Forty Random Thoughts As I Turned 40
I turned forty a few months ago and I honestly have not come to grips with it. Age is but a number they say but 40 is a number a lot of people, except me (ahem!) make a big deal of. I found my 20's a bit chaotic and strange. Turning 30 was something I actually looked forward too. I made a lot of important and clever decisions in my 30's and felt adulthood at its best! Turning 40 however is a different story. I seem to have some sort of "complex" about it. I am also failing to understand the cliche "life begins at 40".
Lately however, I managed it make myself realize that instead of worrying about getting old and wrinkled, perhaps I should think about 40 things I learned on my own and from others, after 4 decades of existence! Here goes:
- One good deed does not qualify you to judge others.
- Diet and exercise is a way of life, not something you do randomly or every new year, for 2 weeks.
- In these times when opinions are always welcome, look before you speak.
- Sarcasm does not equate with wit or intelligence.
- Choose your battles well - preferably the ones that concern you alone.
- If someone talks to much, tune them out without telling them to shut up.
- Parenthood breeds unconditional love.
- Women usually end up like their mothers.
- We all get old, we all get there, so why hurry?
- Life has a lot to offer, it's not a matter of living life simply but living life in moderation.
- Count the calories without depriving yourself.
- It is possible to be heard without speaking.
- Losing is sometimes a choice, and when it is, it's victory.
- Looking young starts in your heart.
- Destiny is not predetermined. However, it does depend in your determination.
- You can find strength in silence.
- A lot of critics are unaware of their own reflection.
- When life gets too overwhelming, add a parameter.
- Life like age is not wrinkle-free.
- Sometimes you have to look back before you move forward.
- Your past will always chase you as long as you keep running away from it.
- If you are expecting something back, don't bother giving.
- You only live once, but you can reinvent yourself over and over.
- Sometimes it is okay to run away from your errands.
- You can't dig dirt about others without getting a bit dirty yourself.
- You can compete with yourself, as long as you're not your own judge.
- Being funny does not always mean you are likable.
- Men who oppress women are afraid of their own weaknesses and of a woman's strength.
- A lot of pains we complain about are self inflicted.
- You can't be a victim when you allowed it to happen.
- When you get to the end of your rope, let go or hang on.
- Life is a journey and you're it's main chauffeur.
- Low fat or fat-free, doesn't mean it's going to make you skinny.
- Education is your best investment. You don't have to retire first before you get the returns.
- Hope for the best without letting the worst surprise you.
- Make peace by making frenemies.
- Life's so full a miracles - there has to be a God.
- The golden rule is not everybody's rule.
- People who talk without substance usually like to have to last word.
- Some people talk too much but don't think as much.
More by this Author
A festival is a special occasion celebrated by a group of people having common interests, beliefs, history or culture. It is usually a periodic commemoration marked by feasting and ceremonies. Festivals are celebrated...
No comments yet.