Easy last minute Christmas gifts
Christmas arrives quickly, but perhaps you haven’t even started your shopping. Maybe you’ve been busy, or you don’t even like shopping, but you need last minute Christmas gifts for everyone on your list. Here are some easy ideas for all the special people in your life.
Last minute Christmas gifts for anyone
Ever heard the advice to never arrive to a party empty-handed? Saying “thank you” to a host for his or her hospitality has never been easier. Fill a clear jar with candy, screw the lid on, and you’ll have a gift ready in no time. This can also work well for a Secret Santa exchange when you're not sure what to buy.
What you'll need:
- A Ball brand glass preserving jar, preferably the wide-mouth kind. The photo shows a one quart size. A wide-mouth type is easier to work with than the kind that tapers at the top.
- One metal band and lid. These will come with the jar if you purchase them in a multi-pack of jars.
- Candy of your choice. Choosing a variety instead of just one type not only makes it more enjoyable to eat but gives the gift more visual appeal.
When purchased in a pack of 12, the one quart size jars are about a dollar each. Another great feature of this last-minute Christmas gift is that the packaging - the jar - is reusable. The way the gift is presented requires no further wrapping.
For people who love to read, a year-long subscription to a favorite magazine is a gift that keeps on giving. For the last minute Christmas gift giver, it’s perfect because gas stations, grocery stores and drugstores offer a wide variety of magazines and are open beyond normal business hours. Pick up one copy of the latest issue, go online to place an order for the entire year’s subscription and you’ll receive a confirmation receipt of your gift. Make a photocopy of this for your records and give the original to your recipient so he or she will know when the first issue will arrive. It’s a gift that keeps on giving.
Magazine suggestions for last minute Christmas gifts
If your friend likes...
Better Homes & Gardens
The stock market
Wall Street Journal
Comparing products' value
Marie Claire or Allure
Last minute Christmas gifts for families
If you’re visiting a family and you need just one gift for all the members of the household, look no further than a last minute Christmas gift for movie lovers. If you have glass jars (as shown above), you can make one of these into a movie-themed gift. Otherwise, simply buy the supplies for a movie experience.
What You'll Need:
- A gift card to a movie theatre or video rental store inside.
- Add a bag of popcorn or a small package of movie theatre candy
- Candies you may want to try include Junior Mints, Reese Cups, Goobers, Dots, Hot Tamales or Twizzlers
- If you're using a Ball Preserving Jar for your movie-themed last minute Christmas gift, you can use an individual-sized candy bag if a family-sized package won't fit.
- If you purchase a movie gift card, be sure to attach a receipt in case your gift recipient has a problem using the gift card.
Last minute Christmas gifts for gardeners
Do you know someone who loves to garden? Three essential components of gardening, according to author and gardener Doug Oster, are tomatoes, garlic and basil. If you need a last minute Christmas gift for a gardener, visit a home improvement store in your area and find out if they have any of these seeds available. Purchase a pack of each, preferably those labeled “non-GMO” or “heirloom”. This means that the seeds can be saved and re-used for the next garden season, long after the harvest has been enjoyed the first year. You'll also need a glass preserving jar, available at any big-box store or at a grocery store. You may also want to purchase gardening gloves.
- Place the packets of seeds in a clear preserving jar, placing the band and lid on the top.
- Is there room left in the jar for a pair of gardening gloves?
- If so, consider buying a pair. If not, your gardener friend already has new seeds for the upcoming gardening season, and a watering can - the clear jar. If your friend knows how to preserve food, the jar can be used to preserve part of the harvest.
Last minute Christmas gifts for children
For the children on your list, a bookstore gift card is a great last minute Christmas gift. Bookstores usually don’t sell just books – there's typically an area for educational toys - so even if a child isn't reading, he or she will enjoy the trip. A bookstore gift card is also a great way to encourage a love of reading in a child that will set a foundation for future success.
Which of these last-minute Christmas ideas will you try?See results without voting
© 2013 erinshelby
More by this Author
Has the outsourcing of clothing work become as widespread as it seems? Is it a problem? Why should you buy American clothing and where can you get it? Take a look at these issues and be informed.
Is it getting a little pricey to pay for Trick-or-Treat candy every year? Are you expecting a huge crowd to show up at your door on Halloween? Try these tips for saving money on Halloween candy.
If you’re thinking about starting your own business, selling cosmetics is a convenient option. Mary Kay and Avon are the two most popular choices, but which is better? Should I sell Avon or Mary Kay?