How to Throw a 1960s Theme Party
What's more fun than throwing a party? Throwing a party that is 60s-themed! The 1960s was a transitional decade, full of changes and excitement. From hippies to modmen and everything in between, the 1960s saw a lot of bold, various styles of fashion and music emerge from the shadows of the '50s.
Check out these ideas for a 1960s themed party, including ideas for decorations, food, costumes, and more! Whether you're going for a hippie style or mod style 60s party, you'll find some great ideas here.
60s Themed Decorations
If you're going for a hippie-style 60s theme party, finding decorations and supplies for your party is going to be a cinch. Think tie-dye, peace signs, and bright whacky colors and you'll be in that groovy mindset! Did you live through the 60s? Use your memories as inspiration for your 60s party décor. If you didn't live through the 60s or can't quite remember (as is the case for many of you who lived through this decade), here are some quick and easy ideas where you can start:
For a Hippie 60s Themed Party:
- tie-dye wall decals and tablecloths
- peace sign plates, cups, napkins, and utensils
- photos or posters of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, the Beatles, and other famous 60s musicians/bands
- lava lamps
- big yellow smiley-faces, peace signs, trippy looking decorations
- VW Econoline Hippie Van stand-up or centerpieces for the tables
- replace your light bulbs with groovy colored bulbs
- give love beads and flowers to all of your guests to wear
For a Mod 60s Themed Party:
- multicolored balloons (yellow, red, blue, and orange as in the picture above)
- simple mod-style party decorations (you can even go vintage if you have the money to spend and the time to collect!)
- crystal or sparkly chandeliers
- champagne flutes (if you don't want to do champagne, don't forget the punch bowl and matching cups)
- pop art posters on the walls
- british flags
- chinese lanterns
- you could even go space age with moons, rockets, and stars
If all else fails, watch Austin Powers and get inspired! Yeah, baby!
- How to Throw a 1950s Theme Party
So why not throw a 1950s theme party for yourself or a loved one? Use the 1950s theme for a birthday party, anniversary party, graduation party, Halloween party, or just for the heck of it. Check this article out for hip tips on 1950s theme party dec
- How to Throw a 1940s Themed Party
If you're throwing a 1940s themed party for a birthday, anniversary, etc., you've come to the right place. Let's talk about decorations, costumes, and food for a rockin' 1940s party.
60s Themed Food and Drinks
For your 60s themed party, food and drinks is an absolute must. Depending on which specific 60s theme you're going with, your choice of food and drinks can revolve around that.
For instance, if you're going with a hippie theme 60s party, you could make brownies and call them "magical brownies". Hippies also usually love greens, so various salads will be perfect party food and you could include a large fruit bowl and fruit punch. Get creative and put peace signs on cupcakes, smiley faces on potatoes, etc.
If you're going with a more mod 60s themed party, food and drinks can be a little bit classier. Skim through recipes from the 60s online, or borrow some vintage cookbooks from your local library or grandma! Create a beautifully mod buffet with 60s finger foods and cocktails. Some of your finger foods could include: cheese and fruit on toothpicks, nuts of various kinds, tomatoes, radishes, olives, lunch meats, cocktail sausages, shrimp cocktail, and quiche lorraine. As for the cocktails, go with basic beer and wine but you can also include cognac, martinis, etc.
60s Desserts Ideas:
Strawberry parfait ring
Angel food cake
1960s Theme Party Costumes
Everyone's favorite part of a party is the costumes! So here are some ideas for your 60s themed party costumes for both men and women.
For the Ladies:
- hippie costumes can be found online for reasonable prices, or you can put a hippie costume together by gathering a pair of bell bottoms, a brightly colored shirt with a fringed vest over-top, headbands and crazy big sunglasses (check local thrift and consignment shops for vintage or retro-like pieces)
- if you want to go for a classier feel, search modcloth.com for a 60s mod dress or go to pinupgirlclothing.com, check out ebay, rustyzipper, and etsy for authentic vintage mod dresses
For the Gentlemen:
- go for a mad men look complete with suit and tie and hat by searching for vintage suits at thrift shops or you can find a mad men costume online
- if you want to go for the hippie look, search nearby thrift and vintage shops for bell bottoms, old rock band t-shirts, fringed vests, headbands, and sunglasses (don't forget the platform shoes!)
If all else fails, grab a long-haired wig from your local costume shop and slap on a ratty t-shirt and holy jeans...INSTANT HIPPIE!
Hop on the Hippie Bus!
© 2013 Author Nicole Canfield
More by this Author
Are you ready for the future of partying? Learn how to throw a blast of a futuristic cosmic party with tips on food, costumes, decorations, music and more!
Looking for tips on throwing an amazing 70s themed birthday or halloween party? Look no further! Find ideas for 70s themed party food, decorations, costumes, invitations, music, and more right here!
Learn how to look at birds as omens and how to listen to the messages they bring to us.