Celebrate Father's Day with 10 Special Activities
It is a wise father that knows his own child.— William Shakespeare
Happy Father's Day Card
Father's Day Brief History
- Father's Day is a day of the year where children all over the world whether young or adults, celebrate this day to honor fathers, father-to-be, paternal bonds and acknowledging the head of the family.
- Children appreciate father for his undying love, contribution to the family and his sacrifices.
- Father's Day was first suggested on June 19, in the year of 1910 by a lady, a church member by the name of Sonova Smart Dodd of Spokane who lived in Washington.
- Sonova felt strongly that fatherhood needed recognition too, as much as motherhood.
- She wanted a celebration that honored fathers like her own father, who single-handed raised his family alone after his wife ( Sonova's mother) passed away during child delivery of their sixth child.
- Sonova brought up the idea of Father's Day to the Spokane YMCA who helped to spread the word of this celebration in 1910.
- Members of the YMCA went to church wearing red roses to honor living fathers and white roses for deceased fathers.
- However, it took many years to make Father's Day an official holiday because most people make fun of this celebration and used this opportunity to make money in with instead.
A beautiful sight
Do you celebrate Father's Day with your dad every year?See results without voting
How do you celebrate Father's Day?
Father's Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of June is most countries and other days elsewhere.
Father's Day usually involves giving presents either handmade or bought from shopping centres.
Handmade gifts saves money and you don't have worry whether your dad likes it or not because it is the thoughts that counts.
My dad always say, " Don't waste money. Keep it for yourself. You need it more than I do."
#1 - Father's Day Bookmaark
Handmade gifts are simple and easy to do.
Some of the common gifts are Father's Day cards, Father's Day Quotes on a bookmark and bake your dad's favorite cookies or cake.
If your dad is a simple man who doesn't go for branded stuff, go ahead, try my suggestions. Making cards and bookmarks don't take much time.
Furthermore, use all those left-overs papers and strings if you can't find any ribbons in your house.
Don't waste money on buying unnecessarily stationary.
#2- Bake biscuits or cookies
- Baking with family members can be fun and show lots of teamwork.
- Put in your best effort in baking dad's favorite cookies or cake.
- Many recipes can be found in websites or recipe books.
- Choose those recipe which requires less ingredients and baking time.
- Otherwise, your Father's day cookies or cake won't be ready by the time dad comes back from work.
- Decorate with nice plastic wrapper with ribbons to bring out the uniqueness.
# 3 - Buy What Dad Needs
- For those of you who prefer to use cash to buy presents, choose those gifts which your dad needed most or frequently uses.
- Refrain from purchasing unrealistic gifts. Otherwise, your dad will put aside your gift on the table or shelves and helps to accumulate more dust or cobwebs!
- Spend some time asking your mom for some tips what dad likes or loves. I am sure mom knows dad best.
- Go window shopping with mom but without your dad's knowledge. Otherwise your surprise gift will be meaningless.
- If you are tight on budget, ask your siblings to chip in so that you guys could buy a better quality or an expensive gift for dad. Of course, don't use your dad's supplementary credit card for purchases. It burnt a big hole in his pocket!
#4- Father's Day Video Recording
- If your dad is an outgoing and fun loving type of man, why not make a video recording of your family on this special day.
- You can also secretly video record dad running his daily tasks at home, waking up, getting ready for work, having breakfast and dinner together and what he did after dinner.
- You can ask dad some questions while recording which would add in some jokes into the video.
- Remember to set the date and time in the video and burn into DVD so that dad can watch this special Father's Day video when he feels lonely.
# 5 - Potluck Dinner
- Some dads prefer special dinners or family gathering especially those children who are all grown up staying out-station or other districts, married and have their own family living elsewhere.
- Family gathering is what dad needed most, in order to keep up the family warmth, bonds, catching up what's going on between each family members, activities and remembering family ties.
- If your dad prefers to have dinner at home, he is trying to save his children s' money, able to talk comfortably and freely.
- Each member of the family has to bring a potluck, that is to bring a dish from home.
- It is better to discuss together what to bring rather than having same dishes on the dining table!
# 6 - Go Fishing with Dad
- My Dad loves to go fishing on weekends when we were young.
- He used to forked out money to but the fishing rods, accessories and worms, brought along the buckets and newspapers for for eat not reading !
- The seaside wasn't that clean, so we had to place old newspaper below our bums, wear a cap to avoid the scorching sun.
- Dad taught us how to hook up the bait and told us to wait patiently for the fish to eat the worm while we chatted anything under the sun.
- Dad loved fishing very much and so did we!
#7 - Looking at old photos
- Every year, we look over the old photos that we had taken with dad since baby to adulthood.
- Dad loved to talk about the past memories, some sweet events and some sad ones.
- There are a lot of deep hidden secrets that you may not know until dad tells you when he felt the need to let you know.
- The people you had forgotten or do not know, dad knew them all by heart.
- It was great walking down the memory lane with dad.
#8 - Watch the sunrise or sunset
- A perfect dad to watch the sunrise or sunset with dad.
- If you are an early bird , you can stay with dad to watch the sunrise and watched the beautiful scene.
- Talk about anything that he feels comfortable.
- My dad wakes up very early. So, we had beautiful chats while drinking coffee and toasted bread .
- Watching the sunrise was an awesome experience.
#9 - Father's Day Card
- Nothing beats a handmade Father's Day card!
- Although store bought cards may be fancy and affordable, I would rather make my own Father's Day card for my special dad.
- Dad loves to receive different handmade cards from me every year.
- He kept them all in his drawer. As he had mentioned not to spend money on gifts, this happened to be a perfect gift for him.
#10- Give dad a BIG hug!
I think my mom put it best. She said, 'Little girls soften their daddy's hearts.'— Paul Walker
Handmade Card for daddy
No matter how you celebrate this special event with your dad, I am sure he will be extremely happy that his existence is still important in your life.
He will be touched.
A good HUG is still best !!
More hubs written by @peachpurple
- Celebrate Father's Day with 10 Special Activities
Fathers are simple men with not much request. Celebrate Father's Day with special activities to enhance the bonding with your dad , cheap and convenient
- Father's Day Gift: Handmade Bookmark
I love handmade gifts. Making them are easy especially when you use all the left over materials in hand. Recycle the papers, wrappers and old buttons are the best method. This handmade bookmark requires ribbon, color papers and markers. I am sure you
- How to make a Happy Father's Day Embossed Card
Learn to make a simple Embossed Happy Father's Day Card by recycling papers, embossed the handmade card with card box or hard card and simple words "DAD" to make your dad happy. Embossing is easy !
© 2011 peachy
More by this Author
Give a special card to your dad on this Father's Day. Make your own Pop Up father's Day card with your favorite Father's Day quote in your card. With your handwritten message and card, I am sure your dad will be touch...
I love handmade gifts. Making them are easy especially when you use all the left over materials in hand. Recycle the papers, wrappers and old buttons are the best method. This handmade bookmark requires ribbon, color...
Toddlers and kids love to imitate other kids and parents behaviors. Repeating and mimicking everything is their learning ability, curiosity to learn evrything they want to know