Best Gifts for Girls Around the Age of 10
Trying to figure out what gifts to buy for 10 year old girls can be a colossal task. They're in that "in between" age, also called the tween years, that makes gift-giving a bit tricky. They've clearly outgrown the fascination with the classic go-to presents like Barbie dolls, Candyland and Playdough. But, unlike 12 year olds, they may be a tad bit disappointed to only receive clothes and nothing in the hands-on toy department.
I'm a mother of two girls myself, one is almost 10 and the other is 12. However, that minuscule two year age difference definitely translates into different interests and desires. My 12 year old would be completely happy receiving clothes and only clothes. Even better if it's a gift certificate so she can pick out her own attire (I've finally given up trying to decipher her ever-evolving sense of fashion!).
10 year old girls have yet to have that "little" girl completely stripped from their personalities. However, buying something they'll truly love entails bearing in mind their maturing interests.
Economical Gifts 10 Year Olds Will Love
- Mood rings are back! Remember the fun mood rings from the 70's? Well, they're back and girls love them. But, I must say some are a lot cooler than the ones back in my day. They come in a variety of shapes and designs now, you can even get mood necklaces. I know a lot of little girls who love the dolphin mood ring.
- Nail polish (unless prohibited by the parents, that is!). There are some new and interesting options in the world of nail polish these days. They have glow-in-the-dark, color changing, glitter, sun changing, neon, crackle and so on these days. If you don't know where to find them, go check out Justice for Girls. I'm seeing more and more of these alternative types of nail polish in our local drug stores, too.
- Bracelets are huge right now. Girls literally have them lined up halfway up to their elbows. It seems to have started with the ever-famous Silly Bandz. Now, girls are loving plain old bangles or the tried-and-true friendship bracelets. Girls can learn how to make the friendship bracelets themselves, or they can purchase them pre-made.
Top Preteen Band, 1 Direction (as of 12/13)
Moderately Priced Gift Ideas
- They say diamonds are a girl's best friend, right? Well, jewelry is an easy way to please a tween. One of their favorite gifts is name pendants for necklaces. They look like dog tags, but are ornate and fun. They're inexpensive and relatively easy to find, particularly if you're looking for one with a fairly common name. Many gift stores have these types of pendants.
- T-shirts... Peace signs are popular these days (what's with the 70's comeback,huh?), so getting a peace sign t-shirt is a simple route to pleasing a girl. You can try Target or Kohl's if you're on a budget, Justice if you're not.
- Most 10 year old girls I know love to smell good. You can purchase fragrant soaps, lotions or body mists at many drug stores. There are also a lot to choose from at places like The Body Shop in the mall, but they'll be more expensive.
- Jeggings... They love 'em. If you don't know what they are, you may be surprised to learn you've probably seen them but mistook them for jeans. They are basically leggings designed to look like denim jeans. They're very comfortable, inexpensive and trendy right now. We bought ours at Target.
- CD of the favorite, heartthrob band of the day... For now (as of 12/11/2013) that would be 1 Direction.
Spendy Gifts for Special Occasions
- Converse tennis shoes have been popular for a while now. But, have you seen the new Converse Knee High Chuck Norris boots? They are making their way around elementary and middle schools right now. Very cute, no doubt... but spendy. It's next to impossible to get them for less than $65, unless you score a deal on EBay. My daughter saved up money for hers and we ended up ordering them from Zappos for $65. Finding them in small, girls sizes is also a challenge. If you have a store called Journey's near you, they are available for $70. I know Nordstrom's sells them, but I hate to think what that would set you back. Just as an f.y.i., they zip up in the back so you don't have to lace these monstrosities.
- Hoodies... girls and boys love them. Aeropostale hoodies are very in these days, but they're not cheap. Sales do come around, so keep your eyes and ears open.
- Anything from Justice for Girls. If you haven't heard of it, you can check out their online store here: Justice for Girls.
- Mp3 players are great entertainment for tweens. I praise the invention every time we have long car trips. You don't have to go out and spend an arm and a leg on an IPod, for crying out loud. We bought Sansa Mp3 players for a lot less and have been totally satisfied.
More by this Author
Learn how to make a tie blanket with detailed instructions and videos. No sewing involved!
If you're trying to find the best minimizer bra for you, read on. I provide in-depth reviews of the best minimizer bras on the market today.
So you're starting to feel that tingly, itchy fever blister feeling... And you have some big occasion you're about to attend. It never fails, huh? Learn how to get rid of that fever blister FAST! Very simple,...