Happy Mothers Day Mothers
Mothers Day Fun Facts and Trivia
- The youngest mother is the world is believed to be Lina Medina from Lima Peru. She delivered a baby by cesarean section in 1939 at the grand old age of 5 years, 7 months. The baby was a 6 1/2 pound boy.
- The names of Chinese family often begin with a sign that means mother as a way of honoring their mother.
- There are 82.5 million mothers in America and 2 billion mothers in the world.
Elizabeth Ann Buttle is the mother who holds the record for the longest interval between the birth of two children. She gave birth to her daughter, Belinda, on May 19,1956 and and 41 years 185 days later she gave birth to her son, Joseph, on November 20, 1997. When Joseph was born his mother was sixty years old.
An average of 4.3 babies are born every second.
The odds of giving birth to twins is 32:1.
Mothers Day is the busiest day of the year for restaurants.
- The median age of a woman when giving birth to her first baby is 24 years 8 months old.
- In the Bible, Eve is known as being the 'Mother of All the Living."
- August is the most popular month to have a baby.
57 percent of 15-to-50 year old mothers of infants worked outside the home in 2006. There were 5.3 million stay-at-home moms and 140,000 stay-at-home dads in 2008.
There are more phone calls made on Mother's Day than any other day of the year.
- The official observance of Mother's Day in the United States came about due to the efforts of Anna Jarvis from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Because of her efforts President Woodrow Wilson signed the papers in 1914 making Mothers Day a national holiday.
81% of women 40 to 44 years old are mothers. In 1980, 90 percent of women in that age group were mothers.
For every 100 girls born there are 105 boys born.
Mother Quotes and Sayings
- Cleaning up with children around is like shoveling during a blizzard. - Author Unknown
- It's not easy being a mother. If it were easy, father's would do it. - from The Golden Girls
- Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible. - Marion C. Garretty
- You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you Can't Fool Mom. - Captain Penny
- Children are the anchors that hold a mother to life. - Sophocles
- Mothers are all slightly insane. - J.D. Salinger
- Most children threaten to run away from home. This is the only thing that keeps parents going. - Phyllis Diller
- God could not be everywhere so he created mothers. - Jewish Proverb
- The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world. - William Ross Wallace
- Any mother could perform the jobs of several air-traffic controllers with ease. - Lisa Alther
- A mother never realizes that her children are no longer children. - James Agee
- The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found. - Calvin Trillin
- There is only one pretty child in the world, and every mother has it. - Chinese Proverb
- The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. - Rajneesh
- Being a full-time other is one of the highest salaried jobs...since the payment is one of pure love. - Mildred B. Vermont
- I know how to do anything - I'm a mom. - Rosanne Barr
- Mothers of teenagers know why animals eat their young. - Unknown Author
- A mother understands what a child does not say. - Jewish Proverb
Things Every Mother Says
- I hope someday you have children just like you.
- If it were a snake it would have bitten you.
- How many times do I have to tell you NO?
- What part of NO don't you understand?
- I don't recall asking you.
- You'd forget your head if it wasn't attached.
- You'll understand when you get older.
- Over my dead body.
- I don't care whose mother is letting them do it. If they jumped off a bridge would you do it too?
- You could grow potatoes in those ears.
- I'm going to skin you alive.
- So what if it's raining. You won't melt.
- When I was a little girl...
- You made your bed now lie in it.
- I never said life would be easy (or fair).
- Answer me when I ask you a question.
- Money doesn't grow on trees.
- How many times do I have to tell you?
- This hurts me more than it hurts you.
- Why? Because I said so, that's why.
- Do you think we have a money tree growing in the back yard.
- I would never talk to my mother that way.
- You are getting on my last nerve.
- Do you think rules are made to be broken?
Gift Ideas For Mother
- A Day at the Spa Gift Certificate - give her a day of pampering. She can get a massage, a pedicure, a facial, her eyebrows done, or anything that makes her feel special.
- A Digital Frame - filled with pictures of the ones she loves.
- A Jar of Wishes - buy or decorate a decorative jar and fill with a wish or inspirational saying for each day of the year.
- A personalized poem by you matted and framed.
- A Photo Puzzle of you and your family. Not only will she have the pleasure of working the puzzle but also of looking at it when it is all put together.
- A Gift Basket filled with her favorite things. If she loves to read and drink a cup of tea; Include books by her favorite author, a couple of boxes of her favorite tea, some well loved snack, a small reading light and maybe a small lap cover to keep her warm on those chilly nights.
- A Personalized Calendar. What could be nicer than a mother seeing a different picture of the faces of her loved ones each and every month.
- For the more adventurous mother a Hot Air Balloon Ride or a Helicopter Ride would be an experience she would never forget.
- A Gift Certificate for a Make-over is always a nice gift.
- A Mothers ring or a Mother's bracelet. The bracelet comes with charms containing the name of her children and/or grandchildren.
- Unique Mothers Day Gifts Mom Will Love
Mother's Day is the one day a year mom gets real acknowledgement for all her hard work in the form of a gift to say thanks for everything she does. Here are some Unique mothers day gifts she that will make her smile.
- Not Flowers Again! - Alternative Mothers Day Gift Id...
Mother's Day is not the same day all over the world, and the actual date varies from year to year too, just to confuse things. In the United States, and a large number of other countries, Mothers Day is the...
- 7 Nice Things To Write Your Mom for Mothers Day
Mothers Day is coming up in just a few days. If you still havent gotten a gift for your mother then you may be panicking about what to give her. The truth of the matter is that no matter how old you...
- The Mother who Inspired Mother's Day and the Daughte...
Throughout history mothers have usually been honored and held in high esteem. As any research on the history of Mother's Day will show, examples of special days to honor mothers go all the way back to ancient...
More by this Author
Snowmen are one the favorite symbols of winter. They are cute and cuddly looking. Imagine your loved one's surprise when you present them with a plate of homemade snowman cookies.
St. Patrick's Day is a wonderful time of the year. It's the holiday when green beer is available and it's acceptable to see leprechauns.
Children are the most important thing in our lives. Watching them grow and learn is a unforgettable experience. In this article I have compiled a set of quotes, sayings, and proverbs that are sure to touch your heart...