New Year Superstitions
Happy New Year!
- Do you have a personal superstition to share with us?At the stroke of twelve, on January 1, fireworks are let off, and everybody yells, "Happy New Year!" which is superstitiously super: it drives away all the evil spirits. Use it to drive away your personal demons too, you have held on to them too long!
- If possible, start the New Year with all your debts paid off, and your cupboards full: that will ensure wealth and fulfillment throughout the year. As an extension don't lend or borrow on the New Year. Give and accept gifts.
- Take note of whoever crosses your threshold first; that person will bring the kind of luck he or she stands for.
- Do a sample of the work you would like to have loads of, in the year. If you always wanted to write a novel, write a chapter.
- Wear a new dress to increase the possibility of getting lots of new clothes. Believe me, I did that by accident, and it worked in 2007!
- Ignore your sorrows and be of good cheer to set the trend for the coming year. Don't cry, don't get mad, spread peace and light!
- Traditionally, the head of the family should open the door at the first chimes of the clock, to let in the new and send out the old. My wife's the head; will ask her to! Janus, the god of January and of doorways will surely bless her!
- A baby born on Jan 1 will always be lucky. Sigh. You should have done something about this in March! But maybe not. A baby born on the 2nd will have a miserable life. It's a hit or miss situ!
- Kiss the person you want to rekiss throughout the year. Don't miss, or you will spend 2013 in love with the door or whatever!
- Dance in the open around a tree! Hold hands with neighbours for warmth now and ever!
- Plant something on Jan 1st and the world will regain its greenery. Made that up, but I hope that will become a superstition and everybody will do it!
Do you have a personal superstition to share with us? Then please do! Have a great New Year and make it your personal responsibility that everyone around you enjoys it too! Cheers!
More by this Author
Twenty years ago, a struggling actress attended a photoshoot with other models in a London Studio. The shoot was for reference pictures for The Illustrator's Figure Reference Manual, a collection to be used by artists...
First, let's look at the simplest way of doing it, to get you started. I'm not insulting your intelligence, only making it so simple that someone who hasn't worked in photoshop till now also can follow. So please be a...
Dali's paintings make a great intro to surrealism and modern art. Look at this one. If not for the cubes, Crucifixion (Corpus Hypercubus) would look, at first glance, like an old master's piece. Surrealism is the...