Happy Birthday! - a "Cameo" Homemade card easily made with your Cricut machine
A Simple Idea
It is a very special friend's birthday and the card I wanted to create needed to be on the classy side with quiet but cheerful colors. I think I found the perfect colors, patterns, and shapes for this Old Fashioned Cameo birthday card. The Cameo image is such a classic image and looks great as the focal point of this birthday card.
Happy Birthday with a Cricut
Cricut's Heritage cartridge
If you are looking for images from the past- One of the best Cricut cartridges to own for classic or old fashioned images is the Heritage cartridge. Every old fashioned shape for the home is included, such as an old telephone, wooden rocking horse, sewing machine, farm equipment, classic village buildings, and all forms of vehicles from tractors, horse and buggy, to cars and airplanes. If you are creating an old fashioned scrapbook page or card, this is the Cricut cartridge to own.
Cricut's Stamping cartridge
In addition to the Happy Birthday phrase I used, this cartridge includes many of the phrases used for greeting cards and scrapbook layouts. They include Dream, Happily Ever After, Grats, Thinking of You, Hello - to name just a few.
The reason I like using the Stamping cartridge for my Happy Birthday phrase is the wider font shapes of the letters- making even a smaller sized shape easy to cut.
As usual I use the Flip button and turn the cardstock over for the cutout. The finished shape comes out much better.
Here's what you need
Cricut Cartridge: Heritage
Cricut Cartridge: Stamping
Cricut Cartridge: Don Juan (used to create a customized name on the inside of the card)
Adhesive: 2-Way glue pen works great (I use a Zig brand)
Cricut Machine Blade Depth: #4 for Heavyweight cardstock, #3 for Lightweight cardstock
Cricut Machine speed: Medium
Cricut Machine Pressure: Max
Here You Go
1. I decided on a larger card because I am going to hand deliver it.
Cut a piece of cardstock measuring 11" x 8 1/2".
Fold the cardstock on the long side for a finished card measuring 5 1/2" x 8 1/2".
The soft brown cardstock is solid-core.
2. Using the Stamping cartridge:
- Cut 1 <HpyBday> measuring 2 1/2" using the Flip and Happy Birthday keyboard keys. I used a soft pink cardstock.
3. Cut 2 pieces of cardstock for the background pieces under the Happy Birthday phrase. One measuring 5 1/4" x 1 1/4" and the other measuring 4" x 1 1/4". I used the same soft brown cardstock.
4. Adhere the Happy and the Birthday phrases to the rectangular pieces of cardstock.
This card features 3 background pieces
5. Cut the largest background piece to measure 8 1/8" x 5 1/4"
6. Cut the middle background piece to measure 7 3/4" x 4 5/8"
7. Cut the smallest background piece to measure 5 1/4" x 3 1/4"
8. Using the Heritage Cricut cartridge, choose the Cameo shape:
- Cut 1 <cameo10> page 73, measuring 3", using the Flip, Shift, and desired Cameo keyboard key. This will cut out the top layer of the Cameo.
- Cut 1 <cameo10> page 73, measuring 3", using the Flip, Shadow, Shift, and desired Cameo keyboard key. This will cut out the bottom layer of the Cameo.
9. Adhere the top and bottom layers of the Cameo together.
10. If you desire to emboss the large background piece, do it now.
11. Adhere the large background piece to the base card.
12. Adhere the middle background piece to the base card.
13. Adhere the smallest background piece to the base card.
14. Adhere the Happy phrase to the top middle of the base card.
15. Adhere the Birthday phrase to the bottom middle of the base card.
16. Adhere the Cameo layers using the small adhesive foam squares. For the thinner areas, I cut the foam squares in half.
17. Optional: Using the Don Juan cartridge you can cut out the name of the birthday person. Each letter will be cut twice; once using the keyboard key and the second using the shadow key along with the keyboard key.
Adhere the letters together, then to the inside of the card along with your personal message.
Cricut Heritage Cartridge
More by this Author
It's almost time to give your mom or a special mom her Mother's Day card. Making her a Mother's Day card using a Cricut machine is easy and can be customized with colors and shapes she likes most.
Valentine's Day cards bring to mind the sweet colors of the holiday- the pinks, whites, creams, reds, purples, and on. Making a homemade / handmade greeting card is easy with a Cricut machine.
Don't buy Laundry Detergent, make your own! It is easy and only takes about 15 minutes to do. Costs pennies per load. The ingredients are pure with a wonderful smell-no perfumes/dyes.
No comments yet.