Christmas Glogg Nog | The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
Well Christmas is nearly upon us again, and in the never ending search for something traditional but a bit unusual I have pulled one of the best Nog recipes from The Cupboard Drawer. You can do some interesting variations with this recipe as well, as Apple Cider and or Juice/Apple Slices work well, as do Cranberry Juice / Cranberries.
Believed to have originated in East Anglia Area of England, Egg Nog was a drink of the Aristocracy and originally have been referred to as a Flip but when more of the common folks started mixing it they served it in a small cup meant for Rum that was called a Nog. The Alcohol used was more typically Sherry or Madeira, but in the 18th Century the recipe made its way to America. Where both of the preferred alcoholic ingredients were heavily taxed and quite expensive; while Rum originating in the Caribbean was not. Rum was the primary ingredient in a low cost drink called Grog, and this then became Egg N Grog and eventually Egg Nog. Whichever of the two is true nobody knows for sure. But what is a certainty is that it has become a Christmas Tradition here in the US with or without alcohol.
This recipe does not include Alcohol content though a good 151 proof Rum could be used in main punch for an adult party. How much is up to you but I like to just spice it with about a ½ Cup and then let individuals add a shot if they prefer it with a bit more bite or warmth. I also like an inexpensive Brandy or for an interesting taste in the cranberry or in the apple variant Amaretto. If you are Lactose Intolerant then use a Vanilla Ice instead of Ice Cream. What ever you choose Do Enjoy!
¼ cup granulated Sugar
¼ tsp ground Cardamom
¼ tsp ground Cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
1 Qt Vanilla Ice cream softened)
6 cups Orange Juice
¼ cup Lemon Juice
1 Qt Gingerale
Ice Rings if Desired
Ground Nutmeg for a topper
Cinnamon Sticks for Stirrers
- In a large Mixing Bowl with an electric mixer at low speed, beat the eggs until blended. Spped up the mixer to medium speed; add the sugar and spices and beat until the sugar is dissolved.
- With the mixer back on low speed, beat in the softened Ice cream; add the juice and mix until blended. Cover and Chill.
- 3. To serve, pour the the mixture into a large punch bowl. Slowly pour in the Ginger Ale, and desired alcohol if desired, stirring with an up and down motion. Add the Ice Ring to the punch. Serve with a sprinkle of Nutmeg, and a Cinnamon stick stirrer. Let the Party Begin!
- Ice Ring – Arrange Orange Slices in the bottom of a small Ring Mold. Fill ith cold water and freeze until solid. (I recommend doing this at least a day in advance). An Interesting effect is to add swirls of food coloring when its about half frozen. Unmold on to a plate and slip it into the Nogg gently.
You Might Enjoy These As Well
- Christmas Chocolate Eggnog Recipe | The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
Here is an easy Chocolate flavored Eggnog recipe from The Cupboard Drawer. For the Chocoholics out there, this gives the eggnog a real smooth taste; and of course you can spice (or spike depends on...
- Church Window Cookies | The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
Church Windows Cookies are a pretty nifty way to celebrate the great wonders of stained glass found in houses of worship, and public buildings around the world. For me, there has always been a certain...
- Easy Holiday Shortbread Cookies | The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
An easy Holiday Shortbread Cookie Recipe, makes approx 24-36 cookies, a fun food project for kids age 6-adult...
- The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book, was first published in September 1988 by my Father Mel Ellis, from recipes that literally were in the cupboard drawer that had been collected over the years by my Mom,...
Like What You've Read?? Give it a Thumbs up!
Do You have something to say??? Join Hub Pages - It's Free!!
You might just make some money as well!!
More by this Author
Here are a few of the $100K jobs available.. Jobs are in US Government locations overseas., Potential 100K+ during periods of deployment,
Easy diet dinner basics that can be used for 36 different meals off just these ingredients. A great set of night time diet recipes for less than 500 calories per meal. Pretty simple weight loss idea, as for the food Do...
An adult only version of Twas the Night before Christmas, retitled "Twas the Night Before X-mas" Great adult party poem keeping in the seasons lighter side...Twas the night before x-mas; And all through the...