Christmas is the most widely celebrated of all Christian festivals. The name comes from the Old English "Christes Maesse" or Christ ‘s Mass. For Christians of all dominations it is the time to celebrate the coming of Christ, God's Son, to earth. As Christians believe this is to be the greatest of all gifts that God could give to humanity.
I always look forward to Christmas, not because of gifts and long vacation, it is my favourite time of the year, it is a time of great thanksgiving and family celebration.
Over the years of writing at HubPAges, I have written different hubs about Christmas. I plan to write more, I hope you will find my collection informative and useful.
- The Three Wise Men - The Christmas cycle ends with the festival of Epiphany, this day concentrates on the visit of the Magi (the Wise Men) to the infant Jesus.
St Nicholas becomes Santa Claus - this is the story of how a bishop of Myra in Asia Minor in the 4th century(St Nicholas) becomes Santa Claus as we know him today.
The Nativity Scene - The crib, representing the manger in which the baby Jesus Christ was laid after his birth in a stable in Bethlehem, has become a favourite Christmas decoration for Christian.
Poinsettia - The story of the Christams fflower named Poinsettia that was named after Joel Roberts Poinsett, who served as the USA first ambassador to Mexico from 1825 to 1829.
St Lucia Day - The story of a young girl name Lucia who was martyred for her Christian beliefs in the 4th century in Sicily at the time of Emperor Diocletian.
Christmas Trivia Quiz - All things about Christmas, Free Christmas trivia quiz, for you to enjoy during the holiday seasons.
Christmas Carols for Children - Christmas can't be far away, the marketing blitz has begun, festive music fills the air wave, if you are looking for songs for your kids to sing during the Christmas season, this hubs provides you with lyrics and some YouTube video os some of the most popular Christmas carols.
The Story of Silent Night - this wonderful Christmas song has an amazing story.
Santa Claus - a special job for a special person - The story of Santa Claus has its origins in the legends surrounding the generosity of Saint Nicholas, whose feast day is celebrated on 06 December. To be a Santa requires some special characteristics, read this interesting hubs about this special job.
Quotations about Christmas - Christmas sayings and quotations may vary from sharp-witted, hilarious one liners to thought provoking words.
Born on Christmas Day - Christmas is a special day, a time to celebrate - a time of rejoicing of solemn thanksgiving, a time of being together with family and friends especially if you are born on this day.
Say Merry Christmas on Different Languages - Its Christmas time around the world and people exchange gifts and wishes in this special time of the year. Good will wishes are expressed in many different languages during this joyous time. Learn more...
- The First Christmas Card- The first commercial Christmas card was designed and printed in London in 1843, at the suggestion of British businessman, Sir Henry Cole and featured an illustration of John Callcott Horsley.
- UNICEF Christmas Card - This hubs tells us the story of the first UNICEF card.
- Christmas Cards from Australia - A collection of Christmas cards from Australia.
White Christmas - White Christmas is a delicious Christmas time treat for you and your family to make and eat or to wrap in colourful cellophane and give to family and friends as gifts for the holiday seasons
Parol - Filipino Christmas Lantern
Christmas In The Philippines
- Christmas in the Philippines - The celebration of Christmas in the Philippines begins on the 16th of December and ends on the first Sunday of January which is the feast of the three kings.
- Parol - is Filipino Christmas lantern, a traditional Filipino Christmas decoration. Parol is a five point star-shaped Christmas lantern, originally made of thin bamboo frames and covered with colored cellophane or with rice paper also known as papel de japon.
- Monito Monita - Exchange Gifts - Christmas is the season of gift giving. In keeping with the tradition of giving, Filipinos have their own version of exchanging gifts or Kris Kringle, it is called "Monito Monita".
- Christmas Caroling in the Philippines - Caroling is a part of the Filipino Christmas tradition. Once the Dawn Mass known as "Misa de Gallo" or "Simbang Gabi " starts, carolers will be on their feet singing Christmas carols from house to house.
- New Year Celebration in the Philippines - New Year's eve celebration in the Philippines is quite different compared to other countries. Filipinos literally start the year with a bang. Just a few days before New Year's eve, you will see lots of sidewalk vendors selling firecrackers.
More by this Author
A collection of popular and favorite Christmas Carols for kids, includes YouTube clips and interesting facts about the Christmas song.
Christmas is the season of gift giving. In keeping with the tradition of giving, Filipinos have their own version of exchanging gifts or Kris Kringle, it is called "Monito Monita."
Explanations of the different Catholic symbols: these symbols act as badges of faith, teaching tools, and aids on the journey towards an understanding of complex philosophies. Images included.