Father´s Day In Germany
Vatertag / Father´s Day
Tomorrow, the 14th of May is Father´s Day here in Germany. I forgot about it until I saw the telly, telling me what holiday we will be having. Yes, Father´s Day is a public holiday in Germany. No work, no school and no shops open. Well, the restaurants are and some amusement centers.
After listening to the telly, I thought, why not write Father´s Day hub. I have already written about Mother´s Day, so why not write about how we celebrate this holiday in Germany. Fathers are also important in our lives. I know it´s not of the same date we celebrate this all over the world and I know most of the other countries don´t have this day as an official public holiday like we have.
Food For Father´s Day Party or PicnicClick thumbnail to view full-size
Facts About Vatertag / Father´s Day
- Germans Father´s Day is celebrated on Ascension Day which is called Christi Himmelfahrt in German language. The day when Jesus ascended to heaven to meet God, the Heavenly Father, after His crucifixion.
- It started in the Middle Ages when the catholic religious people honoured God, the Almighty Father by having a procession in town on the Ascension day, which is the 40th day after Easter.
- It is celebrated on Thursday, a few days after the Mother´s Day which is the second Sunday of the month of May.
- It is an official public holiday in Germany where almost everything is closed like the shops, offices and schools.
- Nowadays, Father´s Day is not only celebrated for the fathers but also for all men, single, father or not.
- Starting from the 17th century, the catholic Ascension Day celebration becomes a family bonding day to honour the bonds of fathers to his children.
- Nowadays, Vatertag or Father´s Day is strongly commercialized and it became a day to get drunk. A booze day for some men. A lot of beers are consumed on this day of the year.
- A day when the drivers are strictly controlled and a day when plenty of accidents occur in the streets.
Things The Germans Do On Father´s Day
- It is a family bonding day of some of the Germans. Those who have small children enjoy the day by celebrating it in a park where children can play. Some are having great time by having a grill or barbecue party in their garden.
- Fathers with adult children might have a get away party or a bicycle / bus tour with their adult children. Some of them are having a hiking or walking tour in a park or in the woods and pulling the Bollerwagen ( a wooden handcart) with them, with loads of alcoholic beverages and some food in it. (Check the you tube video below.)
- Single men celebrate Vatertag with their male friends in the park and their fully packed Bollerwagen or they enjoy it in the pub. It´s time for them to get drunk.
- Vatertag is a holiday to get boozed which is very frightening to think of when men think they can still drive a car.
Walking on Father´s Day!
How do you celebrate Father´s Day as a father?See results without voting
Have you vote?
Which one of the above you have choosen to vote? For me, family bonding at home or having a picnic in the park with my family is the best of all. I am glad that my hubby does not like celebrating Vatertag / Father´s Day with a booze as it would be horrible for me as I don´t like the smell of a drunk man. Father´s Day is just a normal day for us.
BBQ at Home
Ideas For A BBQ Party At Home
Chicken Wings or Legs
Cakes, cupcakes, cakepops
Peanuts and other nuts
Gift Ideas for Father´s Day
Buying a gift for a man is very difficult compared to buying a gift for a woman unless you know him very well. Of course, family bonding is one of the best gifts a son or daughter can give to a father. Here are some gift ideas.
- A bottle of his favourite wine.
- His favourite after shave or perfume.
- A CD or video of a movie he would love to see.
- Pajama or T-shirt
- Something for his hobby like a painting colour when his hobby is painting.
- Seeds when he is a hobby gardener.
- A book he would love to read.
Restaurants and PlacesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Thank you very much for reading. Do you have your Father´s Day this month in your country? Do you celebrate it the way we do here in Germany or do you have another tradition? I will update this hub every now and then when I find something I can add. Please don´t forget to comment. Have a lovely day!
HAPPY FATHER´S DAY!!!
Sources: You Tube Videos and Wikipedia.
Father´s Day Video
The Modern Father´s Day Celebration
© 2015 Thelma Alberts
More by this Author
This article is about how the Filipinos celebrate All Saints Day and All Souls Day. A unique celebration for the remembrance of the dead love ones.
Have you ever thought of the best gifts your mothers of 50+ years could have on Mother´s Day? This hub is what you are looking for. Special gifts for women in their best ages.
Have you tried paraffin wax for your hands and feet? If not, try it and you will see how soft your hands and feet will be. It is a soothing wax spa treatment you´ll love to experience.