sell locally in stores, ship out of state, and turn into animal feed and ethanol as well.
Roadside corn stands go up all over Ohio in August, including right in the city on the west side and just past the city limits on the southeast side and many other locations.
The North Market, Hundreds of Years Old
The Columbus North Market sells home grown corn and other Ohio grown and made items under roof and in the parking lot of a large building on Front Street in Columbus, Ohio. The management offers a North Market website where many items can be purchased.
This historic market formerly circled at least four square blocks of downtown Columbus property from Fourth Street just south of the Capitol Building, eastward to the Columbus Fish Market and southward for four blocks.
From 1814 until the 1970s, every Saturday morning farmers brought their goods to sell from all around the state. Some vendor stalls remained on the street after 1966, when the market building was constructed, but they eventually moved inside. The current market is open seven days a week, has a vendor offering hearty homemade sandwiches, operates many cafes, and provides free outdoor movies during the summer in the lot.
The Egg Lady of the market moved into the new building and continued to market her eggs and fresh produce for over 60 years altogether and she was famous.
In addition to Ohio Crop Number One - corn, Ohio grows these additional items, some of which can be ordered online these days. These are only a few examples of dozens:
- Gypsy Bees - Kevin Roberts: Honey, beeswax candles, jams, jellies, Amish crafts. (740)484-9001
- The Orchard of Bill and Vicky Thomas: Berries of several types, apples, peaches, plums, cider. (740) 674-6814.
- Toby Run - Jim Rockwell: Mushrooms- oyster, shiitake, lion's mane, rhubarb. (419) 886-4570
- Wayward Seed Farm of Adam Welly & Jamie Moore: Heirloom tomatoes, sorrell, rat tail radish, swiss chard, dragon carrot, chiaggia beets, tetragonia. firstname.lastname@example.org
North Market At Front And Spruce
Major Ohio cities, their museums, and their historic sites provide museum sops in which locally produced and locally published materials and gifts can be purchased. WPAFB National Air Force Museum in the Dayton Aviation Heritage Area is one of the largest museums, with free admission.
Ohio - Means "Big River" in Local Native American Language
Home of R &D that led to the US Space Shuttle and to experimental and restoration aircraft & aerospace projects. National Museum of the Air Fo
Ohio Buckeyes Are Used In a Number of Souvenirs
Ohio Gift Baskets
Several businesses around Ohio provide locally produced merchandise in attractive Gift Baskets for Fathers Day, Mothers Day, Birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas or for any holiday that you wish to design a basket.
Flavor of Ohio is located in North Olmstead in the northeastern portion of the state and will ship around the country and to APOs overseas. They also provide a newsletter.
Their wares include locally produced wines, jams and jellies, other foods, Ohio books and DVDs, local famous Anthony-Thomas chocolates, and other merchandise.
Other Ohio Basketry Merchants:
- American Traditions Basket Co.
- Hutchison's Hilltop Haven - South Central Ohio.
- Longaberger Company - Dresden, Near Newark. They have brought jobs back from China!
- Royce Craft Baskets - Coshocton.
- Shawnee Springs Winery - Coshocton. Wine & Baskets, locally made ornamental ironwork, wreaths, and ceramics.
Wineries and Vineyards ship gift baskets throughout the US and many times, overseas.
Zanesville Pottery & China - My father and his family for several generations worked here in addition to running their farms - hundreds of high quality items are available for home, family and pets.
Ohio Food Products
Foods and Fibers
- Soy Beans, Wheat, Winter Rye, Buckwheat
- Apples - Johnny Appleseed planted Ohio long ago.
- Tomatoes, Corn, Fruits for jams and jellies
- Foraging Crops - Alfalfa for livestock
- Ground Covers
Numerous growers are raising crops organically in Ohio and most supermarkets and neighborhood grocers provide Organic Produce Departments. See also Best U-Pick and Pre-Picked Produce and Gifts in Ohio.
American Bison and Baby Beefalo
Just For Fun - The Llama Song
Ohio Farm Animals
As for livestock and animal-based fibers, Ohio produces:
- Beef and Milk Cattle
- Buffalo/Bison and Beefalo
- Flightpath Farms -- Ohio Beefalo Ranchers
- Chickens and Waterfowl
- Ohio Alpaca Farms - A fiber arts community
Many local ranchers and farmers are raising free range livestock.
Ohio is Home to Smucker's Jams and Jellies
Smuckers, Orrville OH - Between Wooster and Canton
Orrville OH: Smuckers & Others
The Heini Cheese shop, restaurant, gift shop, and cafe creates a complex where a family can spend all day! Watch cheeses being made and sample everything in the shops.
Ohio Cheeses & Pies
- Broad Run Cheesehouse.
- Buckeye Grove Jersey Farm.
- Grandpa's Cheesebarn.
- Guggisberg Cheese Factory - Also country-style bologna, summer sausage, beef jerkey.
- Heini's Cheese Chalet - Holmes County. Very popular and the best for cheese samples! This is a huge building with cheeses, sausages, sauces, gifts, cafes, and many other things to see. I have been here and found many good items at reasonable prices - and unlimited free taste samples.
- Just Pies - Columbus, Ohio. These great people have two locations: North Columbus and Westerville, a growing northeastern suburb. They no longer mail or ship pies, but you can ship them yourself and they hold up well. You can find pineapple pie here when no one else makes it.
- Middlefield Cheese House - (Middlefield, Ohio). Cheese.
- Mary Yoder's Amish Kitchen - (Middlefield) Bakery, honey, books, handcrafted gifts.
- Smucker's/J.M. Smucker Co. - Orrville, Ohio - Jams, jellies, juicies and other products.
- YOUNG'S Jersey Dairy - West of Columbus, about an hour, near Antioch College. I enjoy their petting farm, mini-golf, hayrides, restaurant and cafe, special events, fresh baked goods in their shop and the cordial staff.
Young's Dairy Farm
Amish, Collectible and Specialty Products Made In Ohio
Ohio Art Company - 1950 Collectibles
Ohio Art Co. Toys
Beginning in 2016, this item began manufacturing for Spin Master company.
Other Ohio American Made Products
Frog Ranch Foods. Salsas, peppers & other pepper products.
Old Time Candy Company - Candy from Yesteryear. Ever want Skybars and can't find them? They are here. Not all the candy is made at this location now, but it is still a great distribution hub for candy you might have though went extinct.
Handcrafted Ohio Furniture & Gifts
Ohio is home to the largest Amish community in the world, offering hundreds of specialty handcrafted and home grown products.
Homestead Furniture - www,homesteadfurnitureonline. This company is becoming popular for the ease of its Internet sales transactions. 8233 OH-241, Mt Hope, OH 44660.
Sauder Woodworking Company. Ready-to-assemble Furniture. Wholesale only; check website for dealers.
Seco Furniture. Contemporary furniture. Wholesale only.
Tarik Yousef Fine Furniture. (Columbus OH). Custom-designed and custom-made furniture of all kinds: table/bedroom/bookcase/seating/other.
Workshops of David T. Smith. 40 artisans custom-craft furniture, pottery, chandeliers, kitchens.
Slinky - Distributed in Ohio
Parody of Slinky - It's Log
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
All of these inexpensive gifts are colorful, active, and fun. They help children gain skills to create jewlery, art works, and useful items. Some large gifts of this nature are even more fun!
American consumers have spent substantial amounts of money in the past on foreign goods. Occasionally, some citizens decide to protest foreign products and services that they feel send money overseas to weaken the...
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!