Does anyone know who decides what day Easter is celebrated each year or what decides the day?

I have always been curious why the day we celebrate Easter is different each year and wondered if anyone knows the reason. I know we do not know the exact day of the Resurrection, but who or what determines the day each year? (I remember last year it was on April 20th here in the US because it was one of my granddaughter's birthday. So, I was thrown off this year at it being so much early.) Thank you for answering.

Patty Inglish, MS profile image89

Best Answer Patty Inglish (Patty Inglish, MS) says

Faith Reaper 21 months ago

Hi Patty, wow, this is all fascinating to me. Thank you for giving such a detailed answer here which provides much insight now. I appreciate you. Oh, that would be nice to celebrate twice!

tirelesstraveler profile image87

Judy Specht (tirelesstraveler) says

Faith Reaper 21 months ago

Hi Judy,

Wow, this is all so very interesting to me. It is complicated no doubt! All of this happening on the same days and then with Hanukkah and Thanksgiving at the same time, certainly is unusual and amazing. I appreciate you sharing here.

Phyllis Doyle profile image93

Phyllis Doyle Burns (Phyllis Doyle) says

Faith Reaper 21 months ago

Oh, cool, Phyllis, obviously I had no clue! Thank you for answering.

Jackie Lynnley profile image76

Jackie Lynnley says

Faith Reaper 21 months ago

Hi Jackie, that is interesting and maybe the Jewish calendar is based on the moon as others have answered? Good answer.