Birthday Gift Ideas for Picky Men and Dads
Gifts for Picky Dads
I'm not sure if other fathers are like me, but I'm a bit picky about the gifts I like. Usually, surprise gifts aren't a good idea, but as a father, here are a few gift ideas for dads that I would like.
Guidelines for Selecting a Gift
There are few guidelines for picking out a gift for your dad. The best policy is to ask your father what he wants. Often times people will think they know what fathers want, and usually fathers are polite and thankful, but if you really want to get your father the perfect gift, just ask him what he wants. If you think that is boring, and it is a bit, but the downside is getting him another gadget or thing that quickly turns to junk status. So, if you're going to surprise him with a gift that you think he will like try to see if it passes these rules.
- Never give him a decoration. Fathers get way too many of these and it's rude to project your personal taste on another person even if he is your father.
- Look for gifts that can be consumed quickly. Things like homemade cookies and pies are good because if he doesn't like them, they will go bad quickly and he won't be constantly reminded of another lost opportunity to get a gift he would actually like.
- Similar to gifts that can be consumed are gifts that die like plants and flowers. The point is the gift is temporary. If he likes it great, if he doesn't he'll throw it out once its dead.
- It's never acceptable to surprise your father with a live gift like a puppy or kitten. This gift is incredibly insensitive. Owning an animal is a very personal decision and should never be a surprise gift.
- If you have to give an item, make sure it has a gift receipt.
Here are Some Gift Ideas for Dad that fit the rules above
- Cook his favorite dinner for him and clean up:)
- Rub is back and feet.
- Teach him how to make Hubs or something else that is new
- Give a gift of labor like pulling weeds, raking the yard or washing his car. Even better, do all three. You can give him a book of coupons he can redeem for the tasks.
- Take him to a movie. Just the two of you, but something he wants to see.
If you don't care that the man or dad is picky and you're getting him a gift anyway
I don't recommend this, but if you insist on surprising your father with a gift and you really want a great idea that he'll love here are a few things that I really like and if if your dad is anything like me you'll have gotten him the perfect gift.
- A Hug and a Kiss, plus some money. My seven year old daughter gave me this for Fathers day and I have to say it was my favorite gift.
- My wife gave me some Lululemon shirts and sweats. These are pretty expensive, but I really like them, accpet for the Lululemon shorts. They fit me kind of strange because I have big legs. These shorts are better for skinny people.
I'm big on themes. So if your dad likes to barbecue like I do, here are some great gifts for people that like to bbq.
- An instant read digital thermometer. Get him the Thermapen. You'll have perfectly cooked meat as a bonus.
- Get him a great grill that looks beautiful as well. I have a Kamado Grill. It's awesome, but the company that sells them is bad. You might get him a big green egg instead, although they aren't as pretty.
- Spices for his barbecue
- A shop vacuum. Shop vaccums are great for cleaning barbecues and fireplaces out quickly, although they will kick up some dust.
- Go to the best steakhouse in town and get dry aged beef for him to cook. Delicious.
List of Unique Gifts for Dads 2012 - 2013
Sometimes Dads don't know what they want, so it helps to give them options. Here's a suggestion. Give them a list of five great gift ideas that range from unusual to practical and see what they want.
Here is my list of top gifts for 2012 - 2013
- An instant read thermometer or a digital wireless thermometer or both. The thermapen is my favorite. It's super easy to use and the big numbers make it easy to read. I also really like the William Sonoma wireless meat thermometer for roasting meats.
- The Contigo Aria 20 ounce coffee mug is my number one rated travel coffee mug. See the bottom of this Hub on the top coffee mug. This is a super cool gift that most people don't know how great this mug is
- Lululemon sweats are about as stylish and comfortable gift there is for men. They are pricey, but fantastic. If he doesn't have any, he'll love them. This is one gift that is worth the risk.
- Wine club membership. My favorite winery is Laetitia, but almost all wineries have a club where they will get a few bottles of wine delivered every quarter. Most clubs will let you pick the varietal. Ridge in Healdsburg, CA has a very good wine club as well.
- Blue Bottle Coffee. It's a gourmet coffee that is roasted fresh daily. You can order the coffee direct from the website or even get him a subscription. People love this gift, although, the coffee comes in a whole bean, so the person needs to have a coffee grinder for this gift to work well.
What's the top 2012 Gift for Dads
What is the top gift for DadsSee results without voting
More by this Author
Three great birthday, Christmas or special occasion gifts for nine year old girls
A list of gift ideas for six-year-old girls: for her birthday, Christmas or special occasions. The list is revised annually based on a poll of readers and contains ideas for every type of young girl.
Suggestions from kids, parents, and friends on what to get an eight-year-old girl for her birthday.