jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Black Friday

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image86
    Jacqueline4390posted 3 years ago

Who invented the term "Black Friday"? And, is it just me or does the holiday season in the stores come earlier and earlier?

1. Rod Rainey profile image81
      Rod Raineyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Black Friday was first used to mark the gold market crash on September 24, 1869 and later in 1978 there was a massacre of protesters by the Iranian government that would be remembered as Black Friday.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image83
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I do not know who invented it but whenever I hear 'Black Friday' I think of Halloween not - Thansgiving or sales.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image94
        FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago in reply to this

When I hear the term "Black Friday" I think of the Megadeth song, "Good Mourning/Black Friday."

...but that's probably just me.

1. Rod Rainey profile image81
          Rod Raineyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

me too. I heard it said once that the song was about the massacre of 78 (don't know if it's true) which is why I remember that Black Friday.

2. Mark Lees profile image86
    Mark Leesposted 3 years ago

The term originates in Philadelphia I believe, and referred to the traffic congestion caused by people returning to work after the thanksgiving holiday. It was later changed to refer to the day of the year that shops start making a profit- and became associate with aggressive marketing campaigns.

I'm not from the US so I may have missed something important, but I hope this helps.

Jacqueline4390posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I've always wondered about why it was called that. It seems like it can be a pretty dangerous time when people have waited all night for it. There is even a Black Friday on the Internet. That does seem like a safe alternative, do you think?

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Close, except that it is not the day profits begin.  That part was a little story designed to promote people into freeing up their wallets.

I researched all this last year and wrote it up as a hub.  Rather interesting.

Jacqueline4390posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I need to check out that hub but can you give a synopsis. Sure would appreciate you :-)

3. Mark Lees profile image86
    Mark Leesposted 3 years ago

I think it is not only safer but you are more likely to get what you want- no risking things being gone from the shelves you can just order them straight from the warehouse.

4. 101Ways2Life profile image90
    101Ways2Lifeposted 3 years ago

As many have pointed out, Black Friday was termed as such by  the Philadelphia Police. It has negative connotation for the police because it brings traffic jams as it marks the beginning of the Christmas shopping season.

I share my experience about getting a bargain at Black Friday sales: How to get best deals at Black Friday

working