Best Christmas Songs Out of the Christmas Hit List
Even if the malls are already decked out with Christmas decors as early as September, the atmosphere is never complete without the tunes of Christmas songs in the air. Even when you are prepping up your Christmas tree alone in your house, you could not help but put on that favorite record that gets you putting those glittery stars and figurines up in your tree. Some people already have arranged their Christmas playlist many years before by buying from itunes, downloading mp3, or just streaming from youtube videos. Whatever it is, they just keep on adding when a new one comes along. I only started mine last year when I came across the List of Christmas Hit Singles from Wikipedia. I tried each song on the list by watching and listening them on youtube videos and selected which one I would like to buy from itunes or mp3 download and include on my playlist.
The List of Christmas Hit Singles enumerates an incomplete list of hit songs and tracks about Christmas by various artists both well known and not. The list is arranged alphabetically by song title with information about the artist and the year it was first released. Some of these songs were released only in the artist's home country which for me explains why I have never heard of the song or may have heard it but with another artist's version.
You never get tired of hearing the same Christmas song every yuletide season. But it would not hurt playing some classics, eccentric and not-so-popular choices. After listening to almost all of a century's worth of collection about Christmas songs, my appreciation for Christmas songs or music per se was never the same. This led me also to some of the songs beyond the list itself which I have included in the Best Christmas Songs Out of the Christmas Hit List.
When I listen and watch to a song download from YouTube, I always imagine what particular emotion it evokes or a particular situation it will be best played. The list below is arranged into categories based on my personal views for ease of use. Carry on!
I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas, Gayla Peevey
Animated Christmas Songs
1. "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas", Gayla Peevey, 1953 - This is very funny. Aside from the way the song was arranged and sang, isn't it funny if your child asks for a hippopotamus for Christmas? The child was so determined that she has suggestions of how Santa Clause would deliver her present. She already has plans of how to take care of this new pet. Even if her mother tried to scare her by telling her the hippos would eat him up. She was clever that she knows it is a vegetarian.
2. "Wombling Merry Christmas", The Wombles, 1974 - This novelty song is one of the many as spin-off of the popular BBC children's television show in mid 1970s. Since it started as a burrow living, pointy-nosed, furry characters, the resulting band, The Wombles, were musicians dressed as such. Despite being fictional in character, this Christmas song just gives you the merriment the "Wombling" way.
Early Christmas Morning, Cyndi Lauper
Festive Family Affair
1. "Christmas Is", Percy Faith, 1966 - When it is chilly and snowing outside, a cup of hot coffee in your hands, the family gathering in the breakfast counter with this music playing, you wish it would never end. It is also best played while the family is preparing for dinner. Definitely love and cheer will fill the air.
2. "Christmas Memories", Frank Sinatra, 1975 - This is a perfect song for families who gather on Christmas Day, reminisce Christmas memories and are looking forward to another merry occasion with them.
3. "Early Christmas Morning", Cindy Lauper, 1998 - This is just the best song about Christmas on the day itself. You can feel the anticipation of the children in opening their presents on Christmas morning. It paints the picture of youth, joy and innocence.
Christmas Eve in my Hometown, Bobby Vinton
Christmas Away From Home
1. "Christmas Eve in my Hometown", Bobby Vinton, 1970 - This is a song of a person who will be missing Christmas because he is away from home. He is just trying to cheer himself up with the memories of Christmas in his hometown.
2. "(There's No Place Like) Home for the Holidays", Perry Como, 1954 - It tells of the effort and the journey people had to take just to be back home for the holiday. They never seem to mind traffic, queue, and the crowd because the thought of getting home on Christmas is the only happiness there will be.
Christmas Day, Dido
Love Is In The Air
1. "A Christmas Kiss", Perry Danos - As the mistletoe is a significant symbol of Christmas, so is the kiss as the best gift among lovers.
2. "Christmas Day", Dido, 2000 - It is a beautiful lyrical song of a young girl who falls in love with a stranger. Since the stranger is going to leave, he promised to return for her on Christmas day. Christmas in itself is a season of hope. But love on Christmas day adds another degree to the anticipation and supposedly fulfillment of that hope.
Danceable Christmas Songs
Can't Help but move my hips to this jazzy Christmas tune. You'll agree with me once the trumpets start blasting on your ears. The songs are about Santa's trip and how's he gonna give the gifts away so that you and I gonna have a cool yule. It is not just the kids who is waiting for him. Everbody is waiting for Santa to arrive.
1 . "Cool Yule", Louis Armstrong and Commanders, 1953
2. "(Everybody's Waitin' For) The Man with the Bag", Kay Starr, 1950
Plain Good O'l Christmas Songs
Not at all times that we need to fill the air only with festive songs. Sometimes we want to be alone and immerse only into the beautiful good o'l Christmas songs. Not to be sad but just to reconnect with ourselves, feel the moment and nourish our souls.
1. "Gee Whiz, It's Christmas", Carla Thomas, 1963
2. "Everyday Will Be Like a Holiday", William Bell, 1967
I have not included here the popular Christmas songs which are guaranteed all time best in themselves. The above list is very short yet there are still too many to mention. Regardless of how long or short the list is, the important thing is that we celebrate Christmas with it's meaning in mind. Remember, to complete the Christmas atmosphere, there should be music in the air.
More by this Author
Boracay is now starting on its high tourist season. It starts this October and ends in May. Before you book that plane ticket to Caticlan or Kalibo, you better know what budget travelers need to know before going to...
I have been searching all over the internet for the List of Best Songs for New Year's Eve but there was nothing I was satisfied with. Either that they were too traditional for me or that they have been like frozen in...
If I have the chance to live permanently in another place, the city of Puerto Princesa, Palawan in the Philippines will be my one and only choice. I have been to several cities here and abroad, but my heart has settled...