Flashback Facts From 1964
The Beatles First Appeared On The Billboard Charts
Happy 50th Birthday to 1964
Welcome to my tribute for the year 1964. I turned one year old this year, so needless to say I don't remember much.
I am curious about what transpired during this eventful year so I will be enjoying the flashback along with you. As each years passes, we gain more knowledge and learn to appreciate what we once had. Cherish the memories you make along the way. Because all yesterday will ever be is just a memory. Some good, some bad, but they have made us who we are today.
If you are one of the lucky people to have celebrated the Big 5-0 during this year, I wish you a Happy Birthday and welcome you to the AARP family. They do offer quite a few options, aging does have some perks.
Don't fret the senior discount yet, you are still too young for that privilege. Chin up, it's quite an honor to become a "Half-Decade" young.
If you have any favorite memories from 1964 please share them with us in the comment section below. Don't be shy...age is just a number. 50 is nifty!
My gift to you is a friendly reminder that a colonoscopy is recommended for those who are 50 years and over. There are no excuses to have this simple test performed. Consider the consequences and just get 'er done. You'll be glad you did.
Martin Luther King - Nobel Peace Prize
The Year Was 1964
Included below are 50 Flashback Facts from 1964. You might remember some of them. Then again, you might not.
Either way, enjoy the history and appreciate how far we've come.
Some thoughts to ponder as you go back in time:
With the arrival of each new year we are renewed. We are given a new lease on our lives, to better ourselves. You might already be an amazing person, but there is nothing wrong with taking it up one more notch.
We commit to challenges and try our best to succeed. We do not back down.
We get stronger. Our skin gets thicker and maybe a bit more wrinkled. We strive to be better than we once were.
We could have made mistakes, which hopefully we learned from. We gained new knowledge which helps make us a better person.
Or, possibly you are perfect with no flaws. In that case, carry on being your awesome self.
We might have lost a loved one, but we will always have the memories that we treasure and that keeps them with us always.
We age, yes, we age. We can't stop the aging process, but we could refuse to grow up.
Memories of 1964
Do you have memories of 1964?See results without voting
Random Facts From 1964
- Buffalo Bills won the AFL Championship (What we now know as the Super Bowl)
- The Rolling Stones had their first headlining tour
- President Lyndon Johnson declared War on Poverty
- The US General Luther Terry began the first report that smoking could be hazardous to your health
- Jacqueline Kennedy made her first appearance since President John F. Kennedy's assassination
- GI Joe debuts as most popular toy for American boys
- Elizabeth Taylor divorced for the 4th time with Eddie Fisher and marries Richard Burton 10 days later
- The Munsters TV show debuted on September 24th
- Martin Luther King won the Nobel Peace Prize
- Nelson Mandela was sentenced to life in prison in South Africa
- The Beach Boys had the #1 song with "I Get Around"
- The first Lung Transplant (It's amazing at how far medical science has come. Yet, still no cure for cancer or so many other life-threatening diseases)
- The USPS introduced the zip code to speed up snail mail
Bewitched TV Show
American Experience: 1964
More Flashback Facts from 1964
- The first Ford Mustang was produced with a base price of $2,368.00
- Peggy Fleming won the US Female Figure Skating Championship
- Scott Allen won the US Male Figure Skating Championship
- Bewitched TV show debuted (Many of us wished we were a witch with a twitchy nose)
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer debuted (Rudolph is still just as popular)
- The first football game at Shea Stadium in NY. The Jets defeated the Broncos
- Pop Tarts were introduced and breakfast time became easier and tastier
- Go Go Girls began performing on platforms in bars (I'm sure that must have been entertaining for many)
- The most popular book was "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" by John LeCarre
- "My Fair Lady" won the Best Picture at the 37th Annual Academy Awards. It also won Best Director and Best Actor for Rex Harrison
- The first Kennedy half-dollar was introduced, which was all silver
- Gilligan's Island debuted on September 26th
- Food Stamps were introduced to help the fight with poverty
- TV Game Show "Jeopardy" debuted with Art Fleming as the host
- Arby's opened their first fast food restaurant
- The world population was 3.276 billion
Fashion From 1964
1964 in a Nutshell
As you could see from the facts 1964 was a year that included fantastic music between the Beatles, Rolling Stones and the Beach Boys.
Television shows were entertaining. From a family of Munsters, a crew being stranded on a deserted island to the Jeopardy game show which until today gives viewers brains quite a work out.
The country, along with his wife and children were still in shock and mourning over the assassination of John F. Kennedy.
Martin Luther King continued his stance against racial discrimination. Nelson Mandela would spend many years in prison for what he believed in.
The government knew that cigarettes were hazardous for our health, but they continue to be easily accessible. Why? Because tobacco is a billion dollar a year business.
Barbra Streisand appeared on Broadway in Funny Girl and Elizabeth Taylor continued to accumulate husbands.
Happy 50th Birthday to Lenny Kravitz
Michelle Obama turned 50 Years Old
Who Celebrated Their 50th Birthday in 2014
- Jan. 7th, Nicolas Cage (Actor)
- Jan. 17th, Michelle Obama (First Lady of the US)
- Jan. 23rd, Mariska Hargitay (Law & Order TV)
- Feb. 11th, Sheryl Crow (Singer)
- Feb. 18th, Matt Dillon (Actor)
- March 17th, Rob Lowe (Actor)
- March 29th, Elle MacPherson (Model)
- April 7th, Russell Crowe (Actor)
- May 13th, Stephen Colbert (Television host)
- May 26th, Lenny Kravitz (Actor, Musician)
- May 28th, Phil Vassar (Country music singer)
- May 30th, Wynonna Judd (Country music singer)
- June 15th, Courtney Cox (Actress - Friends, Cougar Town)
Sandra Bullock Celebrated her 50th Birthday
Russell Crowe - 50 Years Old
More 50th Birthday Honorees
- July 22nd, David Spade (Actor)
- July 24th, Barry Bonds (Baseball player)
- July 26th, Sandra Bullock (Actress)
- July 28th, Lori Loughlin (Full House TV)
- Sept. 2nd, Keanu Reeves (Actor)
- Sept. 14th, Faith Ford (Actress)
- Sept. 19th, Trisha Yearwood (Country music singer)
- Oct. 31st, Darryl Worley (Country music singer)
- Dec. 4th, Marisa Tomei (Actress - My Cousin Vinny)
- Dec. 8th, Teri Hatcher (Actress - Desperate Housewives)
The Beatles 1964
© 2014 Linda Bilyeu
More by this Author
1963 was an eventful and memorable year. Besides being the year that Linda Bilyeu and Johnny Depp entered the world, John F. Kennedy was assassinated. I've included 50 facts from 1963...
Where were you in 1965? This year had it's ups and downs. From Diet Pepsi, to the Beatles and the war in Vietnam, 1965 was history in the making...
Have you ever received a letter from your Homeowners Association? The letter that notifies you that your lawn isn't green enough or that you left a tricycle on the porch? I have and I thought I'd write them a letter...