Surviving The Holidays
Being Alone During the Holiday Season
Holidays are a time for family, friends and celebration we all scramble around in the hustle and bustle of the season and do not realize their are so many out there who will be spending the holidays alone. It maybe that they are stationed on the other side of the world and fighting a war, or they have relocated and are out of their environment. It could very well be that they do not have any family and certainly do not want to impose on their friends or they just went through a bad break-up or Divorce. Holidays are definitely not a time to be alone. Suicide attempts are higher during the season then any other time so it is important to embrace it if you are alone as it really isn't that bad after all.
My husband and I have been seperated more during the holidays due to his career then many could imagine and there were times when I let depression get the best of me, as for me the holidays were about family and friends. I would cry and couldn't wait for the day to end , Just like you, I have walked those empty corridors alone, desolate and not wanting anybody around not even friends. I created a survival guide for myself and have used it like clock work and believe me it certainly has gotten me through.
Survival 101 During the Holidays
You do not have to be alone for the holiday season and it is up to you if you want to embrace the season or be scrooge. We hope that you choose to be an Angel and share the holiday and enjoy it , in your own special way.
Here is my mini survival tips to use during the holiday season,
1. You have a free "Get out of Jail" card , go to the mall, an electronic store anywhere you want to shop and buy yourself gifts. Bring them home, and do not open until Easter. We realize it may sound a litle nuts but it certainly works.
2. The elderly need love to , many facilites across the country have nursing homes, rehabilitation centers and they are full of patients who do not have family, or their family has ignored them and they are dumped and forgotten. Volunteer to come and visit , help them write cards or do crafts, you will find that your heart will overflow with love and they will appreciate and hope that you continue to comeback.
3. If you have a homeless shelter or safe havens in your area contact them and see what you can do to assist over the holiday season.
4. Animal Shelters and veterinarian hospitals need volunteers to babysit those adorable pets, that have had surgery or are ill so how you can work with them to spread some of the hugs back to our furry little friends.
5. Attend church or a social gathering do something that you would not normaly do on a holiday.
6. Spread cheer to everyone and you will find that you as well, will feel so much better about the season and yourself.
It is the holiday that brings us down, it is what we do with it that makes it exciting.
Alone For The Holidays
Are you Alone for the Holidays???See results without voting
More by this Author
Reflection of thoughts from a writer's perspective and through her mother's eyes about each days passing and the problems that we face. What we should do to overcome our obstacles.
A Love Letter to My Mother are expressive words about a mom who battled cancer bravely. It was the last Valentine's Day gift that was given by her daughter.
Ovarian cysts can be painful and uncomfortable. What are cysts? What are the causes? What are the symptoms?...