Gift Wrapping With Newspaper: Creative Eco Friendly Ideas
The next time that you're going to wrap presents, reach for a recycled option such as newspaper. It is inexpensive, is readily available, and will save traditional wrapping paper from heading right to the garbage. In addition to wrapping items in newspaper, there are a variety of creative ways to embellish packages with newspaper such as flowers and bows. This article also includes a number of other materials and ideas for eco friendly gift wrapping.
How To Identify Eco-Friendly Products
Why seek out eco friendly gift wrap options?
- It can be cost effective. While making your own eco friendly wrapping can be more time consuming than purchasing ready made wrapping, it is often cheaper. Many eco friendly options are simple and primarily involve materials that most people would throw away or have on hand already.
- It creates less waste. The reason that I started exploring alternative gift wrapping myself was because I didn't like all of the waste that regular wrapping paper creates. Why buy something that will be used for such a short amount of time and then thrown away? Most eco friendly choices can be recycled or re-used.
- It pairs well with eco friendly gifts. if you're giving any type of eco friendly gift, it is natural to use eco friendly wrapping for it.
- Homemade wrapping adds a personal touch to a gift. Any type of homemade wrapping, whether it is eco friendly or not, will give a gift a personal touch. I frequently use small leftover scrapbook paper pieces to create gift tags, and people are always impressed. Including a small newspaper flower on top of each newspaper wrapped gift will wow your family and friends.
Tip: Save gift bows and ribbons from previous gifts and use them with your newspaper wrapped and/or embellished gifts.
8 Eco-Friendly Ways to Wrap Gifts With Newspaper
Newspaper wrapping ideas and tutorials
- The classic newspaper wrapping. There is nothing wrong with keeping it simple and wrapping your gifts in a sheet or two of newspaper. You don't have to add any kind of embellishment.
- Rolled flower gift topper. This tutorial is where I got the idea for my newspaper flowers that I used in the header photo. There are tutorials out there for rolled flowers made out of just about every kind of fabric and paper. Why not use newspaper? It is a little messy getting ink on your fingers, but it is so inexpensive and aesthetically pleasing. I cut and rolled several sheets for each newspaper flower instead of using single sheets as you would for thicker paper or for fabric.
- Layered flower gift topper. Another popular flower craft idea is layered flowers. You can create flowers with just newspaper layers or you can layer newspaper with scrapbook paper or fabric scraps, magazine or book pages, and more. There are many more layered flower tutorials out there if you're looking for something different.
- Recycled paper bow. After finding a couple great tutorials for homemade bows like this one, I will never buy a gift bow again. The bow making process is so simple. Check out this great variation using the yellow pages from a phone book.
- Paper gift bag. I save all of my gift bags that can get at least one more use. This stash has kept me going for years. Hopefully if you're in the eco gift wrapping mode already, you're doing this as well and won't need to make your own bags any time soon. However, if you need bags and/or want to make something customized, you can make your own. Jessica of How About Orange has a tutorial for a newspaper gift bag. These tutorials for junk mail gift bags and paper gift bags will also work well with newspaper.
Just a Few Possibilities
Plastic Grocery Bags
Re-Use Tissue Paper
Re-Use Gift Bags
Toilet Paper or Paper Towel Tubes
Re-Use Gift Boxes
There are lots of other great choices for eco friendly gift wrapping. Check out these neat tutorials.
Shop Eco Friendly
A Few More Eco Gift Wrapping Ideas
Etsy : eco-friendly wrapping paper
More great eco friendly resources from the author.
- Ways to Reuse Empty Pill Bottles: Crafts, Ideas, and More
This article is about ways to reuse empty pill bottles. It includes basic ways to reuse and recycle them as well as craft projects with pill bottles. There are lots of photos, links, and other resources.
- Junk Mail Crafts: How to Make Unique Projects With Recycled Paper
This article is about junk mail crafts. There are a wide variety of unique projects to make with recycled paper including stationery products, wall art, jewelry, and home decor. There are lots of photos and resources.
- Recycled Magazine Craft Project: Greeting Cards
This article is about making greeting cards out of recycled magazines. It covers a wide range of techniques that you can use with magazine pages including punching, stamping, layering, and more. There are lots of photos and resources.
More by this Author
This article is about homemade teacher appreciation gifts. It includes ideas for 10 different personalized unique gifts that you and your kids can make for their teachers.
Are you looking for green ways to give up wrapping paper this year? Consider these frugal eco alternatives for holidays and other special occasions.
This article is a collection of sample interview questions and answers for special education teachers. It also contains a number of tips and considerations for the interview.