20 Easy - Cheap DIY Christmas Gifts
Make Your Own Gifts Using Jars or Zip-Lock Bags
Forget waiting in long lines or looking for a place to park this holiday season. Make your own Christmas gifts. Most of these ideas can be made for the price of a cup of coffee.
From the time I was a little girl, my mother taught me how to make fun, inexpensive gifts. Here are a few ideas to help you get gift-organized for Christmas.
- Take baby food jars and apply cute stickers to the front. Three of these make a great gifts for storing cotton balls, bath salts and Q-Tips.
2. Paint "Honey Pot" on the front of a jar and fill it with organic honey. Tie a cute ribbon around the lid and make a festive bow.
3. Give your favorite recipe written on a cute card and include two or three of the ingredients. Example: Chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe - include one package of chocolate chips, one package of nut and several cups of oatmeal in a zip-lock bag. You can either fill a large jar with the ingredients of simply decorate the zip-lock bag, tying a ribbon to it.
4. Using a zip-lock bag or a jar, fill with several kinds of dry beans and include your favorite bean soup recipe written on a card.
5. Small mason jars filled with home-made soy candles are a big hit all year long.
6. Dried flowers placed on plain brown paper bags and framed are accepted by one-and-all.
Think outside-the-box and create a variety of DIY gifts during Christmas as well as other holidays and birthdays during the year. Make them well in advance and save yourself stress and expense. And while you're at it check out on-line tutorials for designing your own cards and gift tags.
Inexpensive And Unusual Christmas Gifts To Make
The combination of inexpensive and unusual gifts attracts folks at Christmastime. As you check out the suggestions below, be thinking about other items you can make that will put a smile on your budget's face.
7. Make Christmas ornaments out of different kinds of noodles, using Elmer's glue. This makes a cute gift and the entire family can get involved. What a fun project.
8. Here's a gift I made last year that was well received. Cover shoe boxes with wrapping paper, wallpaper, contact paper or even burlap or other scrapes of fabric. Use this as a gift box.
Next, fill with stationary items-glue stick, small scissors, paper clips, marking pens, memo pad, and thank-you notes. I use Easter Basket or Birthday filling which saves time wrapping each gift. Andy teacher, grandparent,mom or dad would love such a gift.
9. Here's another idea I used one Christmas to give to my brother. Cover a box with regular road maps (old ones work fine.) Fill the box with updated road maps, a fist-aid kit, a favorite music CD, jumper cables, flares or any kind of item associated with travel and/or the car.
Simple, Cheap, Easy To Do Gift
Make Great Gifts With Baskets
I really enjoy making gifts with baskets. They can be filled with virtually anything. When you're through filling a basket, wrap the complete basket with cellophane or cling. Add a pretty bow and gift tag and this fun-making gift basket is ready to go.
Here are some suggestions for filling the basket. You're only as limited as your imagination.
10. Bath - soaps, shower cap, bubble bath, bath salts, bath oil and a loofla or washcloth.
11. Reading - a book for each family member and bookmarks. If for one person, add a book-light. Book marks are easy to make on your computer. Just design, print, cut and there you have it.
12. Kitchen - wooden spoons, measuring cups, can opener,oven mitt, sponges.
13. Toys - games, books, teddy bear, dolls, truck, puzzles and action figures.
14. Gardening - seeds, garden tools, gloves, pruners/clippers, hand shovel, bug spray.
15. Sewing - measuring tape, scissors, pins, buttons. elastic lace, ribbon and tape.
16. Laundry - bleach, laundry soap, fabric softener, spot remover and small spot brush.
17. For men - car wax, chamois, Armor-all, trash bags, litter bag for car. Or a razor, shaving creme, after-shave and include extra blades.
Suggested Fillers For Gift Boxes
There are several choices to use for the filler:
Easter basket filling in different colors.
Shredded paper (I save brown paper bags, cut them to feed through the shredder.)
Food Items Make Wonderful Gifts
Use resources that are in your area and available to you. Here are some ideas:
18. Popcorn - Plain or seasoned everyone liked popcorn. Drizzle caramel syrup over popcorn for a delicious treat.
19. Breads - banana, ,succhini or cinnamon-raisen are all winners.
20. Nuts - almonds, walnuts, cashews, pistachios and peanuts make a healthy treat.
Additional Food Items For Gift Giving
Pure natural maple syrup
Fruits - In season
Baskets of natural foods such as granola mix raisins, three-to-seven-grain ceral mix
Ideas For Stuffing Christmas Stockings
Bonus: A List of Suggested Stocking Stuffers For Kids And Teens
- Small teddy bears
- Paint sets and brushes
- Colored pens or pencils
- Art paper for projects
- Puzzles, books, small Bible
- Subscription to a magazine
- Headbands or other hair items
- Music CD
- Theater tickets
- Nuts and fruits
- Curling Iron
- Hand lotion
- Gift certificate
- Small kitchen items for the young chef
- Hobby items
- Measuring tape
- Kitchen towel
- Golf balls
Cute Ideas for Gifts
Many of these gifts can be prepared far ahead of time so that you will be able to relax and enjoy the holidays. Organization of gifts is one of the keys to a stress-free Christmas.
Plan and prepare ahead for a pleasant, organized holiday. And because Christmas is a loving and giving time, take time to love. Share the true meaning of the holidays with friends, family and loved ones.
Remember to send a card or pay a visit to a shut-in. Sing a song at a convalescent home. Enjoy living the true meaning of Christmas.
Where It Began ~
Do You Like To Receive Home Made Gifts?See results without voting
© 2013 Audrey Hunt
More by this Author
Turn your hobbies and talents into great gifts. A personal touch sends a powerful message of love while providing a fun experience during the process of making the gift. The cost is next-to-nothing.
A Christmas Tree adds beauty to any room. I have three trees in my home. One in the living room, music room and outside. Featured here are some of the best christmas trees on line. Shop now.
I hate my voice! If you're one of the many people who feel this way, you've come to the right place because you're about to learn why you hate your voice and how to fix it.