Five Gift Ideas for a Five Year Old Girl
Ah...yes...here I am, remembering that one year when I was a five year old girl:
No responsibilities, no rent to pay, spent all day playing.
Oh yeah, but I also got the chicken pox, started kindergarten (and got lost that one time after school), and was forced to dress as a bride for Halloween when I really wanted to be Barbie!
Anyway, based on memories, here are my top 5 ideas for gifts for a five year old girl.
- A Costume Box: Find a fun box and fill it with neat dress-up stuff. You can include things like beaded necklaces, feather boas, lacy hats, and silky pieces of material.
- A plain, wooden dollhouse (consider buying the kind you build at home): not only can she play with it, but if it is plain, she also gets to decorate it! She can paint it, glue fabric down as carpet, and come up with other fun projects. Plus, this is a gift that can be used for years and years, constantly being improved upon--and it provides ideas for future gifts (dollhouse furniture, figures, etc.).
3. A Jewelry Box: I loved winding mine up, listening to the music, and storing my favorite jewels (generally plastic rings and necklaces that were most precious to me) in my special box.
4. A porcelain/ceramic tea set. These might be a bit more expensive than plastic, but also more fun! It adds a bit of realism to her tea parties, plus she can learn how to keep her fragile set safe. Who knows? She might pass the set on to her daughter someday, just as my mom passed hers on to me.
5. A kitten! Who doesn't love kittens?
More by this Author
An old fad is becoming a new trend in these days of economic hardships. Rent parties, also known as house parties, have deep roots in Harlem, where residents threw parties to raise money for bills and rent. With live...
But still, nothing makes the holiday season come alive like some traditional Christmas carols. Growing up in California, I learned Spanish versions of favorite holiday songs about as often as the English versions. The...
A beginner's guide to knitting a scarf. This step-by-step guide teaches you how to knit a homemade scarf with directions for knit and purl stitches, two easy scarf patterns, knitting terminology glossary, and valuable...