How to Make 3-D Dimensional Holiday Cards
It's fun to make your own Christmas cards, especially when they're as easy as these. And they don't have to cost a lot, even though the final effect is quite elegant. The ease of this project is due to inexpensive 3-D stickers featuring contemporary or vintage Christmas images that you can get from a variety of sources. But don't tell your friends who are going to receive the cards; they're going to think you're an artistic genius.
Here's what you need to make your own custom 3-D cards:
This is sold with matching envelopes in packs of 10 or 12, or in boxes with larger quantities. You can use any size, but make sure your stickers look in proportion. And if you're going to mail the cards, make sure the size complies with U.S. Postal Service regulations. Although you can use shades of white or cream, your cards will be more distinctive if you use stronger colors and/or a background design.
Christmas Dimensional Stickers from Amazon
>> Make Money on HubPages <<
You'll want to make sure you get 3-D stickers for these cards. The effect would be lost if you used flat stickers. Christmas and Hanukkah stickers are available in the right column of this page and also at art supply stores, variety stores (such as Target), dollar stores or online.
Rubber stamps with holiday messages and rubber stamp pad or ink (optional)
There are a variety of pre-made stamps with holiday messages, or you could use a rotary stamp with letters that move so you can create your own message.
Bubble wrap for mailing (optional)
1. Make sure the card stock is evenly folded. If not, refold it and crease it with your fingernail. If that looks sloppy, however, don't use that card and move onto another one.
2. If you want to imprint a message inside the card, do so now, before you apply stickers. It looks best to center your message from side to side, and slightly above center from top to bottom. You can use a ruler to make sure the distance from the edge on each side is the same. There may be times, however, when it might look better for the sticker to be slightly off-center, either from side to side or top to bottom. Let your eye be the guide if that's the case.
3. Select a sticker or a combination of stickers that look good together. If a sticker is small, consider pairing it with one or two more to create a design. Like the message inside, the sticker or sticker combination should sit centered from side to side, and slightly above center from top to bottom. If you want to include a stamped message under the stickers, be sure to allow room. Most stickers already have adhesive on them, so you won't need glue. Be careful when you place the stickers; if you lay them down gently, you'll be able to rearrange them until you get them into just the right spot. Once they're where you want them, press hard to make sure they stay in place. If the sticker or combination of stickers isn't secure, use a toothpick to carefully apply a drop or two of glue underneath to make sure everything stays put.
4. If you're going to mail your cards, you'll probably want to protect them with bubble wrap. Repeat for each card: Cut a piece of bubble wrap slightly smaller than your card, place it on top of the card and slide both pieces carefully into the envelope. This will ensure your card arrives looking as good as when you created it! For extra flair, use a colorful flat sticker on the back of the envelope to seal it.
Want more Christmas ideas?
My Free Clip Art Sourcebook has links to thousands of free clip art, scrapbook, craft and invitation images. There's no registration needed and every image is free!
Other WordPlay Holiday Hubs
- Free Personalized Santa Letters
- Free Christmas Images
- Free Vintage Christmas Images
- Free Printable Christmas Invitations
- Free Winter and Christmas Scrapbook Paper
- Free Vintage Christmas Gift Tags
- Free Christmas Activities, Puzzles and Crafts for Kids
- Free Vintage Santa Graphics
- Free Floral Vintage Christmas Cards
- Free Vintage Christmas Angel Cards
More by this Author
These colorful free printable birthday cupcake toppers come in two shapes and can easily be printed and made at home.
This collection of free Christmas clipart images includes Christmas trees, wreaths, ornaments, presents, stockings, candy canes, Christmas-dated postal stamps, borders, and more!
It's so easy to give a child the magical gift of a personalized Santa letter. Just copy the text for one of the Santa letters on this page, fill in the blanks, download one of many Christmas-themed Santa letter designs...