Valentine's Day Photo Ideas: Photography Props and More
Valentine's Day is an ideal opportunity for infant, kid, and couple photo sessions. This year consider using fun props, accessories, and backdrops. With ideas ranging from baby props to banners and backdrops, there is something here for everyone.
Just a Few Valentine's Day Props and Backdrops Shoot Options
Newborn Babies and Infants
Valentine's Day Weddings
Baby and Little Kid Prop Ideas
- "Be Mine" heart. You can put any saying that you want on a prop heart, but this is one of the most popular choices.
- Bow and arrow. Make sure that the props are an appropriate size for the subjects.
- Chalkboard with a Valentine's Day phrase written on it.
- Heart shaped balloons.
- Heart shaped pillow. A small pillow makes a great prop while a baby or even a small child can lay on a large pillow.
- Hearts on sticks. This is simple and inexpensive.
- Mustaches on sticks. For some reason, mustaches are a popular theme for many different occasions. Valentine's Day is no exception.
- Kissing booth props. Some people go beyond the "kissing booth" banner and include a sign with a price tag.
- Large conversation hearts. With proper care, fabric conversation hearts will hold up for years to come.
- Lollipops. This post contains lots of inspiration for lollipop photography.
- Wooden blocks with hearts and/or Valentine's Day sayings. For people who like to decorate their homes for the holiday, this is a great option.
Great Prop Resource!
Newborn Photography Posing And Baby Photo Ideas - Step By Step
Baby and Little Kids Accessories
- Beanie hats. Beanie hats are a very popular photo prop right now. They are easy to make and are also ready available online and in stores in a wide variety of sizes and colors.
- Bow ties and neckties for boys. There are a lot more accessory options for girls, but the choices available for boys are adorable, too.
- Heart, flower, and/or Valentine's Day color themed headbands. It is not difficult to find or make headbands for babies, girls, and women that are great for photo shoots.
- Heart patches for shirts, pants, skirts, and dresses. If you don't want to create or purchase heart themed clothing, consider making removal patches that you can simply pin onto clothing.
- Heart shaped sunglasses. Women may enjoy this accessory, too, but it will be easier to find in child sizes.
How to crochet basic Beanie Tutorial/ all sizes, baby to adult
Tip: Many of these ideas work for groups of friends who are looking for fun photo ideas on Valentine's Day.
- Bow and arrow. This is a classic prop choice for people of all ages. Again, make sure that the props are an appropriate size for the subjects.
- Chalkboard with Valentine's Day phrase written on it.
- "Lighted" hearts prop. Professional photographers who shoot a lot of couples, especially for engagement sessions and weddings, may want to take the time to do this DIY project. Otherwise, if you simply enjoy Valentine's Day décor, you may still think that it's worth the effort.
- Mustaches on sticks. This is another option that is great for both kids and adults. There are lots of free mustache templates available online if you want to make these yourself.
- Valentine's Day themed food items. There is no end of possibilities here. You can play up the romantic angle or keep it more classic and fun.
A banner is a simple way to create a Valentine's Day backdrop for virtually any setting. Consider creating a banner that is versatile enough to use for other occasions and/or is sturdy enough to pull out again in following years. Here are just a few popular ideas for Valentine's Day banners. You can mix and match them as you like.
- "Love is all you need."
- "Kissing booth."
- "Be mine."
- Pendants with hearts. Many people opt to use burlap to create a rustic aesthetic.
- "XOXO" (repeated as many times as you want)
- "I love you" in different languages
- Photos of the couple, family, or friends
- Paper or fabric hearts
Banner Tutorials and Printables
- A wall covered in envelopes. Red and white envelopes both work well and are readily available. You can also use a combination of the two colors.
- Recycled wrapping paper is a great option for babies and small children.
- A giant paint chip Valentine. This is definitely one of the most inspired and original Valentine's Day décor ideas out there. Directions are included.
- Ribbon backdrop. There are numerous examples of this concept online. This one has a Valentine's Day color theme, but of course you can tweak it as you like.
Fuji Guys Tips - Low Light Photography (Valentine's Day)
More photography resources from the author.
- Winter Photo Ideas
Don't let the colder temperatures during the winter months deter you from exploring a variety of photography shoots. Think about multiple items and settings for props and backgrounds.
- Leading Line Photography: Photo Tips and Ideas
This article provides tips about and inspiration for leading lines in photography for all types of photographers from beginner to professional. There are lots of photo examples to get your wheels turning for your next shoot.
- Buying DSLR Camera Lenses: How to Pick the Lenses That You Need
Are you trying to decide which DSLR camera lens is the right lens for you? Learn how to use buying guides, reviews, product comparisons, and more to make an educated decision about your next purchase.
More by this Author
Are you looking for Valentine's Day home decor ideas? This article has over ten tutorials for easy decorating craft ideas, many of which you can make with kids.
Are you looking for reading comprehension and other literacy activities, themes, and ideas for kids this Valentine's Day? There are a wide range of fun options for preschoolers and kindergarteners.
This article is a collection of sample interview questions and answers for special education teachers. It also contains a number of tips and considerations for the interview.