Christmas,Thanksgiving Dinner Alternatives
A Vegetarian Alternative
Our continuing obsession with turkey as a celebratory food fascinates me. In the United States there may be a historical legacy at Thanksgiving, but Christmas, no so much. People eat turkey because it is what their family has chosen for a meal for generations. perhaps, this year it is time to change this behaviour.
There are always alternatives. Turkey is the traditional Christmas dinnerbut that does not mean you have to serve one. There are both vegetarian and other food choices. Vegetarian lasagna is a personal favourite.
If you want meat then ham is an acceptable option; other fowl are goose and duck.
However, why be bound by others’ traditions. The season is not about turkey and consumption but about celebrating and spending time with friends and family.
You can make any meal that you wish as it is the sharing that matters.
This year I’ll be making and sharing a vegetarian meal, tofu lasagna. One of the recipes I use to make this dish follow:
1/2 lb. lasagna noodles 10 oz. frozen spinach
2 tbsp. olive oil 1 med. onion, chopped 1/2 lb. mushrooms 1 clove garlic, minced 1 lb. firm tofu, mashed 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese 2 tbsp. parsley, chopped 1/2 tsp. sea salt 1 tbsp. soy sauce 1/4 tsp. black pepper 3 c. tomato sauce 1/4 c. grated Mozzarella.
1. Cook lasagna noodles, drain, and set aside.
2. Boil frozen spinach for three minutes, remove and hen set aside.
3. Saute onion, mushrooms, and garlic in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Set aside.
4. In a bowl, mix together tofu, Parmesan cheese, eggs, parsley, sea salt, soy sauce, and black pepper.
5. Mix together the sautéed vegetables and tofu mixture.
6. Oil an 8x11 inch baking dish.
7. Place a row of noodles on the bottom. Build layers, alternating noodles, tofu mixture, tomato sauce, spinach, and grated cheese. The final layer should be sauce.
8. Cover the dish with aluminum foil; bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
9. Remove foil, bake another 10 minutes, and serve.
A green salad goes very well with this dish as does whole wheat dinner roils. If you do not like tofu and must have meat you can substitute lean ground beef for the tofu. It is essential to cook the beef first though before adding it to the dish.
Get beyond the turkey curtain and give a vegetarian alternative a try, you may actually enjoy it.
More by this Author
I am not talking about growing hydroponically which is an option but using natural light to keep your family supplied in some fresh produce all year round.
Breakfast is the day’s most important meal. It is also one of the easiest meals to prepare. Better yet, when your breakfast is scrambled eggs or an omelet, it can be lunch or supper as well. Eggs are versatile...
Healthy Eyes I began paying close attention to what I eat about 15 years ago, when I was first diagnosed as having Type II Diabetes.