Flag Day--What About It?
Want to Know What to Make of Flag Day?
• Do you feel a mixture of somber appreciation combined with festive excitement when you think about America’s stars and stripes on June 14?
• Do you want to know how to make the most of this national holiday with your kids, other family members, and friends in simple ways?
• Do you know veterans that you could remember and honor on Flag Day as part of your Flag Day celebration, as well as on other patriotic holidays?
• Do you know that Flag Day is a really easy day to commemorate and celebrate even if you have limited time and resources?
Display Your Flag!
First things first, yes? Plan now to put up a flag on June 14 since our flag of stars and stripes is the focus of the day. The flag does not have to be expensive and it does not need other decorations. A simple presentation is often the most effective and appropriate display.
On Flag Day, many American homes will be displaying a flag by their front doors or on their front lawns. There will also be patriotic banners in windows and on porches, and storefronts will follow suit with other decorations and merchandise.
Dining room tables might display American flag centerpieces, and office desks will have flag posters above them. From daycare centers to nursing homes, the red, white, and blue will be showcased for all to see.
Get Involved with Celebrating Flag Day in Your Community
Some towns will go so far as to have a gathering at their city hall, and more rarely there will be a small parade. For the most part, though, it is up to families to highlight Flag Day in their homes and communities, and it is important for them to do so.
This holiday celebration doesn't have to be on quite the same scale as our cranked up 4th of July bashes. While this day is certainly a great one for a cookout, keeping the temperature of this patriotic event down a degree or two is easily done and it is fitting for the occasion.
We can know what to do about Flag Day by keeping in mind that it is easy to show our patriotism and highlight our red, white, and blue theme in just one way, or by all of the following options:
• Foods can copy the colors of our flag from beverages to desserts. What’s simpler than strawberries and blueberries on vanilla ice cream? Anyone for cupcakes with a flag pick in the top? How about one of those salads with strawberries and blueberries? Red and blue jelly on a peanut butter sandwich for little ones? Pancakes or French toast topped with the red and blue berries? (I guess you would have to call it American toast for this day!)
• Decorations for mealtime could be as simple as red, white, and blue napkins, or you could go all out with plates, napkins, and tablecloth decorated for patriotic events. Using disposables for Flag Day would make it super easy to have a picnic in the back yard. Don't forget to decorate your garden areas for the picnic!
• Patriotic crafts could be as simple as making Flag Day cards for dad and/or grandparents, or as elaborate as creating artsy items from craft kits to designing jewelry, and more. From painting T-shirts to making bracelets, from working with foam sheets to making metal rubbings for outdoor art, this is a great opportunity to enjoy crafting and kits are available for all ages and ability levels. (Be sure to check out the videos below!)
• Game time opportunities should not be missed on this summer holiday. Water balloons in patriotic colors would make a great splash with kids of all ages. Relay races with red, white, and blue batons or flags would keep the theme going. You won’t have any trouble thinking up or searching on the web for fun outdoor games to make your picnic memorable.
Patriotic Greeting Card Craft for Flag Day:
More About Flag Day
So it is easier for you to think through your Flag Day celebration I'm including a few sites I found interesting. You’ll find snips of information on America's history and flag, patriotic music, with fun stuff for big and little kids. The useful activities make learning fun.
• Here are some class act American holiday crafts to do with kids to help them celebrate this patriotic day.
• Print full-color patriotic bookmarks to use at parties, give to veterans, and use to help others remember Flag Day's meaning.
• Check out this post and help the kids make a fabulous Flag Day wreath that your family can enjoy.
• Here is a place for you to find loads of Flag Day activities for kids to do at picnics, reunions, and parties.
• Flag Day on Pinterest is filled with ideas for decorating, crafting, and more.
• Flag Day on flickr is an eye opening experience!
• Use this post to guide children in understanding the patriotic symbols.
• Here’s an info site for Flag Day--learn more about vexillology than simply how to spell it!
• Here’s a quiz for all the big kids in your group.
• Here’s an American flag timeline for you to check out with the kiddos.
• Patriotic resources for children are useful to parents and teachers.
• You can share more info on useful patriotic sites for others to use in comments below.
"He's wounded--that's what we do. We're Americans."
Special Note for Everyone:
No matter what country you live in it is most often a good thing to join in celebrating their patriotic holidays and respecting their heritage with them. Begin by learning more about America's Flag Day and checking out the dates that other countries celebrate their national day. Remember, peoples histories are who they are whether popular opinion agrees or not.
Paint a Patriotic Fireworks T-shirt
Broad Stripes, Bright Stars On This Patriotic Holiday:
More About how to Celebrate:
Read more about celebrating patriotic holidays:
• Happy 4th of July to the United States of America!
• Thank you to our military with useful information on how to support personnel and/or their families.
• Remembering on Memorial Day and learning about how to help veterans.
• On our national anthem.
• Amazing watermelon cake!
More by this Author
Why have a Thanksgiving holiday?
A creative look at America's Flag Day to help you enjoy a little trip across the country to celebrate June 14. Relax and check out some coast to coast photos and patriotic videos.
Want to know about some concrete driveway solutions for new construction, a remodel, or repair that provide green space options? These ideas range from why-didn't-I-think-of-that to new products.