Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Feasts: It's Time to Exercise (No Gym Required)
Get ready, get set, do!
Weight gain? Here's a way to make the weight gain wait:
Already our students who are working on weight reduction and improving their health are concerned about how to avoid the almost traditional weight gains over the holidays. Here are tips I give them for some planning toward an even healthier holiday season this time around.
1. Plan some fun exercises you can include in the days ahead.
2. Taking a bus to a nearby indoor mall should be included in the fun, because the decorations will get you in the mood for the remaining holidays, and you can get in several miles of exercise just by walking where it is warm and fun.
3. Did you know you have a gymnasium right where you live? While commercial spa and fitness centers can charge "an arm and a leg" to give you access to expensive equipment, you can duplicate such fitness equipment on a shoestring! It doesn't require a swimming pool to duplicate such movements right in your living room (5-10 minutes). Leg lifts/abs/upper body strength can be done using leftover gallon milk jugs partially filled or filled with water, and doubled plastic shopping bags with a bag of salt or sugar inside (10 minutes). The tried and true calisthenic exercises (sit ups, squats, modified push ups) require no equipment at all (5 minutes). Those expensive "stair climbers" at the spa are no more than regular stairs at home or nearby (5 minutes). Most weather (when properly dressed) permits a good walk, perhaps with a hill or two thrown in, and this season of cool-to-cold air means you will burn those extra calories more quickly with no likelihood of the heat exhaustion which vigorous summer activity can produce (10-15 minutes).Furthermore, riding a stationary bike is never as much fun as riding a real one!
4. When it's icy underfoot, check the local bus schedule and catch the bus to stroll the malls. You won't just catch the "holiday spirit". You will find all the spirit which comes from regular, healthy exercise, and burning those extra holiday calories.
Happy holidays! Routine exercise could just be the best gift you can give yourself and your loved ones!
Besides, you can't burn many calories just sitting there writing all those holiday greetings cards, and at the table enjoying each of the holiday feasts!
Copyright 2012 Demas W. Jasper All rights reserved.
Some practical advice and insights into solid health practices and considerations.
- Looking Into Diets
No more of those "yo yo" diets of "gone today, back tomorrow." Take a good look at what can make a lasting difference in your life, love, and the pursuit of happiness.
Knowledge is power! Here is some that is essential to your health.
- 5 Diet Keys You Need To Know And Use
Weight gains lingering on? Here are the essential keys to maintaining a healthy weight all year long...for a longer, healthier life. You can count them on five fingers.
More by this Author
The USA has arrived at another crossroads where even backing up is another possible choice. What lies ahead for America? Here are some possibilities.
Real victories and promises that are kept have a huge impact on the morale of America's military. Perhaps morale is low because so few American leaders have any personal military experience.
We cannot really honor our veterans unless we understand and appreciate what they sacrificed for. Here is a best way to honor them.