Fall Autumn Greeting Cards: Homemade Card Ideas to Make
Fall is not the popular greeting card making season the way winter is with both Christmas and Valentine's Day, but it still holds many possibilities. In addition to Halloween and Thanksgiving, you can always make a fall themed card for a birthday, baby shower, wedding, or anniversary. Consider fall colors as well as themes such as apples, leaves, and pumpkins. Happy crafting!
This article covers the following ideas for fall autumn cards.
So Many Possibilities!
Tree With Fall Leaves
Fall Color Theme
Purchase your own leaf stamps like mine!
How to Make Homemade Greeting Cards : Materials & Supplies
What supplies are helpful for making fall greeting cards?
- Leaf stamps. There are a variety of sizes and leaf types available. Look for fall colored inks and other stamping materials (i.e. embossing powder) and/or consider fall colored paper for stamping your images.
- Leaf paper punches. There isn't quite as much variety for leaf punches as for stamps, but you will still be able to find a few different varieties and sizes. Use several leaves on their own or punch a whole set for a tree or a wreath.
- Fall colored cardstock and scrapbook paper. Typically I pull fall colors from multicolor packs of card stock and scrapbook paper books that cover a wide range of colors and/or themes. Look for scrapbook paper sets with versatile patterns that you can use throughout the year.
- Fall colored ribbon. Again, usually I stick with ribbons that I can use for more than a single holiday or season. Solid colors and classic patterns, such as stripes and dots, will work for many different occasions.
- Stamp and punch shapes ahead of time so the assembly process goes more quickly. If I'll be using stamped and/or punched shapes for a group of greeting cards, I like to get them ready first. When you want to use them for your cards, they'll be dry, cut, and ready to go.
- Don't forget about other fall themed items for stamps and punches such as acorns, apples, and pumpkins. I kind of have a leaf obsession, which is why I own leaf stamps and punches, but you don't need to feel limited to these themes. You'll find lots of occasions to use other fall stamps and punches such as apples, acorns, and pumpkins.
I love to use leaves for every season so of course I had to start here. Fall is a wonderful season to create leaf themed cards as you can naturally incorporate so many different colors. Stamps, punches, and stickers are perfect for smaller leaves. If you'd like to use a larger leaf shape, look for a pattern or create your own template.
Fall Leaves Handmade Card Tutorial
Acorns on the ground always bring a smile to my face because they are one of the first visible signs of fall. Bring that sign to others with an acorn card. You can go for brown acorns that look realistic or you can take some liberties and use other fall colors. Are you making place cards? Consider attaching them to real or felted acorns.
From giving apples as teacher gifts at the beginning of the school year to apple picking to baking apple pies for Thanksgiving, apples are perfect for fall cards throughout the entire season. Make a card in the shape of an apple or sprinkle your card with smaller apples, as the artist did with the card on the right.
Pumpkins are a classic choice for Halloween cards, but they can be a cheerful decoration for all-purpose cards, too. Consider pumpkins in different sizes and shades of orange. Do you prefer Jack-O-Lanterns? Work with some of those. There are also some great tutorials out there for 3-D pumpkins that will fold down neatly in an envelope.
While turkey has the obvious connection with Thanksgiving, people also associate it with giving thanks and you can use it for a wide variety of cards with this message. If you can't find a turkey card idea that you like, search for turkey crafts. There are lots of creative turkey ideas out there for kids that can be applied to cards.
Thanksgiving Turkey Card
Consider multiple types of corn for cards, such as varieties with different colors. Think about whether you want to depict the husks or not. There are numerous corny messages that pair perfectly with corn. They may not be specifically related to fall but can still be cute for the season. Don't forget about candy corn! There are lots of great candy corn card ideas out there.
Tree With Fall Leaves
Take the fall leaf theme one step further and create entire trees with beautiful fall leaves. There are so many possibilities here for different colors and different types of trees.
Fall Color Theme
Remember the card in the header photo? One of my favorite greeting card themes is a color scheme that fits the current season. Make a thank you, birthday, or baby card any time in September, October, or November with vivid reds, oranges, yellows, and browns. People will be touched by this personalization.
A fall color scheme is perfect for any of the following cards.
Theme the colors for the current season.
Depending on your location, sunflowers can bloom through September or even later. Fall is the time to harvest their seeds for toasting, trail mixes, and more, which may be why people often choose to use sunflowers in their fall greeting cards.
Join the latest wreath craze and put a few of them on your greeting cards. Create a sparse wreath like the one on the right or put together a vivid, leafy wreath with lots of different colors.
Do you enjoy making lots of greeting cards? Consider selling a few of them.
- How to Sell Handmade Cards
This article is about how to sell handmade greeting cards. It includes information about getting started, important considerations to make, and taking the next steps.
- MAKE MONEY WRITING GREETING CARDS FROM HOME: Ideas, Markets & Submission Guidelines
Have fun writing your own greeting cards and make money too! Find out what companies are hiring greeting card writers. Ideas, markets and guidelines for writing your own greeting cards.
More greeting card resources from the author.
- Homemade Handmade Greeting Card Making Ideas with Balloons: Birthday Cards, Pop Up Designs, and More
Handmade greeting cards featuring balloons are perfect for birthday cards, pop-up cards, and much more. Get the inspiration and tutorials you need to make your own homemade balloon greeting cards.
- Homemade Hot Air Balloon Greeting Cards Ideas: Birthday, Pop Up, and More
This article is about hot air balloon greeting cards. It includes ideas for birthday, romance, graduation, and thank you cards as well as pop up tutorials and other inspiration.
- Button Greeting Cards: Ideas for Handmade Homemade Card Making
This article has over ten different button greeting card ideas. These are all free ideas for handmade home card making. There are lots of photos and resources.
More by this Author
This article contains over ten different ideas for homemade Mother's Day greeting cards to make. It includes lots of photos and resources. Many of these ideas kids can make.
This article is about button greeting cards. It contains 14 new ideas for handmade homemade card making. Make sure to check out Part 1, too!
This article is a collection of sample interview questions and answers for special education teachers. It also contains a number of tips and considerations for the interview.