The Ten Best Ways to Enjoy the Summer
Go Cruisin' in a Classic Car
10. Let’s face it, any owner of a classic car avoids bringing his baby out in inclement weather. That means that the car stays cocooned safely in the garage until at least spring. Then, after the ‘hands on’ attention of checking its vitals, sprucing it up, and taking it for a test drive, it is ready to show once more.
There’s nothing like a street lined with people who are waiting for a parade of cars from the 50’s, 60’s and even as far back as the 20’s. When your passion is owning and operating a classic car, you want to show it off. One can do this by joining a car club or networking with other Classic car enthusiasts to find out where the next cruise is taking place.
One of the biggest, and best Classic Car Cruises is the Detroit, Michigan: Woodward Dream Cruise. It began as a fund raiser for the city of Ferndale trying to raise money to build a soccer field. It was so well received that it has been ongoing now since 1995. Today it boasts over a million participants in this one day event.
Although this spectacular event occurs on the third Saturday of August, volunteers and sponsors work year round preparing for a flawless festival. If you are a Classic Car owner who has never witnessed or participated in the Woodward Dream Cruise you must make a point to do so. This is a classy, world-wide event that draws cars from as far away as Australia.
Classic Car Poll
Do you, or someone you know, own a classic car?See results without voting
The Fruits of Summer GardensClick thumbnail to view full-size
Enjoy Summer Gardens of all kinds
9. Admit it, you cannot grow cucumbers in the frozen ground, you have to wait for the spring fall and then the wonderful sun rays to bring out the best of your green thumb in the summer. Vegetable and flower gardens abound in the summertime. From big to small anyone can enjoy the benefits of a garden on a warm summer day.
Springtime brings the tractors out and the farmers earnestly prepare and plant. Summertime is the time to watch green growing taller with each passing week. Corn, butter beans, collards and watermelon are a few of the edible crops that grow abundantly in the south. But, if you don’t own a large parcel of land you can still enjoy the luxury of a garden.
Many people with apartments, condominiums that have garden restrictions, or have no yards to speak of have alternatives that can be just as productive. Two of the alternatives that I suggest are: container gardening or joining a community garden.
Being outdoors in the summer can be a fun adventureClick thumbnail to view full-size
Bocce Ball and Croquet are great Outdoor Activities
8. Bocce Ball is a lawn game that originated in Italy. It’s one of our family favorites along with croquet. These are two of the activities that are played in the summertime. Other outdoor activities that are typically saved for summer are picnics, baseball, camping, rock climbing, roller blading, golf, tennis, horseback riding, bicycling, hiking…well, you get the picture. Oh, and if you are fortunate, don’t forget the local outdoor movies. These used to be called drive-ins, but now local cities have set up movies in the park.
I know that there are many of these activities that can also be done at other times of the year by merely vacationing to a warm climate, or moving it indoors, such as the tennis, or horseback riding. I used to ride in the winter in an indoor arena, but there is nothing like the feel of the sun and breeze on your skin as you enjoy your sports interest on a summer’s day. And, speaking of riding, summer is the Kingpin for Theme Park attendance. Ride those roller coasters, you crazy daredevils!
Vacation Ideas:Click thumbnail to view full-size
Freedom to vacation and have fun
7. Oh, just the delight to NOT have to go to school or work-to break from the routine that shackles our spirits. The sun smiles down and there are no obligations or schedules to keep-and every teacher who survives to the last day of school relishes this truth. This is what Europeans call ‘holiday’, and it is sheer bliss to go away to some ‘other’ place and unwind.
We can decide to stay up late, or go to bed early and get up with the crack of dawn to set off on a new adventure. We can dress down, don our sneakers, and focus our attention on what we want to accomplish-if anything, in the weeks of summer.
Do you attend summer festivals?See results without voting
Jewelry is fun to make with friendsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Summertime brings Festivals, Fairs and Festivities
6. Advertised on billboards, radio stations, newspaper and television ads, one has to wonder if the winter fairies diligently devise new fun, family options the way Santa’s elves develop new toys to surprise children. Only, one doesn’t have to be a kid to enjoy all the cornucopia of summer events. Let’s name a few of the usual: State Fairs, Ethnic Festivals, Art Fairs, Jazz Festivals…the list goes on and on. There is so much to do on any weekend, and so little time to cram it all in.
How will you find out where to go and when the events occur? Try these standard advertisers: your local Chamber of Commerce; a AAA magazine or office; the local newspaper; your local radio or television station. And, don't forget word of mouth. When your neighbor packs the car up for an evening of 'Music in the Park' get the scoop from her and mark your calendar for the next scheduled performance.
