Organizing a Class Reunion
How to organize a Class Reunion
Organizing a reunion takes at least a year however here are a few suggestions to get you started.
1. Join www.classmates.com and www.reunion.commost of your fellow classmates are listed on one of the two websites. Let them know that you are scheduling the reunion event and have them contact you. Once you post the event you will may get a multitude of responses as each party will ask you how they can get involved. Classmates.com also provides you with creative ideas for the big event.
2. Contact www.reunions.comI utilized there services and it did not cost me a dime as there services are paid through the reunions planned dinner etc. They also create some of your banners and provide you with a free-list of your former classmates with last known residence and telephone numbers, however if you do not choose them there are many other planners that can offer you the same similar quality service.
3. Tentatively figure out what month and day as taking a poll on one of the reunion sites may be best, or once you decide on which company you may go with ask them what dates are available to set the reunion on they will provide you with a list of available dates and you can choose what will be best for the class.
4. Form a group/team formerly from your class as they will be able to assist you with making contacts, offering suggestions and ideas and creating a wonderful class reunion.
Creative Reunion Ideas
Although there are so many different ideas and budgets our reunion consisted of several days and over 300 classmates attended out of 500 that was in our graduating class, it was a memorable one and I was glad that I was able to make it happen and of course without my team it could not have all been possible as there is so much to do.
1. Football Night: We contacted our High School and asked them what events at the school had been scheduled for that time of year. Of course it was football and we notifed them the date we would all be in attendance. On the evening of the event our High School announced which graduating class we were and that we were all in attendance for the first game of the season our classmates brought there families to cheer on our school and amazingly they won the game.
2. Formal dinner /informal dinner: This is a very nice get together as one of the reunion companies will assist you with booking the facility in your area ,creating the dinner offer great suggestions for creating a nice atmosphere. Most planning companies also include a DJ , closed or open bar however you have to normally pay for the drinks.
3. Picnic: They are always fun as all classmates can bring there families and you can also make it a bring your own dish. This is a great time for all to get together to exhange numbers,addresses, memories and just hang out like the good old days. Keep in mind parks are really booked and you always have to have an appr. count of attendance as they also have a limit of people in a park and they area you may choose may already be taken.
3. Games: We had a then and now board this is where we had our classmates try to figure out who was who on a piece of paper ,first and last name of course and then they placed there answers into a raffle box, the closest party who could match the exact names and faces won a prize.
Regular raffle is also fun as they can purchase 1-3 tickets and all the money collected by the raffle you are able to tip your bartenders,DJ or Band for there services. Many times a reunion company will donate the prize and or your school.
Tributes: We chose to honor and recognize our military and had them stand and thanked them and we also had a moment of silence for our classmates that were no longer with us, which included accidents,shootings,military,or any other situation as after all they were also our buddies when we were in school.
Yearbooks: You are going to find that many classmates have misplaced,lost or never recieved there yearbooks you can contact your school and they may just have a few extras that you could give away and or www.ebay.com is also a great spot to find those old dusty goodies of yesteryear. We actually made copies of our yearbooks and placed them on the tables and we were amazed how many left with former classmates not a single picture was left at the end of the night.
Last but not least just have fun with planning,preparing and creating as when the big night comes regardless of what you do it will be a very memorable event and one that many classmates will not forget.
copyright © 2008
- Find a Friend - High School Military College Class Reunions
Find a friend or high school alumni from more than 40 million members in over 200,000 affiliations at Classmates.com. High School, Military or College - plan a reunion.
More by this Author
Love letters from famous people. A small list of some of our all time favorites. From Ludwig Von Beethoven to Ronnie Reagan himself. Love letters from the heart will get your creative juices flowing.
A Love Letter to My Mother are expressive words about a mom who battled cancer bravely. It was the last Valentine's Day gift that was given by her daughter.
The similarities and differences between the rise and fall of Rome Empire in 365 A.D. and the United States in the 21st Century? Are we parallel?