Greeting Card Messages: Examples of What to Write
Anyone can end up staring at the blank space inside a card and wondering what to write. This is true even for those who usually have no problem expressing themselves. You don't have to underline the words already printed in the card to stress the generic message. You can write something thoughtful. If you're unsure about what to write, you're in the right place.
This is a directory to help you write in any kind of message. Below, you will find many examples that will help you write in greeting cards. If you need even more examples, helpful links are included. This resource is here for you when you need a little help, so make sure you bookmark this page.
So just scroll down, select the kind of card you're trying to write, and find the resource specific to you.
- We're excited to be able to congratulate you on another anniversary.
- I'm grateful to have been able to be with you so long. And I am looking forward to more anniversaries with you.
- Once a year doesn't seem often enough to celebrate what we have together!
- I love you more with each passing year!
- Thank you for another amazing year. I'm looking forward to the next being even better!
- Happy anniversary! Wishing you more great years together.
- I feel blessed to have you in my life. Anniversaries remind me of what I sometimes take for granted. Thank you and happy anniversary.
- I am really looking forward to meeting your new baby. Let me know if there's anything you need help with during your pregnancy or when the baby arrives. I'd love to help.
- Great things come in small packages.
- When someone like you has a baby, it's exciting to know the child will have a great parent.
- Being a grandparent is just like being a parent, only it's grand!
- Let me know if you want a babysitter. I'm available.
- Congratulations on your newest development. You guys are very creative.
- Nothing makes a birthday more special than when it is a celebration of a special person like you.
- Too bad birthdays aren't good for you, then we could all just eat cake all the time.
- You look young for your age... the Jurassic age, that is.
- Now you are getting old enough that I can get you to help me set up your own birthday party. Thanks to your poor memory, it'll still be a surprise!
- I hope your birthday is filled with fun and celebration. You are an amazing person. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday! Your life has been a blessing to those who know you.
- Congratulations! No one deserves this more than you.
- I love being able to say congratulations to deserving people like you. You have given me many opportunities to congratulate you in your many accomplishments and successes.
- You keep amazing me even when I think I've seen everything.
- I knew you had it in you. I've been looking forward to saying congratulations.
- Nobody likes being sick. But when you are sick, there are several people who are miserable because they depend on you and like you. Get better soon!
- I am praying for you to have a fast and full recovery. Get well soon!
- Even though my request from you is for you to get better, it's not an option. It's a mandatory requirement.
- I'm praying for you to have a fast recovery, and I'm looking forward to hanging out with you soon!
- I want to get in a time machine and go to the past or the future when you are not sick.
- May your newly earned diploma be the key that unlocks your heart's desires.
- All of your sacrifices and hard work have finally paid off. Let's hope your degree continues to pay off in the future. Congratulations, graduate.
- We are confident that you will be successful in wherever you find yourself in the future.
- Congratulations on your graduation! Now you are prepared to go out into the real world and apply your knowledge. You'll be great at getting things done at the last minute.
- Enjoy the festivities of the season!
- I'm glad to be able to wish you and my other friends a wonderful holiday!
- Stay warm on the inside even as it's getting colder outside.
- May your hearts be filled with the gift of joy this holiday season.
- May the Lord shine his love down on you and those you love this Christmas.
- I'm wishing you a cheerful holiday season!
- Christmas Card Messages: What to Write in a Christma...
These examples of Christmas card wishes will give you ideas to make your holiday card extra special. Modify these Christmas messages for your custom card.
- Easter Wishes - Messages and Sayings to Write in a C...
Examples of what to write in an Easter card. These include messages, wishes, and sayings for Easter cards. Tips on how to write an Easter card message.
- Father's Day Card Messages: What to Write in a Card ...
Examples of father's day messages to write in a father's day card. Use these for your dad. Also includes helpful links and inspiration.
- Happy Halloween Wishes, Messages, and Quotes
These are Halloween wishes for you to send a Halloween card or text message. Halloween is a great time to be funny.
- Holiday Card Messages - - Christmas and New Years Gr...
These are examples of what to write in a Christmas or New Years card. Send a sincere or a funny holiday greeting card message with these ideas.
- Mother's Day Card Messages: What to Write in a Mothe...
These are examples of what to write in your mom's Mother's Day or Mothering Day card. Also included are directions and ideas for how to write a good Mother's Day wish.
- Thanksgiving Card Messages: What to Write in a Card
These are examples of messages to write in a Thanksgiving card. Use these messages and quotes to wish someone a happy holiday!
- I feel terrible about my actions. I was totally wrong, and I'm sorry.
- I can only hope that you are able to find it in your heart to forgive me. I understand if you aren't ready to trust me yet.
