Best Baby Shower Gifts Under Fifty Bucks
You want to get a great gift, but you can't afford most of what's on the registry. Let's face it: These are tough times, and not everyone can buy the Pack 'N Play or the Travel System. You can still come up smelling like a rose, and not spend all the cash. You never know-- you could end up getting the new mom-to-be's must-have item; she just doesn't know it yet.
Blankets and Swaddlers
- Aden and Anais Swaddle Wraps: Aden and Anais swaddle wraps are the most versatile baby blankets around. They are extra-large muslin wraps that allow Baby to be swaddled up to nearly twenty pounds! Not only are they great for swaddling, having very little stretch, but they are soft and slightly sheer, making them great face covers in cold weather and instant nursing blankets, as well. The slight sheerness allows Baby to see the world outside, and the cute patterns keep the world outside from seeing in.
- SwaddleMe Infant Swaddlers: These are specifically for swaddling and are great for people who don't have patience with wrapping and folding a blanket, as well as for little Houdini babies who get out of swaddled blankets. They come in multiple sizes, too.
Devices for Soothing Baby
- A Bouncy Seat is non-negotiable. Cheaper and smaller than a swing, and able to pull double duty in soothing and providing active fun, a bouncy seat is worth its weight in gold.
- Gumdrop Pacifiers are similar to the Soothie brand pacifiers that so many new moms favor, and that many hospitals provide, except that they have an opening for the baby's nose, and a way to clip them to the infant's clothing. And don't forget all the cute colors.
- A vibrating teether goes where the gel-filled ones cannot. Not only is it soothing, but it doesn't need refrigeration. Mom can just toss it in the diaper bag and go.
Feeding and Nursing
- Skip Hop Splash: This bottle drying rack has lots of space to keep all the bottle and pump parts in one place. Plus, it looks great!
- Medela BPA-Free Feeding Kit: This feeding kit isn't just BPA-free; it also fits all Medela and most other pumps. The bottles feature a great shape with no hard-to-clean angles at the top, and the new wider nipples are more similar to breastfeeding.
- Nursing Wrap (for moms who plan to breastfeed): A nursing wrap minimizes social anxieties for mothers who find themselves needing to breastfeed in a public place. They wrap around the neck and are generously cut to hide the baby underneath, while allowing a fold at the top so that the mother can peek in to check on the baby.
Apparel for Baby
- Baby Soy Kimono Bodysuits: For the early weeks of frequent diaper changes and umbilical cord care, kimono-styled onesies are cute and easy. They also open at the chest for skin time.
- Stride Rite's Robeez Soft-Soled Baby Shoes: For non-walkers, soft-soled shoes are best. They're even great for little walkers who are just getting their bearings.
- Trumpette Socks: They're just plain adorable. Oh, and they stay on the foot like no other socks. No more playing hunt and search for Baby's other sock.
- gDiapers: G's are a great option for mothers who might want to try cloth diapering. gDiapers feature a reusable cloth cover and either reusable cloth, or disposable wood-pulp-based inserts. Moms who use gDiapers can switch off between using complete cloth and using partially disposable diapers, as needed. Plus, they're dang cute!
- Diaper Pail: Especially for families living in multi-family housing, diaper pails are a must until pick-up day. There are a great variety. Some require cartridges. The most simple options, such as the Diaper Champ, just require a bag.
- Skip Hop Diaper Bag: This diaper bag is unisex, which is great if anyone ever expects the new dad to carry it. It also features clips that strap it directly onto the push bar or handles of nearly any stroller. With new magnetized pockets, and a shoulder pad, it's also convenient and comfortable.
- Moby Wrap: Baby wearing is all the rage, and with good reason-- You can get much-needed cuddle time while still working your abs, not to mention ditching the stroller. at $35-$40, the Moby is the most economical option out there. Essentially a long, folded, contoured piece of strong fabric, the Moby can be wrapped in a multitude of ways to accommodate the changing needs of a growing baby. It also comes with an instructional booklet.
- Skip Hop Tubby Bath Toys Organizer: This may look simple and even flimsy, but it's made of thick neoprene and flexible mesh, holds multiple times its weight in bath toys, and has 4 strong suction cups along the back of the top plastic strip. It helps keep the bathroom adult-friendly!
- Skip Hop Toolbox Diaper Caddy: You wouldn't believe the mess a few diapers, wipes, and skin care products can make on baby's dresser top. Now Mom can have everything in one place.
- Over the Door Organizer: Getting ready in the morning is a pain when you can't find Baby's things. For all those little accessories, from shoes to mittens to hats, an over-the-door organizer is a lifesaver.
- Closet Organizer: Baby's linens can get lost in the hall linen closet. It's nice to be able to have them in the nursery, but the dresser can only hold so much! A closet organizer can help bring sanity to any nursery.
- Words to a New Mother by Kotori
- How to Build a Diaper Cake Without Rolling Diapers by Kotori
- Breastfeeding :: Supporting the Mother (an article by a dad) by Dosters
- Tips for Breastfeeding Success by Kotori
- Pumping at Work: What You Should Know by Kotori
- Name Brand Vs. Generic Diapers: Do They Stack Up? by Kotori
- Environmentally Friendly Disposable Diapers by Kotori
More by this Author
A comprehensive review of Huggies, Pampers, and Luvs versus store brand diapers, such as Target, Walgreen's, Publix, Kroger, Jewel, Babies R Us, Aldi and Whole Foods.
A nursing pillow is a solid investment (well, OK, it's a bit squishy) in breastfeeding. Not only does proper support save you from back and neck pain during nursing, but it also promotes a good latch. You wouldn't...
So you've chosen to breastfeed. It's an extraordinary and life-altering choice. You will need as much support as you can get, and not just from your nursing bra! Luckily, there are a vast array of products designed...