ST Valentine Patron Saint Of Lovers
Patron Saint of Lovers
February 14th is Saint Valentines day, but Who was Saint Valentine?.
The actual origins of the Patron saint of lovers is unknown but there are three differing opinions as to who he actualy was.
1) A Roman who was martyred for refusing to give up his Christianity on February 14th 269 A.D.,a day that had been devoted to love lotteries.
2) Saint Valentine was a prisoner who fell in love with the jailers daughter and left her a farewell letter signed "From your Valentine.
3) Valentine, a romantic at heart, disobeyed Emperor Claudius II's decree that soldiers remain bachelors. Claudius handed down this decree believing that soldiers would be distracted and unable to concentrate on fighting if they were married or engaged. Valentine defied the emperor and secretly performed marriage ceremonies. As a result of his defiance, Valentine was put to death on February 14. In 496 A.D. Pope Gelasius set aside February 14th to honour ST.Valentine.
No matter which of the 3 stories are true ST.Valentines day is Celebrated all over the world on February 14th when tokens and messages of love are exchanged,between lovers and hopeful singles.
ROSES ARE RED!!!!
Interesting Valentines day facts
Long before St Valentine lived, February 14th had strong links with fertility. The date traditionally is known for when birds choose their mates.
February 15th was the date of the Roman festival of Lupercalia - the Wolf - where young men held a lottery to decide which girl would be theirs.
Elaborate handmade messages, cards and gifts became popular during the 17th century.
In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who their valentines would be. They would wear these names on their sleeves for one week. To wear your heart on your sleeve now means that it is easy for other people to know how you are feeling.
Approximately 1 billion Valentine's Day cards are sent each year.
History of Valentines day
- History of Valentines day
Like other major holidays, Valentine's Day began as a Christian feast day with strong secular influences. In a way it can be said that a number of secular traditions and practices that came to be merged with the feast day of a semi-legendary saint in
Valentine's Day and Chocolate
- Valentine's Day and Chocolate
the emergence of chocolate hearts wrapped in bright red foil and small, heart shaped boxes of chocolate candy on store shelves announces the end of the Christmas season and beginning of Valentine's Day preparations.
More by this Author
A guide to married men to help them please the woman in their life on Valentines day
Funny Valentines Day jokes and poems to write on your valentines cards.
What time do my wages actually go into my bank account? A list of times that banks update user accounts and release funds.