- Now that I am looking back on my own decisions and behavior, I am filled with regret for how I have hurt you. Please accept my apology, even though I don't deserve it.
- I would rather eat broken glass than have the awful feeling I have now because of hurting you. I am truly sorry.
- Keep working hard like you always have, and your retirement will be sure to be much like your working days. You'll be active, you'll use your creativity, and you'll keep making a difference for those around you.
- Happy retirement! I hope you get to do all the things that you weren't able to do while you were working.
- It's time to rest for the rest of your life!
- I know that you are 'retiring' today, but I think you must have unofficially retired years ago. I haven't really seen you work for a very long time.
- Time to start working harder at not working.
- I'm sorry to be writing this condolence to you and your family. You lost a special person. I admired _______.
- You are loved. Don't forget that. I'm just a phone call away.
- I plan on checking in with you a little more often than usual over the coming weeks. Let me know if you need to talk or hang out.
- May we all continue to be inspired by a life well lived that will continue to live in our memories.
- I am sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers in the days ahead. Please accept my condolences.
- Even though you give me great gifts, you are an even greater gift in my life.
- You may not know how much of a lifesaver you have been. Thanks for great timing and generosity.
- Thank you for knowing exactly what I needed. You are such a thoughtful and great friend.
- Only someone who knows me as well as you do could get me such a great gift. I love your creativity and appreciate your thoughtfulness.
- I appreciate your willingness to help me when I needed help. You have been a great support in my life recently and are one of the most generous people I have ever met. Thank you!
- Thank you for the new sweater. I couldn't have picked a better sweater myself. I am looking forward to using it to stay warm this winter.
Thinking of You
- It has been a long time since we've talked. I wanted to reach out and let you know I've been thinking about you.
- You have been busy running through my mind, and I thought you should know.
- I know exactly where you have been lately. You've been in my thoughts.
- I don't know everything that is going on with you, but I've been thinking about you a lot lately.
- I just want you to know that you are often in my thoughts, and I have been saying a little prayer for you each time I think of you.
- It's my favorite day to spoil my favorite person!
- I'm glad you're mine and I'm yours. I'm very lucky!
- Thanks for giving me an excuse to be cheesy and romantic on Valentine's Day. I enjoy showing you my love, as I know you also love showing me your love.
- I love you even more than Hallmark loves Valentine's Day.
- You are still the most beautiful Valentine I could imagine.
- You guys are a great couple, but I can't say that anymore. Now that you are united as one in marriage, I can only say congratulations!
- I'm really excited to be able to say congratulations to 'Mr. and Mrs. _____.
- Congratulations to you two. Wishing you a life together filled with happiness and companionship.
- What could be better than a beautiful couple of people getting married? I'm so happy for you!
- I am glad to see you two so happy. Remember this day!
Suggestions for Writing a Message
These are a few steps you can take to write a great card message.
- Take into account who you are writing for. The first step in knowing what to write in a greeting card is knowing who you are writing to. Ask yourself what likes and dislikes he or she has. Would this person like a funny message?
- Use a list of words that are common for your card. Brainstorm common words that you know are usually in the type of greeting card wishes that you want to write. For example, some of the words in a sympathy card might include: loss, remember, peace, sorrow, strength, sorry, understand, hope, cherish, love, and pray.
- Take your list of greeting card words and put them together for your message. An example from the word list above might be: "I am sorry for your loss, and I pray that you will have peace and strength through this time of sorrow."
- Read through your greeting to make sure it is good. Sometimes when you first write your message, it will not sound sincere. Other times it may sound unclear. One read-over can help you get it right.
How to Write Something Funny
The best tool for writing a funny message in someone's greeting card is to use familiarity. Think of something you know that the receiving person is familiar with. Use that topic, information, or situation, to make up something funny. This is going to take some creativity on your part, but it communicates to the other person that you thought about your message. It will also give them something to show off all day. "You have to see what my son wrote in my birthday card."
Most greeting cards use stereotyping to attempt to be funny. For example, I went to choose a Father's Day card and quickly realized that Dad's are stereotyped as being drunk, sport-fanatical handymen who are whipped by their wives. I didn't think they were all that funny, but maybe that's because I don't have that view. The point is, to be really funny, think of an inside joke that you and the receiver would both understand.
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE7
These are more than 90 examples of things to write in a birthday card. Let these birthday messages, wishes, and quotes help you figure out what to write. Some are funny and others sincere.
Words have the power to tear down or build people up. Use these words of encouragement to help someone who needs a little inspiration. These are encouraging quotes.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE4
Use these thank you card messages to help you with wording for your card. Expressing your gratitude and saying thanks can be difficult. Edit these to fit your situation.
No comments yet.