Best and Famous Irish Actors and Actresses
Best and Famous Irish Actors and Actresses
In this hub, I will feature the best and famous Irish actors and actresses living and dead who are best and famous in film as well as the theaters. Notable is Richard Harris who was a multi talented persona -- actor, singer, writer and film director. I remember him as the Albus Dumbledore in the movie "The Harry Potter" and the Emperor Marcus Aurelius in the movie "Gladiator". Another brilliant actor is one of my favorite of all time -- Daniel Day- Lewis. Others who shine in their own right are: Liam Nesson, Pierce Brosnan and Collin Farrell. Actually there are many talented Irish actors and actresses, and the list could go on and on.
Like Wales, Ireland is home to the best actors in the film industry. Notable is the dynasty (theatrical dynasty) of the CUSACK family-- Cyril, Catherine, Sorcha, Niam and Sinead.
On March 17 and every year thereof Irish people pay tribute to the most commonly recognised Saint in Ireland--- - St. Patrick. St Patrick's day is is celebrated with festivities all around the world and of course the biggest celebration is in Ireland. Ireland is a republic and is a country in northwestern Europe -- a member of the European Union. Their form of government is parliamentary democracy and is bordered to the northeast by Northern Ireland -- a part of the UK and is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean.-- particularly the IRISH sea to the east and the St Georges Channel to the southeast and the Celtics seas to the south. It was once a part of the UK but they gained their independence.
Best and Famous irish Actors and Actresses
I am joining the celebration of St. Patrick's Day by featuring the best and famous Irish actors and actresses and probably will drink Irish beers on day!
There are thousands of actors and actresses who have Irish blood but I have chosen to list here the best and the most famous Irish actors and actresses.
Daniel Day- Lewis
- Daniel Day-Lewis is an English actor with dual citizenship, British and Irish -- born to a mother who is a poet and a sister --- film documenter and is presently married to Rebecca Miller --- “ film director and they have two sons together and he once lived with Isabelle Adjani and likewise they had a son as well”. His sisters name is Tamasin-Day Lewis --- He is also known as the English version of “Robert de Niro”.
- He starred in several films as follows: -- "The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1988) -- My Left Foot: The Story of Christy Brown (1989)-- The Last of the Mohicans (1992)-- In The Name of the Father (1993)-- The Boxer (1997)-- Gangs of New York (2002) -- and The Ballad of Jack and Rose (2005) --. He also starred in My Left foot(1989) as Christy Brown and Daniel Plainview in the movie There will be Blood (2007). Both won him an Academy and BAFTA awards for Best Actors, Screen Actors Guild, as well as The Golden Globe awards. -- He also starred in Gangs of New York as Bull the “The Butcher” Cutting, again he earned an award in BAFTA and Screen Actors Guild Award " -
- Born --- April 29, 1957
- Richard John Harris was an Irish actor, singer, songwriter, producer in theater, director as well as a writer. He is versatile actor (stage and film). He is most famous for his portrayal of King Arthur in Camelot (1967), as Oliver in Oliver Cromwell in 1970 and the famous “Harry Potter” movie as Albus Dumbledore (2002) -- that was his last film -- Chambers of Secrets. He also played a British aristocrat and prisoner in “A Man Called Horse” in 1970, a Gunfighter in Clint Eastwood’s “Unforgiven” (1992) and the ever famous role of Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius in Gladiator (2000) “As a singer, Harris is probably best remembered for his recording of Jimmy Webb’s song -- Mac Arthur’s Park“.
- Born --- 1 October 1930
- Died – 25 October 2002
- Liam John Neeson is an Irish actor born in Northern Ireland but became a US citizen since 2009. He is popularly known as Oscar Schindler in the movie “Schindlers List“, Michael Collins in “Michael Collins“, Qui Gion Jinn in “Star Wars Episode I”, Alfred Kinsey in the movie “Kinsey”, Aslan in the movie: “Chronicles of Narnia” film series and the upcoming movie in 2010 “A-Team Movie”.
- He has also has also starred in several other films such as “The Dead Pool” “Rob Roy” Kingdom of Heaven”, “Batman Begins“, “Taken”, and “Darkman“.
- He has two sons with his wife Natasha Richardson who died last year, 2009.
- Born --- 7 June 1952
- Pierce Brendan Brosnan is an Irish actor as well as film producer who is both Irish and American by citizenship. He became popular in the series “Remington Steele”. He starred as the secret agent James Bond in “Goldeneye”, Tomorrow Never Dies “, “The World is Not Enough” and “Die Another Day”. He was also the voice in the video game “James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing” and “James Bond 007: Nightfire“. He also appeared in Mrs. Doubtfire and Dante’s Peak“. He is currently married to Ms Keenly Smith -- After his series of James Bond movies he starred in “Matador and Seraphim Falls” and the musicale movie “Mama Mia”
- At present he is active in environment works and charities.
- Born --- 16 May 1953
- Colin James Farrell is an Irish actor who won in Golden Globe award and appeared in many movies like : “S.W.A.T“, “In Bruges”, “Phone Booth”, Minority Report”, “Tigerland“, “Daredevil“, “Miami Vice“ and the well acclaimed film epic “Alexander” as Alexander the Great. His film debut is the “War Zone” movie. In 2000, he was cast in the lead role of Private Roland Bozz in “Tigerland“. His box office movies were: Phone Booth, S.W.A.T and the “The Recruit”.
