How to Get In the Christmas Mood
Christmas is nearing and we're beginning to see signs of it everywhere.
City workers are draping greenery interwoven with big red bows and gold and silver ornaments around every lamppost and sign all around town.
The Salvation Army bellringers are at their posts in front of all the stores and malls ringing their bells for any spare change you might have.
Young and old stand high on top of ladders trying to reach the tallest branches to hang their strands of colorful Christmas lights.
Extension cords are laced across yards to reach all of the Christmas inflatables.
The newspaper, TV, and radio are filled with Christmas ads luring you to reach for your money and buy, buy, buy.
What do you do if you're still not in the Christmas mood?
Things You Can Do to Get Into the Christmas Mood
Below are a list of ideas to help get you in the Christmas mood.
- Go on a Christmas Scavenger Hunt-I have created a list of items to look for to make it easy for you!
- Listen to Christmas music. I've assembled over twenty of my favorite Christmas music videos.
- Decorate your house with festive ribbons, bows, greenery, scented candles. One of my absolute favorites is a Woodwick candle. They have a wood wick that crackles when burning to get that sound of a fireplace crackling. The scents are incredible as well. Try scents that remind you of the holidays.
- Buy some strands of LED lights and decorate your yard by wrapping the trunk and a few limbs of a tree in your yard. If you have a tall enough tree, drape entire strands of lights like long icicles for a beautiful effect. Some of the grand homes here do that and it's absolutely beautiful.
- Try decorating ideas you may not have tried before such as switching out your current wall light switchplates with Christmas light switch plates. It takes less than a minute to unscrew two screws, pop off the old switchplate and screw the new one on.
- Catch some Christmas specials on TV. I found a website that has the Christmas TV listings.
- Go ride around looking at Christmas lights. I've assembled the locations and websites of some of the Best Christmas Lights in Texas.
- Any day now you will begin to receive Christmas cards. Where are you planning to display them? For ideas for displaying your Christmas cards visit my hub about Christmas Card Holders.
- Start looking for stocking stuffers for all of the family. Think small. Think unique.
- Visit a friend who is already in the holiday spirit. Their mood just might be contagious.
- You can take a lot of the stress out of Christmas if you start planning now.
- Volunteer your time for a local charity that is having a Christmas activity for the public. Last year my daughter and I volunteered to paint faces at a community feast called "The Feast of Sharing" that is sponsored by H.E.B. Food Stores (Texas chain of grocers). They provide thousands of free meals with all the trimmings to anyone in the community. We had a blast. We wore our Santa hats and painted hundreds of children's faces with snowmen, reindeer, Christmas trees, candycanes and anything else they requested. Admittedly, we had some unusual requests, but it made the day more memorable. We'll be volunteering again this year. Dozens of other fellow employees that I work with will be serving food or helping children make holiday crafts.
- Make some Christmas cutout cookies. Making cutout cookies is an annual tradition at my house. I have probably two dozen cookie cutters and we spend a couple of hours cutting out cookies, baking them and then decorating them with icing and sprinkles.
- If there is snow on the ground where you are, build a snowman or play in the snow with snow toys.
- Go on a sleigh ride. Check out my sleigh ride directory for one near you.
More Christmas-Related Hubs by KCC Big Country
- Great Recipes for Thanksgiving and Christmas
It's that time of year when we're invited to Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas parties and holiday celebrations. Are you tired of taking the same old thing? Do you want something simple you can whip up in...
- Gift Ideas for Men
Christmas Gift Ideas for Him (Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons) Christmas is just around the corner. What do you get that hard-to-get man in your life? You may even have several men to buy for. What...
- Gift Ideas for Women
Gifts for Her (Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons) Christmas is nearing. What do you get for all those women on your gift list? You don't want to get them the same worn out gifts. It's time to think...
- Driving Experiences Make Great Gifts
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." by Maya Angelou I think this is also true about Christmas gift...
- Great Board Game for Christmas-Times To Remember
Have you ever owned a board game that everyone you introduced it to absolutely loved it? I have. It's called "Times to Remember". The tagline is "The Game That's a Blast From Your Past". It was...
- Childhood Christmas Memories
Christmas is always a time of reflection for me. I love reminiscing of past Christmases. It's a time when I think about all the things that make Christmas so special. Being an only child, I don't have fond...
- Unusual Alarm Clocks Make Great Christmas Gifts
I'm one of the fortunate people that doesn't really need an alarm to wake up. No matter what time I go to bed, I can almost always wake up when I'm supposed to. I do still set the alarm just in case and there...
- Gift Cards Make Great Gifts
It seems that every person has at least one person on their gift list that they have no idea what to get them. You know the type. Either they have everything they ever wanted or they are incredibly...
- Baby's First Christmas Keepsakes
If you, or someone you know has had a baby since Christmas 2008, then Christmas 2009 is going to be ultra special. Christmas 2009 will be Baby's First Christmas. Proud mothers and grandmothers create and...
- Great Gift Idea for Women-American West Genuine Leather Products
Leather products, particularly Western-style leather products, are quite popular in Texas. Go to any mall shop or kiosk and you'll find many leather products and imitation leather products. American West,...
- Obama Chia Pet-Ch-ch-ch-chia!
Ch-ch-ch-ch-chia! Where are the Chia commercials? You know it's time to start seeing them because the Christmas buying season is here. Time to order now in order to guarantee delivery by Christmas! Don't...
- Making it Through the Holidays After Losing Someone You Love
Making it Through the Holidays After Losing Someone You Love (Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons) If you've ever experienced the death of family member, or perhaps someone very close to you then you'll...
- Maglite Flashlight-Great Gift for Him
Mini-Maglite flashlights (Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons) If you have a guy on your Christmas list this year, you can't go wrong with a Maglite (often referred to as Mag light). I have never met a man who...
- Christmas Shopping Safety
Christmas Shopping (Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons) With Black Friday just around the corner, it's that time of year when everyone is heading to the malls and shops to buy Christmas gifts. Crime seems to...
- Christmas Ideas for Teens-Fun Novelty Telephones-Hamburger and Fries
I know more and more people are doing away with a home telephone and switching to cellphones. But, look at the fun you'll be missing, with the exception of the one cellphone accessory I have featured. ...
More by this Author
Driving around looking at beautiful Christmas light displays is a fun pastime in Texas. This is a directory of some of the best.
Provided are a few gift ideas for the woman in your life that seems to have everything. You might just find inspiration for that really unique gift for her.
A fascinating look at Beatrice Wood, the woman James Cameron modeled Rose Dewitt Bukater Calvert after in the movie "Titanic".