My Grown Up Christmas List
We've all heard the song, the one where a grown up asks for only non-material items for the world. If you haven't heard it, a Google Search will quickly return many YouTube videos and lyrical sites for the song. Every time I hear the song by any artist, I get teary-eyed and think how much better the world would be if even just one of those things could happen. I heard the song this morning while I was sitting in my van waiting for the school bus and it made me think of all the things I would add to the list if I had the chance. Of course the original suggestions are great, but we can always use more good in the world, right? Some of my requests are a little more personal about my family, but since this is my list and they are things I truly want, I am going to include them.
Here is MY grown up Christmas List
- A more compassionate world. People can be so cruel and it scares me to see so little caring and compassion between men, women, and even children. If the world is this way now, how will it be when my children are grown up themselves? I want to know the world will be more compassionate for every child's sake.
- Good parents for every child. Too many children are mistreated, neglected, and hurt every day. Each child deserves at least one parent who would die to protect him or her. Every time I see a missing or hurt child, a piece of my heart dies. It doesn't have to happen, and it shouldn't.
- Excellent health for my parents. I know this one is unrealistic because as people age their health is going to deteriorate eventually. But I want my parents around forever and to be happy to be alive. That isn't to say they aren't healthy and happy, I simply worry about them.
- Financial security for everyone. I have heard so many sad stories lately about people losing their homes, older people losing retirement and having to work again, and young people having to work 2 or 3 jobs just to stay afloat. I would love to see everyone at least have their needs met.
- No more violence. People hurt each other every day and there is no need for it. There is no point in shooting someone because he slept with your wife or beating someone to death because they live differently than you. We need to embrace differences and appreciate them. The world would be so boring if we all were exactly the same.
- More time with my husband. OK, so this is one of the stingy requests. I would love to have more time with my husband. He works a lot and I feel as though he is never home. I enjoy my time I do get to spend with him and I would like more of it.
- A visit with my brother. He is in the Navy and has been gone from home for a little over 7 years. I have not met his youngest son and he has not met my two youngest daughters. I would love to have a small reunion so the kids can meet and I can make sure he is OK. I worry about my family endlessly and physically seeing my brother and his boys would make me feel better. I miss them like crazy, especially this time of year.
- The end of the war in Iraq. I want the war to end for many reasons, too many to write about. But I want everyone to come home safe and be with their families. One of my young coworkers (22) is leaving for Iraq right after Christmas and I want him to stay home with his Mom and Dad. My stepbrother and his new wife are leaving for Iraq in January and I want them to stay home and enjoy being married. Not to mention, my kids adore the two of them and I know they will miss them and worry about them, too.
Editor's Note: My stepbrother and his new wife are not leaving until March. I got the dates confused.
More by this Author
These are just a few of my favorite South Beach Diet-friendly smoothies. They make an excellent healthy treat!
One wouldn’t typically think his or her hair color would determine many aspects of his or her life. However, if you are born with red hair it is the norm.
Cats can become injured rather easily. The most common form of injury for a cat is a bite or scratch wound from a fight. Often these bites and scratches become infected causing an abscess to grow. It is very...