- Best Actor -- Boston Society of Film Critics Award for his role as Private Roland Bozz in the movie “Tigerland”
- London Film Critics Award for British Newcomer of the Year
- Nominated for Various Films -- either as Best Supporting or Best Actor in various movies
- Born --- May 31, 1976
- Barry Fitzgerald was the older brother of another Irish actor Arthur Shields. He has the distinct record in the Academy for being nominated twice for the same role -- in 1944 -- starred as Father Fitzgibbon in -- “Going My Way“, --- that is his first nomination and hi second nomination is for Best Supporting actor as well and won it. He was born as William Joseph Shields in Dublin, Ireland and he first work as public servant but he also learned theater plays in the Abbey Theatre. He starred in in such plays as “Sean O’Casey’s” -- Juno and the Paycock --- a role he recreated for Alfred Hitchcock in his screen debut in 1930.
- Born -- 10 March 1888
- Died -– 14 January 1961
- Cillian Murphy is an Irish film actor both in stage and film. He is known for his various roles and his blue eyes like old Frank Sinatra. He began his career as musician and made his initial acting debut in the film “Disco Pigs” in 1996. “He went on to star in Irish and British film and stage productions throughout the late -- 1990s and early 2000s, first coming to international attention in 2003 as the hero in the post apocalyptic film 28 days later. “Murphy's best-known roles are as villains in two 2005 blockbusters movies like Scarecrow in Batman begins and the Jackson the ripper in “Red eye“.
- He was nominated as transgender outcast in the film Breakfast in plutp‘ in 2005
- He also played the role of a revolutionary in the film “The Wind that Shakes the Barley. In 2010 he is appearing in the movies “Inception” with Leonardo Di Caprio.
- Born -- May 25 1976
- Brenda Fricker is an Irish academy award winning actress. Before she started her career she is an assistant art editor and she is dreaming and wishing to become a reporter. She became an actress at the age of 19 in 1964 appearing in the film “Human Bondage”. She became famous in her role in the television series in UK for her role as Megan Roach in “Casualty” and she played this role from the series' first episode in September 1986 and still continuing until 1990 and then as guest only”.
- She won the 1989 Academy Award for the Best Supporting Actress as Christy Brown in the movies “My Left Foot”. She also appeared in the movies: Home Alone 2 : Lost in New York“, “So I Married an Axe Murderer” and “Inside I am Dancing”.
- Born --- February 17, 1945
- Stephen Rea is an Irish actor who was nominated for an Academy award for her portrayal as Fergus in the film “Crying Game”--- A story of a British soldier kidnapped by IRA terrorists. He was born in Belfast, Ireland.
- Born -- 31 October 1946
- Stuart Townsend is an Irish actor as well as a director, and is well known for his role in Queen of the Damned, Dorian Gray “The League of extraordinary gentlemen”.
- He was also trained in theater and enrolled in the same theater school as Colin Farrell. He played a part in the theater production “ Tear up the black Sail”, True Lines” -- his first stage act.
- Townsend's early movie roles were in Irish short films -- as "God suit" and "Summertime" and his initial part in a feature length film was Trojan Eddie“. In 1997 he landed a lead role in the UK film “Shooting Fish”
- He broke up with her seven years partner Charlize Theron last January 2010.
- Born -- 15 December 1972
Please feel free to add in the list of the Best and Famous Irish Actors and Actresses.
- Best and Famous Chinese Actresses in Hollywood
Lucy Liu Lucy Liu is an American actress but of Chinese descent. She became famous for her acting in Ally McBeal (19982002) as Ling Woo appeared in films such as the Charlies Angel as Alex...
- Best African-American Actresses in Hollywood
Here is my list for the best African-American actresses in Hollywood Best African-American actresses in Hollywood 1 -- HALLE BERRY Among all the African-American actresses here, I am biased to...
- What's wrong with Lady Gaga?
What's wrong with Lady Gaga? I am sure everybody knows this lady? Who could not listen to her song Poker Face. According to wikipedia: Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta (born March 28, 1986),...
- The best African-American actors in Hollywood
The Best African-American actors in Hollywood There are many African-American actors in Hollywood and they are all great in their own rights. In this article, I will pay a tribute to most of them like...
- The brilliant Actor in Daniel Day-Lewis
The Brilliant Actor in Daniel Day Lewis Daniel Day Lewis is an actor world class. He is a brilliant actor and one who mastered his craft. He is known for his numerous movie in which he either garnered an...
- Best Australian actors and actresses in Hollywood
Best Australian actors and actresses in Hollywood Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman Cate Blanchett and Russell Crowe are four performing actors and actresses which are currently residing in Australia....
- Sexy and Beautiful Danica Patrick - Car Race Driver
Sexy and Beautiful Danica Patrick - Car Race Driver In a world of sports where men take center stage, Danica Patrick is a jewel. She exemplifies beauty and sexiness while doing her...
- My favorite movie love quotes
My favorite movie love quotes When we are watching movies there are quotes which amuse us and make us fall in love with the movie and we cant forget them, it is either they serve as a form on...
- I Remember the Beautiful City of Love Called Paris
I remember the Beautiful City of Love Called Paris I love writing and sharing my travel experiences about the places I visited, but when it comes to my travel in Paris, I couldn't write...
- Best and famous Chinese actors in Hollywood
Best and famous Chinese actors in Hollywood This is my list of the best and famous Chinese actors in Hollywood and they became famous because of their skills in martial arts, acting, comedy...
More by this Author
Best and Famous Welsh Actors and Actresses Wales is the home of many famous people in different fields ; arts, music, entertainment, religious figures, architectures, craftsmen etc. They say that in Wales...
Every year during springtime, April 23 to be exact, the English people celebrate their national day in remembrance of their patron saint -- St. George. St.George is the patron saint of England and he is depicted as a...
The United Kingdom (UK) and its territories the Ireland (and the Northern Ireland), Wales, Scotland and England produced many known personalities in the world of entertainment, culture, arts, history and the body of...