Fun Trivia Quiz Questions with Answers for Hogmanay, Burns Night or Scottish Parties!
Burns Night is held annually on January 25th, and celebrates the life and work of Scotland's most popular poet.
Robert Burns, or Robbie 'The Bard' Burns, or the Ploughman Poet as he is sometimes called, has become an icon for contemporary Scottish culture, and each year on his birthday people gather to enjoy a cheerful evening of traditional Scottish food and drink, and to recite some of Burns' many poems and songs.
This free quiz can be used at any Burns Night event or Scottish party to add to the fun, and also to educate those who perhaps may not know so much about one of Scotland's most well loved and famous personages.
The answers to the quiz are shown in italics directly next to the questions.
Ten Quiz Questions for Burns Night or Scottish Parties!
1) What is the capital city of Scotland? Edinburgh.
2) What famous building sits on top of an extinct volcano in Edinburgh? The castle.
3) How many counties are there in Scotland? 32.
4) Which Scottish city is home to a world famous school of art? Glasgow.
5) Name Scotland’s most well-known comedian. Billy Connelly.
6) What is the name of Scotland’s most famous monster? Nessie or The Loch Ness Monster.
7) When someone talks about Munro Bagging, what are they referring to? Climbing mountains.
8) Name Britain’s highest mountain. Ben Nevis.
9) Whereabouts in Scotland is Ben Nevis? At the western end of the Grampian Mountains, in the Lochaber area of the Highlands, close to Fort William.
10) What is haggis traditionally made from? Sheep’s stomach stuffed with diced heart, liver and kidney, oat, suet, spices and salt.
New Fiction from the Author of this Quiz!
Ten More Quiz Questions for Burns Night or Scottish Parties!
11) What kind of food is Selkirk Bannock? A fruity flat cake similar to a large flat scone.
12) What is an Arbroath Smokie? Salted smoked haddock.
13) According to tradition, who was the first king of Scotland? Coinneach mac Ailpein (in English: Kenneth MacAlpin.)
14) Name Scotland’s last reigning monarch. Queen Anne.
15) Which famous Scot invented television? John Logie Baird.
16) Which famous Scot invented telephones? Alexander Graham Bell.
17) Name the chapel, south of Edinburgh, which has been linked to the Knights Templar, Freemasons and contemporary conspiracy theories? Rosslyn Chapel.
18) What assembles at Holyrood Palace? The Scottish Parliament.
19) Name the beautiful viaduct which features in the Harry Potter films. The Glenfinnan Viaduct.
20) Who’s birthday is celebrated on January 25th? Robert Burns.
Quiz Team T-shirts!
Another Ten Quiz Questions for Burns Night or Scottish Parties!
21) What year was Robert Burns born in? 1759.
22) What food would a typical Burns Night Supper include? Haggis.
23) With which drink would the ladies present be toasted? Scotch whisky.
24) And what would be recited? Robert Burns’ poetry.
25) Which of Burns’ poems would be read as the haggis was set down on the dining table?
Address to a Haggis.
26) Which of Burns’ works is often sung at Hogmanay? Auld Lang Syne.
27) Where is Burns’ mausoleum? St Michael’s Churchyard in Dumfries.
28) As well as poetry, what did Robert Burns also write? Songs and political or social commentaries.
29) In 2009, Scottish television viewers voted Robert Burns as being what? The greatest Scot.
30) Which Burns’ song served for a long time as Scotland’s unofficial national anthem? Scots Wha Hae.
- Wirral's Unknown Mystic
Thomas Joseph Walton, AKA West Cheshire Lad, or simply "T", was a philosopher and poet...
- Interview with Poet and Writer Adrienne Odasso
Adrienne Odasso is the author of four published books of poetry and several short stories. She has recently completed her Ph.D at the University of York...
© 2011 Adele Cosgrove-Bray
More by this Author
This fun, free quiz is great for St Patrick's Day or any Irish-themed activity. The questions cover general knowledge, history, folklore, geography and the arts. It is suitable for many social situations, from family...
Are you planning a Welsh-themed party, or celebrating St David's Day? This fun free quiz can easily be used as part of the entertainment! It is suitable for all ages, and can also be used to test people's knowledge of...
If you are seeking a fun, free quiz, then look no further! Here are one hundred trivia questions with the answers in italics beside them, good for parties, social groups, pub quizzes or school groups.