Summer is for Reunions
Summer Grilling: Best BBQ's, Pig Pickin' Parties and Pool Parties happen in the summer
5. Speaking of good times, well there isn’t any comparison to the food that comes out in the summer. Although grilling is possible year round, when it comes to summer, BBQ is one of the first things that come to mind. So, for all of you gourmet chefs, sharpen your tools, pull out the ingredients for your best BBQ sauce, and watch for your opportunity to compete in a BBQ contest. Or, call over some company and show off your culinary skills.
But, summer isn’t all about BBQ. Don’t forget the ice cream. Yes, we can eat this dairy product anytime of the year, however, it is so much more delightful eating it on a hot summer’s day as it drips down your wrist, don’t you agree?
And, then there are the berries and other fruit. Summer brings out the lush taste of strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, thimbleberries, and so many more that I have not mentioned. Eat them right fresh and whole, add them to your recipe for sauces or desserts, or bake them in a pie. Yum!
And, remember the gardens and fairs mentioned in #9 and #6? Don’t forget the food taste fairs and the wonderful farmers markets, along with your own vegetable gardens. Even young children can participate in their own planting of beans and carrots.
Aquatic activities to enjoy in the summertimeClick thumbnail to view full-size
Summer weather is enjoyed whether its sunny or cloudy
2. I know I keep mentioning weather, like it is always perfect. I won’t mention the inclement weather that summer brings because this is about ten great things about summer. Who cares if it rains part of the day or part of the week-there’s no school! It’s fun to know that when the birds sing in the morning it is actually daylight-not dark out. Warm to hot, summer brings the sun, some clouds, a summer shower or two and then more sun. Enjoy it before Old Man Winter shows his grizzly face again.
If it gets too hot-jump in a pool of water or go see a movie in an air conditioned theatre, but be sure to stay well hydrated. Sunburn and Sun stroke are two seasonal ailments we can all avoid with some simple smart preparation.
If its rainy-take the kids to a museum or indoor arcade. Or, if it is a warm summer rain, let them splash out in the yard, as long as there are no thunder and lightening. Let them be a kid-they're only young once. Spontaneity is good for them, and for you as well. So, take your shoes off and go splash in a puddle along side of them.
4. What is summer without some form of water experience? When it’s hot, the water helps to cool us off. Swimming in a pool or lake is a sterling summer experience. Ever have a job as a lifeguard? Ever date a lifeguard? Ever feign drowning to meet a lifeguard? Well, whether you hang out at the local pool, a beach at a manmade lake, or have the exquisite opportunity to be seaside, summer is the absolute right time for water lounging.
Here are some water sports that are popular in the summer season: snorkeling, surfing, boating, deep sea fishing, jet skiing, water skiing, high diving, swimming, rafting, tubing, and water sliding.
Summer Music that Rocks
3. The joys of summertime were written in many songs. Think of some of the titles that have stood the test of time: Summertime by George Gershwin, In the Good Ole Summertime by Ren Shields and George Evans, and my personal favorite, In the Summertime by Mungo Jerry. For those who are curious about why this song is a favorite of mine, it is a lighthearted song that has a catchy, upbeat melody. Sometimes, when I hear a song, I envision scenes related to dance. In this song, I pictured giant black ants invading a picnic lunch and later actually did choreograph a dance number with this theme.
And, which group made beach music popular? When I think of summer music I think of the old Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon movies; or Elvis Presley and any number of his dream girl hits. Then, there were the songs by the Beach Boys…
Nothing compares to sitting on a hillside while listening to an outdoor music concert. The air is warm, the stars are out and the ambience is perfect with a nice bottle of wine to share with someone special. Outdoor concerts don’t have to cost an arm and a leg. In fact, this is one of the great economical entertainments within your own local city. Grab the kids, the blankets or lawn chairs and set them up for the FREE music in the park that comes with the season.
Cheers to a Fun Summer!
Drum Roll Please...and Number 1 is:
Relaxation is the number one best thing about summer; the opportunity to relax. How will you do this is up to you. I just left you with nine different categories to seek fun and frolic…you do the rest!
Favorite Summertime Activity Poll:
Which of these activities is your favorite:See results without voting
More by this Author
Mental illness affects one in four adults. In some cases, commitment to a psychiatric facility is the best process to protects all parties. Here are the facts about involuntary commitment.
A totem is a natural object that has special meaning for that person. Butterflies are a favorite totem for many people. Read more to find out about butterflies and the meaning of their colors.
If you're in a hurry to go out and don't have time to wash clothes, follow these proven tips to make dirty clothes smell clean (and fool those standing near you!).