Halloween Home Decorating Ideas and Tips
Indoor Halloween Decorating
Halloween is a fun holiday that's meant to be enjoyed. Children get candy and everyone else have parties. You can decorate the outside of your house with fun and scary Halloween props and decorations, but you don't want to forget the inside of the house.
There are many different kinds of decorations that you can choose from to decorate your home with.Depending on what mood you're going with, you'll want to plan and spend time buying or making the decorations.
You can keep things simple, or you can go all out. If you're just trying to set up a few things for your personal viewing pleasure, then I wouldn't worry about going all out. I'd suggest just sticking with a few things like a table centerpiece, a few end table decorations and maybe something to hang on the door and/or window.
If you're planning a party, that's a whole other story. You'll want to go all out, planning the lighting, sounds, and maybe even fog. Low lights with candles, Halloween props that light up, and dark colored bulbs, will help create a more spooky atmosphere.
Simple Halloween Decoration
Depending on how elaborate you want to go, below are a few simple decoration tips that you can consider. If you want, you can go one step further to better these ideas.
- Use dry ice in places to create wisps of smoke and fog
- Use various centerpieces where you know people will go, such as the food and snack table
- Put shrunken apple heads in the snack bowl, chairs, and in various places
- Spooky music is a must
- Line your walkway with lighted jack-o-lanterns or other other Halloween decor
- Make sure that you decorate the outside with cobwebs, graves, skeletons, and zombies
- Put spiders on the buffet table, hanging from the ceiling, and anywhere else that may spook your guests.
- Place cobwebs in doorways and corners
- Cover the furniture with white sheets to give the appearance of an abandoned old house.
- Consider putting talcum powder on the sheets so that when your guests sit a cloud of dust puffs up
- Hang bat, witch, or black cat silhouettes in the corners of your windows
- Add something to every room; you want every room people have access to, to have one main focal point
- If you don't want people exploring your house, block off the rooms with caution tape
Even if you make your house super scary, you want to make sure that your guests are welcome, just scared. Keep things fun and entertaining. With a spooky entrance with a decorated yard and home.
Make sure that you have everything planned out and you know what you want to do. You'll probably want to purchase most of your props and supplies, but remember that to save money, you can make some of your props.
Paper mache is a great way to make bones and other Halloween props. You'll just want to make sure that you give yourself plenty of time to design, paint, and let them dry before you use them.
Your house can be the scariest one of the block if you put your imagination to it.
Just make sure that you keep everything safe, both inside and outside of your house.
Halloween Props and Decor
There are many different things that you can add to your home for Halloween, as mentioned above you can make your Halloween party spooky with proper lighting and sounds, as well as props hidden in places you know your guests will see them.
Your guests will be expecting something to jump out at them, but you want to make sure that they're on their toes. You don't want your decorations to be too obvious, and you want to catch your guests off guard. That's what makes things more fun.
Consider adding the following props to heighten the scary factor.
- Black cats
- Evil jack-o-lanterns
- Halloween Yard Decoration Ideas
Tips for decorating your yard for Halloween.
More by this Author
Christmas shopping for a newborn isn't always the easiest task, but there are plenty of options for nice Christmas gifts for them.
I have never been a fan of caking on makeup on my face, but I will admit that I greatly admire those people who spend a good deal of time applying Halloween makeup to the point where a realistic feel is created. ...
An awesome-looking tattoo can unfortunately turn into a big infected mess. Read on to learn the symptoms of infection and how to treat it.