End of the World Party Ideas
Why have an end of the world party?
The Mayans predicted it, Nostra Damos wrote about it and even REM sang about – yes, the end of the world is about to happen, and apparently there’s not a thing that we can do about it.
So what are you going to do when the Zombie Apocalypse begins, or the asteroid nears Earth? When you hear that the Super Volcano is about to explode are you going to curl up in a ball and begin praying, or are you going to party like it’s 1999?
If you’re like me and understand the inevitability of death and the fact that whether or not the world ends today, a year from today or in a billion years I’m still going to die sometime in the future, then why not go out and celebrate in style – if there is an afterlife, the talk will be all about the Armageddon Bash that you threw!
This articles aims to give you a few ideas on how to throw the biggest end of day’s party the world will ever see.
- How to Make Cards on Microsoft Word
This article describes the general techniques to make cards on Microsoft Word.
Who should you invite to your end of the world party?
Well you could invite President Obama but it’s unlikely he’ll attend as he’ll either be holed up in a bunker somewhere or on Spaceship 1 heading for the secret base on the moon or mars. You could invite your favorite rock band but then you’re going to have to put up with millions of ‘guests’ gatecrashing your party.
So invite people that you generally like; consider people who are close to you, who have always be there for you and who will always be there for you even during the ultimate final day. Forget about those friends who have flittered in and out of your life only when they needed something, and don’t invite the side of the family who has always looked down on you.
You want the party to be fun and exciting, so make sure the invitees are ready for the party of their life! You can even make your own invitations using Microsoft Word – download some suitable fonts, perhaps dress up in a zombie costume for a picture and voila!
How to Decorate for the End of the World Party
Planning the End of the World party decorations can be extremely fun. With all the different ways the world could end you can let your mind run wild. Here are some ideas on how to decorate:
- Cemetery – if you believe in the Zombie Apocalypse then you simply have to decorate like a cemetery. The cool thing about the cemetery is that you can drag out some of your old Halloween decorations and use them. With old tombstones, skulls, heads on spies and other ghastly decorations you can certainly make your party look amazing.
- Mayan theme – well a lot of the predictions for December 21, 2012 are based on the Mayan Calender. So why not have a Mayan theme for your ‘Apocalypto’ party. There are plenty of Mayan decorations such as symbolic calendars, torches etc. that can be added to a general Jungle theme. If you are adventurous you could even try to pain a Mayan pyramid on one of your walls.
- Asteroid theme – this is perhaps for the more adventurous out there. The idea of an asteroid theme is to make it look like the part has been hit by a huge asteroid. This means you’re going to have to decorate with several rock type decorations; if you are artistic you can paint your own backdrop featuring collapsed buildings on fire, craters and any effect that looks like you just might be on the moon! You could even build a paper mache asteroid and make it look like it is coming through the ceiling.
- Alien theme – some believe that the world will be over-run by aliens; therefore an alien theme is perfect for a party. Decorate your home as if the invasion is over and create an atmosphere as if you’ve been imprisoned in an alien ship. Adorn your party with futuristic designs and symbols. Hang alien costumes around and create sinister looking devices that could also double as drink dispensers!
Food and drinks for your End of the World Party
Well if you’re going to die you may as well die full. It’s a great time to simply forget about your diet and pig out on some amazing food. Here are some food ideas for your party:
- Cemetery – you can have a lot of fun creating Zombie related recipes. A bucket of blood is a fun drink to create and required water, food coloring, milk and corn syrup. While many people may not like them Liver, Kidneys, Brains are all edible and can actually be quite tasty if prepared correctly. Here is a great recipe for Bread Zombies. Of course the good old Zombie is a great alcoholic beverage to serve.
- Mayan Theme – this is the easiest theme to cater for. If you love Mexican food then you simply have to make enchiladas, burridos, nachos, salsa and guacamole. Don’t forget the rice, beans and tacos too! Of course you will want to ensure there’s a handy supply Tequila and Dos Equis. If you’re creating a family oriented party then I’d suggest creating some handy Aqua Fresca – this is simply a blend of fresh fruit, water, lime juice and/or lemon juice.
- Asteroid Theme – the good thing about asteroids is that there are already quite a few recipes that fit the theme perfectly. You can make rock lobster, rock cakes and serve those little cheese balls that just happen to look like asteroids.
- Alien Theme – you can really have fun with this one. Simply watch Star Trek for a few days and you’ll see plenty to inspire you. Brightly colored fruit juices, spaghetti cooked with ‘color’ to make it look like worms, pop-corn with added food coloring, colored boiled eggs. Generally you can create any ‘funky’ looking normal food and add food coloring to make it look out of this world.
Costumes for your End of the World Party
Well if you’re going to die you may as well die looking great. It’s a great time to simply forget about your inhibitions and come out looking amazing. Here are some costume ideas:
- Cemetery – you have quite a few options for the cemetery themed party. Of course the obvious is a zombie costume, or zombie hunter costume but you could also have fun with vampires, werewolves, Death or any other standard ‘horror’ Halloween costume.
- Mayan Theme – there are plenty of Mayan costumes to choose from ranging from an ‘I survived the Mayan Calendar’ hat to authentic Mayan hats and jewelry! Heck, who knows – if you dress as a Mayan you might actually end up surviving the end of the world.
- Asteroid Theme – this is about the hardest to dress for, but be imaginative. You could dress like an asteroid, or any of the other rock based ideas presented above. Perhaps an Indiana Jones type costume would work as you could pretend you are running from the asteroid?
- Alien Theme – you have so many costumes to choose from here with the likes of Star Wars, Star Trek, Transformers, Independence Day, Men in Black etc. What would be fun was to try and get everyone to dress from the same show – for example you could all dress as your favorite character from Star Trek – just don’t wear a red shirt as you’re going to be the first to go!
Music for an End of the World Party
You can stick to your theme and have music that relates to it:
- Cemetery theme – the obvious band to have playing at the Cemetery themed party is the Zombies. Of course there’s plenty of death metal to play; some Reggae music also could be perfect for this party.
- Mayan theme – any Mexican music is perfect for your Mayan themed party; other ideas include monks chanting (giving a temple feel) or the them tune to Apocalypto.
- Asteroid theme – the soundtrack to Armageddon seems perfect for an asteroid based party. Of course the Atari sounds to the original arcade game would be pretty cool too!
- Alien theme – well there is so much science fiction oriented music out there that you are spoilt for choice. You could simply play all the theme music from the particular show you are dressing up as.
Of course you could simply play every end of the world related song you know. Here are some examples:
- REM – It’s the end of the world as we know it.
- Europe – The Final Count Down
- Skeeter Davies – The End of the World
- Led Zeppelin – Stairway to Heaven
- Boyz II Men – End of the Road.
For a full list of songs relating to the End of the World click here.
We all know that December 21, 2012 is simply another day and not really the end of the world but we can still have fun just in case. If you’re not the partying type you could spend the time with family, build your own Zen Garden or simply read a book.
If it is our time to leave this amazing planet then so be it, but in the words of Grouch Marx
“I intend to live forever, or die trying”.
More by this Author
Planning a party is difficult at the best of times. Planning a themed party for kids is even more difficult. How do you keep the children busy? How do you make scrumptious food that links to the theme? What about...
With the Christmas season fast approaching, and the economy still not booming, many people are trying to save money this holiday season. Luckily, there are many decent gifts for men, women and children under $15....
In general plumbing terms, a plumbing fixture is a device that is connected to a plumbing system and interacts with liquid(or gas)