Simple Baby Shower Appetizers for Under $50
Easy and Budget-friendly Party Food
If you are unsure about what to serve for a causal baby shower and have a limited budget here are some ideas I recently put into action. Here's how to feed 25 guests light appetizers using less than $50.
The Quick and the Simple
Chicken Salad Sandwiches
-white and wheat bread (For color and texture contrast)
-prepared rotisserie style chicken (I like using this for my quick chicken salad because it insures juiciness and flavorful chicken without me having to roast it myself. Clean hands remove white meat only or white and dark meat. Or, if preferred use 3 large cans of all white meat chicken- drained.)
-mayo (approx: 2 cups)
-chopped pecans (approx: 1/2 cup)
-red seedless grapes cut into halves (approx: 1cup)
-salt and pepper to taste
*Combine all ingredients and chill before spreading on bread. Use one piece of white and wheat for each sandwich. Crustless of course, and cut into triangles like a proper Southern belle.
-crispy apples wedges
-red seedless grapes-strawberries (whole or de-stemmed)
-kiwi slices for garnish (However, it is absolutely okay if the guest of honor eats it...which totally happened.)
*Wash all fruit, cut, and chill until serving. Display on large platter in heaping piles. Use skewers or serving fork for guests to serve themselves.
Simple Fruit Dip
-2 packages of cream cheese (room temp. makes it easy to whip)
-1 large jar of marshmallow fluff
*Whip together with hand mixer, chill, and serve in funky or elegant bowl with strawberry garnish on top. Large spoon for self-portioning.
Turkey Roll Ups (the possibilities are ENDLESS.)
-any kind of tortilla or wrap (I used flavored wraps: sun-ripened tomato basil and spinach garden herb. The wraps were a great choice because their vivid colors added presentation points. Plus, they were on sale. Bonus!)
-any kind of sliced turkey (You can adapt this to any fanciness level, any kind of meat, or even make it meatless.)
-Crunchy shredded iceberg lettuce (Or spinach or romaine or sprouts)
-Vegetable flavored cream cheese (Or any flavor that sounds fitting...simply plain works, too.)
*Lay parchment paper on cutting board. Place wrap on paper + cream cheese over entire top side of wrap. Layer turkey + shredded lettuce on the half of wrap closest to you. Roll tight toward cream cheese only side. The cream cheese acts as a glue. Wrap and tape parchment deli sandwich style around finished tube and chill. Once chilled, remove paper and slice in 1'' pieces (like sushi rolls.)
-6 liters of Ginger Ale
-2 quarts of Lime Sherbet
*At the event, right before serving. mix ingredients in serving vessel. Use a vintage punch bowl and serve with mix/match punch cups for an unexpected touch.
Classy Casual Tips for Baby Showers
- Fresh flowers in vases or vintage pitchers for an eclectic look.
- Framed baby pictures of Parents-to-Be (everybody loves a good baby picture right? Whenever using a photograph on a tablescape, I like to frame an edited black and white or sepia tone copy of original.)
- Candles. What an old standby...You can never go wrong with tealights in vintage tea cups, cheap stemware or any other glass vessel. Just make sure you float tealights on at least a couple inches or more of water in the cup. It makes for easy cleanup- no wax to scrape out of the bottom. Also, add a drop of food coloring to the water before floating metal tealight in any clear glasses. Very pretty results to follow.
- Display plastic flatware (by type) in separate glass containers or dishes. Make every detail of the self-serving table as special as possible. Show a bit of purpose and effort, and don't waste time on meticulously crafting a "fan of plastic forks" that are sure to look pretty for less than 5 minutes. And definitely don't just leave the plasticware in the box you bought it in or throw them haphazardly on the table.
- Make a playlist of sweet baby related songs to play softly in the background. Then- you can give a copy to the guest of honor. (Example: "Beautiful Boy" by John Lennon and "Daughter" by Loudon Wainwright.)
Need Baby Shower Game Ideas?
- Baby Pools, A Great Baby Shower Game
Yes, the Baby Pool Shower Game, not a swimming pool! Hosting a baby pool is a great way for your friends, family and co-workers to share in the joy of your pregnancy and a new life.
- A different baby shower game
Tired of those BORING baby shower games? A friend of mine and I hosted a successful shower with THIS game... Prior to the party, pick a theme for this game. For example, a suitable baby shower theme could be...
- 7 Fun Baby Shower Games Perfect for Any Crowd
Planning a baby shower can be stressful, especially if you're planning the shower for a friend or family member. Every hostess's fear is that either the mom-to-be or the attendees will be disappointed with...
- Baby Shower Games
Are you planning a baby shower for a close friend? Do you need ideas for games to play at the shower? This hub is slam packed full of ideas for cheap and fun baby shower games. Make sure to hit a home run by playing these fun baby shower games.
- Fun Baby Shower Game Ideas
Depending on your perspective, games at a baby shower are either the most fun part or the most annoying part! Either way there are always games at a shower. Here are a few ideas of some fun games to play at...
- Homemade Baby Shower Games For A Fun Baby Shower
Need some homemade baby shower games? If you're in the position of organizing a baby shower, perhaps for your best friend or sister, you'll want to make sure the party has just the right combination of...
- Five Cheap Baby Shower Games
If you are the family member or friend that has so graciously volunteered to host a baby shower for the expectant Mom, then you have probably realized just how expensive it can be to host a shower these days....
- Fun Baby Shower Games for Pregnant Women
Baby shower is a special time for family gatherings, foods and games. Games can add a lot of fun to baby showers. Here are some fun baby shower games for pregnant women including bottle bowling game, water...
- 10 Easy and Fun Baby Shower Games
You are in charge of planning a baby shower and the last thing on your mind is probably the games that you're going to play at this event. Sure, it has crossed your mind that you need to figure out what...
- Fun and Easy Baby Shower Games
Baby showers are almost always filled with much fun, laughter, food, family, friends, gifts, and let's not forget- the games! Any one with a competitive spirit arrives at any baby shower with a feeling of...
More by this Author
Online shopping for quirky baby boy clothes is the perfect way to find that special conversation starter onesie. These graphic tees for wee ones make memorable and personal baby shower gifts.
No comments yet.