Halloween Scavenger Hunt
Living in Texas, the cooler weather that we begin to experience in the fall inspires us to want to get outdoors more. In the weeks leading up to Halloween it's a great time to get a group of family or friends together and ride around looking at Halloween decorations.
I have hosted several Scavenger Hunts for my daughter and her friends for birthday parties and we have always found them to be a lot of fun. One Christmas, I created a Holiday Scavenger Hunt that incorporated a scavenger hunt with looking at Christmas lights and decorations around town. So, I thought it would be fun to do that for Halloween as well.
I have made a list of situations to look for that you can check off when riding around as well as a list of items to find. The situations are where you are looking for a house that has a specific item on the list. You can simply check it off or write down the address next to the item. With so many people having camera phones you could also require the participants to take a photo as proof of finding the situations on the list.
You can do this in several different ways. You can compete against one or more other groups in separate vehicles or it can simply be something you do on your own with friends or family just for fun where you're not actually competing against anyone. If you’re in a rural area incorporating a hayride into this could be fun as well.
Whichever way you decide, print out this list and head out for some spooky and entertaining Halloween fun.
Please remember to buckle up and drive safely. Make sure the driver is a responsible driver and keeps everyone safe. You might even consider switching out drivers partway through the night to give the driver a chance to look around more too.
Checklist of Situations to Find While Riding Around
Find a house that:
- Has more than 5 ghosts displayed
- Has a Halloween scene that includes a witch
- Used only white lights to decorate their house
- Has more than one tree strung with lights in their yard
- Has their mailbox decorated for Halloween
- Utilized colored or clear icicle lights on the house eaves
- Has the roof of their house decorated for Halloween
- Has more than three inflatable Halloween decorations in their yard
- Has at least 3 bats in their yard
- Has a real carved pumpkin that is lit up
- Has an uncarved pumpkin
- Has Halloween or spooky music playing
- Has at least two decorations that have motorized-movement
- A house with no decorations with a house on both sides that does have decorations
- Has a skeleton
- Has a vampire or Dracula
- Depicts blood in some way
- Has used a blacklight in their decorations
- Has created a large spider web for a larger than life spider
- Has a witch's cauldron
- Has an artificial carved pumpkin
- Has a licensed character such as Mickey Mouse, Hello Kitty, Spongebob, etc.
- Has created a haunted house to walk through
- Has created a lit pathway to their front door
- Has "Keep Out" posted
- Has "Enter if You Dare" posted
- You are able to see that they have decorated the inside of their house as well
Items to Find and Collect
These items are intended to be items that you find while you're out. If you're competing against another team, these items will usually be the things that allow one team to do better than the other. If you're not competing against another group, you could skip these items, but it still may be fun to see if you can at least find them even if you don't collect them.
- Something small and wooden
- One artificial flower
- Orange button
- Something small and old
- Napkin with a logo on it
- Either an orange, black or purple Crayon
- Packet of ketchup or hot sauce
- Red straw
- Small toy
- Something small and broken
- One piece of unopened Halloween candy
- Something with the word "October" on it
- The names of three scary movies (no sequels)
- Do at least one good deed for a stranger while you're out
- An un-inflated balloon that is either black or orange
- A rubberband
Have You Ever Participated in a Halloween Scavenger Hunt?See results without voting
More Fall or Halloween-Related Hubs by KCC Big Country
- Halloween Costume Ideas to Wear to Work
Go as Dominoes for Halloween I've been fortunate to work for employers who enjoy giving back to the community and enjoy the fun of Halloween. One employer participated in hosting a trick-or-treating event...
- Halloween Costume Ideas for Adults
Have you ever noticed that adult Halloween costumes or the 'one size fits most" adult costumes seem to be designed for 12 year old flat-chested girls around 4 ft. tall? What do you do if you're over 5 feet...
- Hot Halloween Make-up Tutorials
Halloween is my favorite holiday. It's because it is the one day that your imagination is free to run wild. Anything goes. Well, almost. For as far back as I can remember, I've always marveled at really...
- Halloween Make-up Tutorials
Halloween is a fantastic time to get creative with make-up tricks. Make-up can create a one-of-a-kind look that you'll find everyone admiring. Creating a striking look with make-up deserves attention. With...
- Halloween Infant Costumes
Both of my children had early November birthdays so that meant they were almost 1 year old when Halloween rolled around. This also meant both of my children were already walking by their first Halloween. I...
- Halloween Dog Costumes
Halloween is such a fun time to dress up. Have you noticed that dressing up for Halloween is not just limited to kids anymore? More and more adults dress up and now even pets are dressing up. There are...
- Remember Halloween and Fall Carnivals When You Were a Kid?
If you're in your 40s or 50s, basically, a young baby boomer, chances are you remember Halloween and fall school carnivals the way I remember them. I'll apologize up front right now for the rambling nature...
- Halloween Movie Trivia-1978
Attention Baby Boomers, where were you when Halloween came out in October 1978? I was 15 years old and dating my first husband. I remember sitting in the theater holding on tightly to his arm. Halloween...
- Pumpkin Carving
Halloween has been observed for centuries. Pumpkin carving began when the Celtics would carve turnips or gourds that they would display on their porch or window sill to welcome deceased loved ones and act...
- Planning a Great Halloween Party
So you're thinking about hosting your very own Halloween Party. Where do you begin? Perhaps I can help. I've planned and hosted a number of Halloween parties over the years. Some were simple affairs with...
- Top 10 Fall Activities to Visit in Texas
Fall is such a great time to get out and do things in Texas! With this year's record-breaking heat, I'm sure everyone is ready for the weather to finally cool off below 100 degrees Fahrenheit. We ready...
- Haunted Houses in Texas
Haunted Houses seem to be sprouting up everywhere in Texas. When I was growing up they were few and far between, and to be honest, they weren't very good. Today's haunted houses are loaded with...
- The Haunted Driskill Hotel in Austin, Texas
The Driskill Hotel in located on the corner of 6th and Brazos Streets in downtown Austin, Texas. "Colonel" Jesse Lincoln Driskill, a Missouri-born cattle baron made his fortune from providing beef to the...
- Corn Maze Directory for 2010
Are you looking for something fun to do? Have you ever been to a Corn Maze? I bet there's one near you. Many of them are open from early August until Thanksgiving. Be sure to check before making plans. A...
More by this Author
Are you looking for some Halloween costume ideas for a group of people? Here are some great ideas for group Halloween themes.
Looking for some last-minute Halloween costume ideas to wear to work? I have lots of cute ideas.
A fascinating look at Beatrice Wood, the woman James Cameron modeled Rose Dewitt Bukater Calvert after in the movie "Titanic".