DIY Homemade Food Gift Recipes-Holidays Or Any Occasion
Homemade Instant Hot Chocolate Mix
- 1-16 ounces box Nestle Quick
- 1/2 to 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1-8-quart powdered milk
- 6 to 8 ounces coffee creamer powder
- Combine all ingredients in a large container, mix it well.
- To make a cup of hot chocolate, add 1/3 cup of the homemade Instant hot chocolate mix to a large cup; add 8 ounces of boiling water.
- This keeps indefinitely in an airtight container.
Tips For Gift Giving
- Use a coffee cup and place hot chocolate mix in a plastic bag with a label giving directions on how to use inside coffee cup.
- Also add to cup marshmallows, a couple of sticks of wrapped peppermint sticks and a red spoon.
- Wrap in cellophane paper and tie a pretty bow around the cup. You now have a great gift for any age.
- Use a Christmas tin for cocoa mix and add a label for directions.
- Use a decorative jar with directions, add bow and attach spoon and peppermint sticks.
- Use your imagination for packaging and see the look on the receiver face for this attractive gift.
Oreo Truffles Candy
Only three ingredients needed for these luscious truffles, cream cheese, Oreo cookies and semi-sweet chocolate. Let the kids help roll the truffles into balls. Great for a gift any time of the year, especially the holidays.
- 1-8 ounce package Cream Cheese, softened
- 1-15.5 ounce package Oreo Cookies, finely crushed (about 4-1/4 cups), divided
- 2-8 ounce packages Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted
- Using a gallon zip lock bag crush cookies with a rolling-pin.
- Mix cream cheese with 3 cups cookie crumbs; blend well.
- Shape mixture into 48 1-inch balls.
- Dip balls into melted chocolate; place on baking sheet covered with waxed paper.
- Sprinkle with remaining cookie crumbs.
- Refrigerate the truffles for 1 hour or until firm.
- Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator.
- To melt the chocolate, unwrapped chocolate squares in microwave bowl. Microwave on high for 2 1/2 minutes or until chocolate melts, stirring every 30 seconds.
- To coat truffles with the melted chocolate, work in batches by adding truffles to bowl of melted chocolate. Using two forks roll truffles in chocolate until evenly coated. Use the forks to remove truffles, letting excess chocolate drip back into bowl. Place truffles on wax paper; let stand until firm.
- You can use different coating such as white chocolate, milk chocolate, etc.
- Change the flavor of your truffles by using different Oreo cookies such as mint or peanut butter.
Nutty Caramel Corn Snack Mix
I love caramel corn, with any kind of nut! You can even add dried fruit if you like. If you do not like nuts, leave them out. Cellophane gift bags of caramel corn makes a great gift or take home favor for a Halloween Party.
- 3 quarts of popped popcorn
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 stick (½ cup) margarine or butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups unsalted nuts, pecans, almonds, peanuts, cashew, walnuts or mixed nuts are good. The nuts are optional.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You will need two large baking sheets, large glass bowl and rubber spatulas, spray all the items with non-sticking cooking spray.
- Pour popped popcorn in large bowl, make sure you get all the un-popped kernels out.
- If using nuts add and toss with popcorn.
- Combine margarine, brown sugar, salt and light corn syrup in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add baking soda and vanilla extract. The baking soda will cause the mixture to bubble. Pour over popcorn and nuts in the bowl, mix well like tossing a salad using two rubber spatulas.
- Divide this mixture among the two baking sheets.
- Bake one hour at 250 degrees Fahrenheit, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Store in airtight container.
Texas Trash Chex Snack Mix
You cannot go wrong with Chex mix, you keep getting another handful and another. It is addicting, this recipe makes a bunch. Great for food gift bags. You can mix and match as you like. Enjoy!
- 6 cups mixed Chex cereals (wheat, rice and corn) I put 2 cups each
- 1 cups pretzels sticks
- 1 cups cheerios
- 1 cup Chez-Its crackers
- 1 cups pecan halves
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more if you like
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large, I mean large bowl, mix cereals, pretzels, Cheerios, Chez-Its crackers, pecans and mixed nuts.
- Mix olive oil, garlic powder, and Cajun or creole seasoning; pour over mixture. Stir well to coat the mixture evenly.
- Transfer the mixture to a large baking pan, like a turkey roaster.
- Bake at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Keep Texas Trash in an air-tight container up to 3 days.
Muddy Buddies Chex Snack Mix
Some folks call this Puppy Chow, but I did not want you to think you fed this to your puppies! It’s for the humans, although my dogs would be begging for some. It is quick and easy to make
and all ages will love this delicious snack. Drizzle with caramel or chocolate sauce if you like. You could use any cereal you like and any flavor of baking chips.
- 1-6 ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup peanut butter, I like crunchy, use what you like
- 6 cups Crispix cereal or Chex cereal
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- Microwave chocolate chips in microwave dish,1 minutes. Stir and heat until melted. Stir in peanut butter.
- Gently stir in Crispix cereal until well coated.
- Coat with powdered sugar.
- You may use a paper bag or 2 gallon storage bags to do this.
- Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.
Makes 8 cups.
Cinnamon Amaretto Nut Mix
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- ½ cup granulated sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 1 cup unsalted whole almonds
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small saucepan; melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in ¼ cup of sugar and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly until sugar dissolves.
- Boil the sugar mixture 3 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Add amaretto liqueur; stir until blended.
- Stir in almonds.
- Spread mixture evenly on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake 5 to 8 minutes or until dark brown.
- Roll mixture in remaining sugar; transfer to aluminum foil to cool completely.
- Store in airtight container.
Make about 1 cup nut mix.
- A small clear glass jar with a flat lid makes a great container for a gift.
- Use your on imagination for containers and decorations.
- Include the recipe with your gift.
Caramel Popcorn Balls
When I was a kid, my mom made popcorn balls all the time. They were chewy and delicious with added nuts, candy or whatever she could think up.
In days gone by, you could give them to your trick or treaters for a treat, but those days are no more.
Experiment around and find out what your favorite add-ins are. You could use popcorn ball for any holiday or party by adding different candies for different holidays.
- 16-24 (4-6 quarts) cups popped pop corn (be sure and removed un-popped kernels)
- 1-14 ounce sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup white corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Okay now we are ready to start making these yummy popcorn balls.
- Pour popped pop corn in a large bowl that will be easy to mix in.
- Combine butter, corn syrup and sugar in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Add sweetened condensed milk; return to a boil. Boil five minutes.
- Remove from heat; add vanilla extract and stir.
- Pour hot mixture over popcorn; stir with spatula.
- If you want add-ins, add now.
- Rub butter on hand and form into popcorn balls; place on waxed paper.
- Take out un-popped kernels is important, unless you want to break a tooth! Do not over-pack your popcorn balls.
- If using food coloring, add to hot mixture before pouring over popped popcorn.
DIY Christmas Gifts
Food Gifts For Gift Giving!
Do you give food gifts to your family, friends and others?See results without voting
Let me know if you like these DIY food gifts!
More by this Author
Let me help you out with some great recipes to prepare for your July Fourth Celebration. Barbecue beef sandwiches, luscious banana pudding, red potato salad, avocado pico de gallo just to name a few!
Are you ready to have a spooky good time this Halloween? I have collected some recipes that everyone will be talking about days after the Halloween party is over. Check out these scary recipes!
Check out these recipes to help plan your Thanksgiving meal. Stuffing, dressing, sweet potatoes, dinner rolls, cranberry relish, pumpkin whoopie pies and much more! Happy Thanksgiving!