Belated Birthday Messages: Funny and Sincere Card Wishes
What to Write in a Belated Birthday Card
Late birthday cards require one of two responses, humor or sincerity. Humor can be used when you know that the person will take it well. Other times, you have to be serious and sincere in your expression of regret for being late with your birthday wish.
Thinking of what to write in a any greeting card is sometimes challenging, but when you messed up and forgot a birthday of someone important, the wording becomes more difficult. Read these examples of what to write in a belated birthday card and choose your favorite way to apologize to or amuse your birthday message recipient.
Funny Belated Birthday Card Messages
Being late with a birthday card usually means apologizing in a belated birthday card. Fortunately, with these funny examples, you can joke around with your mistake and avoid a boring apology. Let your lack of punctuality become the focus of your birthday wish. Own your mistake with humor.
- "There's no excuse for how late I am with your birthday card, but you know I can make one up anyway."
- "When there's money in the card, it's always better late than never."
- "Good thing you are getting more patient the older you get. Happy belated birthday!"
- "Birthday cards should have grace periods so you can be a little late just like paying a bill. Besides, most people aren’t born exactly on their due date."
- "I was late for a very important date, your birthday. Sorry."
- "Sorry about being late with your birthday, but at least now you don’t have to wait an entire year before getting birthday cards again."
- "I’m really sorry about giving your birthday card to you late. It’s a serious thing because we never know how much time we have, and you’re not getting any younger."
- "Time seems to speed up the older you get, so at your age, I figured you wouldn’t even notice the time that went between your birthday and getting your card."
- "You should ask yourself based on my history of card giving, where you really expecting me to give you your card on time? At least I’m consistent."
- "My forgetting to give you your birthday card on time is proof that you are growing up way too fast."
- "I guess you’re not the only one getting older. My memory must have failed me in my own old age."
- "I’m late giving you your card, because I was researching the best belated birthday card message to write to you. My research took longer than I expected, but this is the best one I found."
- "It took me so long to write in your birthday card that I now have the perfect thing to say… Sorry I’m late, and happy belated birthday!"
- "If your birthday policy does not allow you to receive late birthday cards and gifts, then I'll be happy to take it back."
- "I like to celebrate your birth-month instead of your birthday. It is still your birth-month isn't it?"
- "If I'm late wishing you a happy birthday, it must be that I think you are a little younger than you really are."
- "A late birthday card is a lot like a bill from the doctor. Both tell you that you are getting older and both are a big surprise."
- "It's apparent that you have been blessed with many things on your birthday. Unfortunately, a punctual birthday card from me, was not one of those things."
- "It's ironic that the words "Be Late Ed" are what make up the word belated."
- "Birthday cards are like a group of high school P.E. class students running on a track. There are always some stragglers."
- "I hope you had a great birthday. If you didn't, then you can try to have a great birthday next year. And I can try again to give you your card on time."
- "I wanted to give you your birthday card late so that you would have enough time to grieve the loss of your youth."
Sincere and Apologetic Belated Messages
Sometimes it is appropriate to be sincere in your late birthday wish. Taking responsibility can be the best way to prevent hurt feelings or reconcile the relationship. These are some examples of what to write when you have forgotten or are late giving a birthday card and/or a gift.
- "I don't know how I forgot to think of the most important person in my life's birthday."
- "I have nothing better to say than I'm truly sorry for forgetting your birthday. I messed up, and I'm trying to make it right."
- "My memory hasn't been the best lately. I'm sorry your birthday was at a difficult time for me."
- "No one deserves to be wished a happy birthday late. I am sorry, and I will do better next year."
- "I know this isn't the first time I have let you down, and it probably won't be the last time. I appreciate your willingness to accept me for my faults and flaws. Happy belated birthday! Sorry I was late with this message."
- "How in the world did I forget the birthday of my favorite person?"
How Big of a Deal is Being on Time?
Do you mind getting a birthday card or gift late?See results without voting
More Help Writing in Your Card
- Birthday Messages: What to Write in a Birthday Card
What should you write in the birthday card? Here are over 90 examples of birthday messages, wishes, and quotes organized by category, including funny, milestone, belated, family, quotes, etc.
- Apology Card Messages: What to Write in an I'm Sorry...
These are examples of what to write in a sorry card or apology letter. Apologizing can be a super difficult thing, but these might help you get an idea of what to say to own up to your mistakes.
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE7
These are more than 90 examples of things to write in a birthday card. Let these birthday messages, wishes, and quotes help you figure out what to write. Some are funny and others sincere.
Recovering from a surgery can be a lot more fun when you get a great get well cards from friends and family. Use these sincere and funny get well wishes for a friend or loved one undergoing surgery.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE16
Sympathy card messages can be difficult to write. These are many examples of sympathy messages for a loss. Use these to help you comfort and encourage a grieving person.
No comments yet.