Best and Unique Suggestions For Halloween and Alternative Celebrations: Food, Films, Fun, Golf, Safety, and Travel
How To Celebrate: Films
In October every year, I review a lot of horror films, not only because of the vampire craze of the 2010s, but also because of Halloween and Harvest Festivals -- Some film villains wield a pitchfork instead of a chainsaw these days!
Not everyone celebrates Halloween, but many that do not still enjoy a horror film now and again. In fact, watching creepy movies at a sleep over might be away to party at the end of October. Here's a list of films that are released in time for the party:
Hotel Transylvania - Although some critics did not enjoy this film, I think it is imaginative and hilarious. It is one that I will see several times. The sight of the Frankenstein Family arriving at a monster's guest lodge with their limbs in several different UPS packages is priceless. Many of the monster-filled scenes bring to mind the Muppets and the animals of the Madagascar series with much laughing. Then audience in the pre-release screening with me loved it and applauded several times. Amazingly, Adam Sandler's voice works for Dracula. Selena Gomez plays his daughter and has the opportunity to tell him off and sing. In a turnabout, prejudice is leveled against humans by the frightened monsters and offers a good message.
Frankenweenie - The original half-hour short has been out for a while, but Tim Burton's full length feature animation is full of the classic Universal film monsters - only they are neighborhood children and their pets! Funny is darker sorts of ways, this film will still have you laughing hard enough to fall out of your seat. Sadness plays a role as well, but cheer is restored.
Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter -- This one might scare the kids, but it's a fabulous film and the vampires are horrendous. Civil War scenes are done by long-time reenactors that brought the real story (of the battles) to the filmmakers. See my review.
Also try some classics like Favorite Tim Burton Movies.
Hell Country Store
Haunted Places and Some That Are Simply Odd
- Strange Miniature Golf Courses - Pirates, Dinosaurs,... These are the weirdest miniature golf courses you can imagine. They include monsters, a Rube Goldberg machine, a professional wrestler, 3-D glasses -- Even Heaven and Hell.
- On the Sidewalks of Hell..........Hell, Michigan -- I entered the crowded dimly-lit venue looking for lunch, greeted by the Matre'D....aromas of fine cuisine became overpowering and the heat of the place intense, but now I was caught up in an awards ceremony for Top Paperweight Artists of the Year...
- Pure Michigan Attractions - HELL-O-WEEN -- More fun near Ann Arbor.
- Safe and Quirky Halloween Fun in Central Ohio -- Safety is important during the last week in October, but these events are all fun and extremely safe. In fact, at the Columbus Zoo, the week of Halloween is Merry, not Scary.
- A Cracked Up Halloween - Legends and New Party Ideas -- Celebrating Halloween in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades in school was benign fun. We dressed up as our favorite cartoon characters and Universal Studios monsters and paraded through the neighborhood...
The Haunted Pumpkins Of October
- Halloween Jack O' Lanterns and Pumpkin Carving: A Bloodcurdling History -- I've been reading the various Hub submissions for October, especially those about the history of the Halloween event and related traditions followed throughout a range of international countries. Some traditions are pretty gory ...
Other Scarey and Fun Foods For the Season
- Scary Halloween Food You've Never Considered -- If you enjoy horror-themed parties, scaring your family at the dinner table, or simply being a bit odd when you want to be, you can easily enjoy these simple recipes. Invent your own 7-day menu for the week...
Alternatives to Halloween
- Halloween Activity Pages of a Different Color -- Here is a large number of October coloring and pages that you can use for Halloween or Harvest Festivals.
- Halloween Alternatives for Safety and Fun - Don't Walk the Streets For Treats -- Torturers and spoil sports are becoming more creative in devising and implementing ways of ruining holidays for everyone. They rarely seem to be caught and allotted consequences, though, which is not fair the children they harm. Trick or Treating...
- Traditions of Holiday History - Why the Green Face? -- Why is the face of a witch green on Halloween? Did it first occur during the Salem Witch Trials? What harsh physical actions actually cause skin to become green?
More Ghostly Stories For the Season
- A Halloween Holmes
"The Italian Secretary: A Further Adventure of Sherlock Holmes." This book is a Sherlock Holmes case file of a ghost story in a famous castle - and a rollicking good story for Halloween. By Caleb Carr of "The Alienist."
- The Best Dracula Ever - Halloween or Anytime
A vampire favorite.
- Horrors Of the Repossessed - Organs, not Cars
The horrors of artificial organ transplants and their repossession. Stars Jude Law. (Not a kids' film.)
More by this Author
Hell, Michigan to you, Dear Readers -- homeland and haunt of evil jackalopes near Garden City near Ann Arbor near Detroit near Toledo...
These are the weirdest miniature golf courses you can imagine. They include monsters, a Rube Goldberg machine, a professional wrestler, 3-D glasses -- Even Heaven and Hell.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE243
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...