Sap's Valentine Day Playlist: 90s Love Songs
In the House
Okay, so I've already given you a full guide to Valentine's Day already, but for those of you in some straight sap Valentine's Day jams, then let's get this sappy party started!
These songs are just a collection of what I consider to be great 90s love songs. I'm leaving off some songs in hopes of a future hub, so don't get mad if you don't see your favorite jam on the list.
So if you're looking to impress your Valentine or just get yourself out of that funk that singles sometimes suffer, this is the hub for you.
The Gooey Gems of Love
Okay so I'm pretty much going to break this down into songs that are sure to make you melt and go from there.
- Truly, Madly, Deeply Savage Garden- I guess some of you already know how I like Savage Garden but the truth is this is a wonderful song that you can't go wrong with. I mean, while you may not want to actually bathe in the sea with that special someone, it gives you much to hope for.
- All My Life K-Ci and JoJo- As a North Carolinian, I feel it to be of the utmost importance to proclaim the vocal abilities of these brothers. Not only that song, but this song has the right amount of sentiment without being overly cheesy.
- I'd Die Without You PM Dawn- I haven't seen Boomerang but I love this song so much. It's simple, passionate, and the melody is simply amazing. One listen and you'll agree.
- Cowboy Take Me Away Dixie Chicks- This is for you Sunshine! But honestly, this song is sweet and it alludes to the good old days of Calgon :)!
- I Love You Always Forever Donna Lewis- I can't tell you how many times this song has been stuck inside of my head. But I can say I love at as much as I did when I was a second grader riding along in mom's car :).
- Still the One Shania Twain- Tragically, the person Shania sings about (ex-husband Mutt Lange) isn't the one for her but suffice to say the song is still beautiful. And it still resonates to this day.
- Kiss Me Sixpence None the Richer- I think of one thing when I hear this song, She's All That featuring Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Rachel Leigh Cook. And I don't care, because both were and still are very awesome!
- Forever My Lady Jodeci- The bad boy equivalent to Boyz II Men didn't last as long as the Philly fellas but their impact was just as great. I love how the narrator embraces a future and a family with his love.
- On Bended Knee Boyz II Men- I saw this song live and well, let's just say it was 1995 all over again. This song may be one of the most obvious cases of musical begging, but I pretty sure it works regardless.
Okay so this is the basic gooey songs, up next for us 90s devotees, the real goo.
Boy Band Deliciousness
If you were around in the 90s and female, I'm quite sure there was a boy band you liked. And if you didn't there was at least one song on your mix CD that you'd secretly play late at night :).
- I'll Never Break Your Heart Backstreet Boys- I'm an admitted *NSYNC follower, I will say BSB beat them hands down in the ballad game. Their harmonies combined with the doo wop feel of this song makes it awesome.
- (God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time On You *NSYNC- Speaking of those other five fellas from Orlando, this song is just too sweet. I know it was recorded by Alabama, but I love this version so much.
- Still In Love New Edition- Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky, Mike, Johnny (and sometimes Bobby) really came back full force with this song. It's tender lyrics are perfect for any romantic event.
- Cupid 112- 112 is essentially an R&B group whose shine was overshadowed by Diddy's other Bad Boy artists in the 90s but they still had great songs. This slow jam is the icing on the cake if you ask me.
- I Gotta Be Jagged Edge- Another R&B group that came about in the post-Jodeci and Boyz II Men heyday, they had some wonderful songs. I don't think they ever topped the simplicity of this song but that's okay, it's still wonderful.
- I Do (Cherish You) 98 Degrees- Originally recorded by country singer Mark Willis, this song became a wedding staple thanks to its appearance on the Notting Hill soundtrack.
- I Like The Way (The Kissing Game)- This song reflects the innocence and nostalgia of first love and how you'll always cherish it.
- Back Here BBMak- A forgotten boy band, but the song is pretty awesome.
- All 4 Love Color Me Badd- We have these fellows to thank for misspelled words in the pre-texting days but this is a sweet danceable love song.
- I Swear All 4 One- Another country cover that blew up beyond belief in the 90s. But it's still awesome.
Slow Dance Classics
Okay, this part of the hub is for songs that you can't help but cuddle with your teddy or your loved one to.
- Slow Jam Usher and Monica- I love this song and regard it as one of those songs that should have been a single. However, I digress. It's wonderful and features two of my favorite childhood singers.
- Angel of Mine Monica- Monica was at it again and she really did it up with this song from her second album.
- I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing Aerosmith- The bad boys of Boston did really well with this Diane Warren classic.
- I'll Stand By You The Pretenders- Another great group with a stunning and sentimental ballad.
- Always be My Baby Mariah Carey- Mariah essentially did no wrong in the 1990s and this is probably one of her most memorable songs. The remix is pretty sweet as well.
- How Do I Live LeAnn Rimes- I miss when all we talked about LeAnn's talent. But this song is just plain old awesome!
- I'm Ready Tevin Campbell- Essentially one of the best child singers of all time (sorry Beliebers), Tevin knocks it out of the park on this cut about the redemption of love.
This is the list of jams that are for those of you who have ever had a crush or fallen in love with someone but the love was not reciprocated.
- Have You Ever Brandy- I love this song for so many reasons, mainly because I consider it Brandy's most honest hit.
- Crush Jennifer Paige- Arguably one of the most promising one-hit wonders of the late 90s, she seemingly disappeared. This song did not, thankfully.
- Hey Lover- LL Cool J and Boyz II Men- This song and the collaborators are the 90s equivalent of peanut butter and chocolate, if you ask me.
- Girl on TV LFO- This song is more funny than anything but I still feel bad for that guy.
- Sometimes Britney Spears- Every girl has felt this way and if she tells you otherwise, don't believe her.
- Breakin' My Heart Mint Condition- I always enjoy hearing how a guy feels about the girl he longs for. And this song is too sweet not to ignore.
- Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover Sophie B. Hawkins- I associate this song with the infamous Dylan/Kelly summer love episodes of Beverly Hills, 90210 and I know I'm not the only one.
More by this Author
Great songs about women in celebration of Women's History Month.
What to buy, how to buy, and what you might want to think twice about before you buy
The history of the original version of Last Christmas as well as some covers that may interest music fans!