Salem Witch Costumes for Halloween: Mary Sibley, Countess Marburg and More
So You Want to Be a Salem Witch?
So you say you want to be a Salem Witch? Or perhaps you just want to look like one for Halloween this year? It won't take spells or curses to get you the perfect costume to emulate your favorite witch...just a little creativity and patience. Whether you want to make, create or buy your Salem Witch Costume, I've got many ideas for you here.
You have a whole gaggle of witches to choose from within the Salem show theme: Mary Sibley, Tituba, Countess Marburg, Mercy Lewis, or Anne Hale. Personally, my favorite is Mary Sibley but who doesn't love her? Come with me on a trip to Salem where we will be inspired to be devilish witches this All Hallows' Eve!
Mary Sibley Halloween Costume Ideas
I don't know about you but when I think of Mary Sibley, some of the first things I think of are her beautiful long black hair and her beautiful gowns. So the first place you'll want to start is your hair. Do you already have long hair? Perfect! You don't have to do much with it then. If it's dark, then leave it as is. If you have lighter hair, then you can dye it temporarily or use chalk or hairspray to dye it darker for your Mary Sibley look. If you have short hair, why not getting a long black wig from your nearest Halloween store? You can find some pretty cheap ones that will look almost as good as the real thing.
Next thing you'll want to focus on is a Mary Sibley costume. Are you going to make one? Buy one? Thrift one? Here are some things you'll want to keep in mind while piecing your Mary Sibley costume together:
- you'll want a gown with a tight bodice and a large billowy skirt (or you can find a corset to put over a peasant top and a long bustled skirt)
- dark colors are best as Mary Sibley usually wears black, dark red, dark purple, etc.
- Mary Sibley is seen often wearing a black cape with a fur-lined hood (you can easily make this from a pattern if you don't want to buy one)
- get yourself a pair of black laced-up boots (Victorian style), these can be found in thrift stores or online for fairly cheap (try amazon)
While the style of the Puritans in seventeenth century Salem truly looked nothing like the TV Show Salem, don't be afraid to find Victorian style pieces as this is the style used for the show.
A perfect dress for Mary Sibley
Mercy Lewis Halloween Costume Ideas
You either love her or you hate her. There's no in-between feeling when it comes to the crazy, kooky yet entertaining Mercy Lewis on Salem. If you choose to dress as Mercy Lewis this Halloween, you have a few choices to decide upon.
A. Are you going to be the poor, possessed Mercy Lewis?
B. Or are you going to be Mercy Lewis when she becomes a witch?
If you're going with choice A, here's some ideas to get the ball rolling:
- construct a Scold's Bridle (as pictured) from pieces of fabric, hot glue, etc.
- Wear a raggedy, dirty old dress that you can get from a thrift store and tear apart to resemble Mercy's dress (pictured)
- find a "bald" or "shaved" head wig to wear under your bridle to look like Mercy at her worst
- put fake blood on one of your fingers to give the effect of a "bitten off" fingertip (Mercy bites her fingertip off in the first season)
If you're going with choice B, here are some ideas for a pretty Mercy Lewis costume:
- find a frilly, Victorian-style dress like the one shown below (you can find them for cheap on Spirit Halloween, Amazon or you can pay more for a custom costume on Etsy)
- make your own dress with a pattern and fabric from Joann's
- wear a corset with a long skirt and lace-up Victorian boots
- wear your hair down and curl it like Mercy's in the second season
A perfect Mercy Lewis Witch Costume!
Take part in a poll:
Which Salem witch is your favorite from the show?See results without voting
Countess Marburg Salem Witch Costume Ideas
The insatiable Countess Marburg. The woman who threatens Mary Sibley's power and life. The most powerful witch in Salem...or so she said. You can really have a lot of fun with your Countess Marburg Halloween Costume.
Here are the Countess Marburg costume must-haves:
- elaborate and fancy Victorian or Colonial-style gown with frills and lace, etc.
- or a corset with long skirt and boots
- purple furry coat
- large jewel necklace
- victorian boots
If you really want to go for it, you can have some fake blood dripping from your mouth or pour it over your body to look like Countess Marburg after one of her infamous blood baths!
A perfect Countess Marburg Costume Dress
Documentaries on Salem, Get Inspired for Halloween!
© 2015 Author Nicole Canfield
More by this Author
Some of the most intriguing and beautiful Halloween costume ideas are historical Halloween costumes for women. Historical Halloween costumes can range from Colonial costumes going all the way back to ancient Egyptian...
Not sure what you want to be this year for Halloween? Why not dress up as the life force on which we live and survive? Why not honor the earth by dressing in a mother earth costume or mother nature costume? The mother...
Learn how to look at birds as omens and how to listen to the messages they bring to us.